August 2015 Moms

Old People Say the Darndest Things!

I was at a new client's house today, I do home health care, and the lady is asking me about my pregnancy, as I expected she would, when we got to the question about when I'm due she looked me square in the eye and said:
"You're so big! Pretty soon you won't be able to fit through the door!"
I just smiled and laughed a little, but on the inside I wanted to burst into tears!

Has anyone else been experiencing people without a filter yet?

Re: Old People Say the Darndest Things!

• I feel ya! We've been told we're nuts because we didn't find out our baby's gender. I'm very petite 5'2" and weighed 115 when I got pregnant...i started to show at 8 weeks and really popped out right at 12, since then I've received nothing but annoying comments... are you sure you're not having twins, there's only 1 in there, you're huge, your baby must be huge and so on! In addition to the size comments, I'm getting evaluated from every angle and head to toe with dozens of "old wives tales" regarding baby's gender; your butt us bigger, = girl, your butt is the same but your hips filled out =girl your butt is the same = boy, , your face is chubby, your face looks good... i swear all manners go out the window when people see a pregnant gal!
  • No one has said anything quite that mean yet but I have gotten several people who say "you must be ready any day" to which I reply "I'm due in August" and they always try to awkwardly change the subject. My MIL also likes to say, every time I see her for at least the last month, "you're definitely pregnant" as she stares at my belly.

People must forget that bellies grow when there is a baby inside because there have been a lot of people on this board getting similar comments and we can't all be that big for how far along we are!
  • Loading the player...
  • KyNo0405 said:

I feel ya! We've been told we're nuts because we didn't find out our baby's gender. I'm very petite 5'2" and weighed 115 when I got pregnant...i started to show at 8 weeks and really popped out right at 12, since then I've received nothing but annoying comments... are you sure you're not having twins, there's only 1 in there, you're huge, your baby must be huge and so on! In addition to the size comments, I'm getting evaluated from every angle and head to toe with dozens of "old wives tales" regarding baby's gender; your butt us bigger, = girl, your butt is the same but your hips filled out =girl your butt is the same = boy, , your face is chubby, your face looks good... i swear all manners go out the window when people see a pregnant gal!

Yes!!! To all of this! I am petite as well, 5' and I was about 105 when I got pregnant. I too started showing really early, and I am carrying her all out front!

In other people's defense though, I am bigger than my 38wk friend....
  • @Kimk1616 exactly. There is NO way we are all THAT big...
  • I had a older store clerk ask me when I was due. When I told her August, she said I was carrying very low and there was no way I would make it. That was at the beginning of May.
  • My grandmother told me I'm as big as a house. Gee thanks.
  • I saw my grandpa a few hours ago, and he hugged me and said, "Hey there, Fat Lady!"
  • mroutt2mroutt2 member
    I went to dinner with my Grandfather and his Girlfriend. I went to sit at the table and she told me "pretty soon you won't be able to fit." I just laughed it off but wanted to cry.
  • dpmm93dpmm93 member
    My uncle said "wow, you've gotten really fat...what have you been eating?" ... Seriously? It's true, all filters go out the window when there's a pregnant lady around
  • mrieemriee member
    Why do people ever think it's acceptable to comment on someones physical appearance ever? But especially when they're pregnant it's so rude I'll never understand it. I get lots of you're STILL wearing heels?! yep there's a baby in there and the classic you must be ready to pop any day now huh?
  • Yeah us petite girls have no where to carry but out... What do people expect!! 5'1" and popped at like 16weeks. I was walking into our church for a meeting the other day and one of the older gentleman was like "wow you barely made it through that door". I was not feeling good that day so I chose to say nothing and just sat down. He is also the same person who chose to laugh everytime he sees me because I waddle when I get tired. You try carrying a human being inside and see if your body doesn't change. Ugh.
  • It's crazy how some people think its ok to comment on a perfect stranger's size... I'm just going to start responding by asking if they'd say that to me if I wasn't pregnant.