August 2015 Moms

Natural Birth.

I believe I can give birth without an epidural. Women have been doing it for centuries. Every time I tell someone my plans for a natural birth I get told I'm crazy and I'll want the drugs. Is it really unbeareble? Or do your motherly instincts just take over and all the pain subsides?

Best Answer

Re: Natural Birth.

• Loading the player...
  • I've had 2 med-free births. It's totally possible.
  • There is a natural birth board with lots of stories, advice, encouragement etc

• There is a natural birth board with lots of stories, advice, encouragement etc

I've never been able to find the natural birth board. Help?

Yea I couldn't find it either.
  • I've done one med free and it isn't as bad as people think. I would like to do it again this time around as it was a way better experience than my medicated birth.
  • My mom had four out of five children naturally! I plan to try my best to do it naturally. You can do this!!!
  • I am FTM but I will be trying natural birth! God willing of course! If they could do it, we can do it!
  • I'm planning on having a natural birth, too. I've been reading about the Bradley Method from a book called "Husband Coached Childbirth". It's great so far & makes me feel very capable :) My mom had all 3 of us girls (older sister then 16 months later, my twin and I) all natural. she was the strongest woman I've ever known, and among other things, I want to do natural to honor her.
  • I really think it depends on 2 factors. The length of your labor and having adequate support. I tried twice for a med free birth and caved both times. I wish I had hired a doula. I got an epi after 24 hrs of active labor with pitocin with #1 and after 12hrs with #2. My progress was super slow despite frequent contractions. FWIW both labors ended with failure to progress so I had csections anyway.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I went med free without a doula, just my husband and OB and nurses. I took grief about it ahead of time too which was annoying. But I made the best decisions for me and my baby. It was really hard and painful but I got my baby out of the deal and recovery wasn't bad. I didn't take classes, I just rented videos and books from the library. Luckily I had a fast labor too.

Yea I couldn't find it either.
    Use the search button at the bottom. Once you get to search page there is a scroll bar for search in specific boards. Scroll all the way up to Natural Birth. I know that sounds awkward but that's the easiest way I can describe it!

• I've had one med free birth in hospital and hope for another. The pain does NOT subside so I suggest you do some research into meditation and mindfulness techniques such as hypnobirthing to help you work through the pain. I plan to try more of that this time (last time I was just lucky I progressed quickly - even so it was the worst pain imaginable).

When I mention to anyone that I prefer to go drug free (mainly because I don't like how they make me feel) I get things like 'it's not a competition' or something about being a hippy.... I'm not sure why everyone else has such a vested interest in whether I have pain medication during my births or not.
  • I got some flack feom my mom before my first pregnancy for wanting to go natural. I lasted a long time but finally caved after having a really long labor. I hit a wall that most women hit when i felt so exhausted and gave up. I dont have any regrets, but i know that had i prepared myself a little better that i couod have done it. I didnt know anything about having a natural birth and went in completely blind with the expectation that i could jusy breeze through it. This time, im taking a birthing class and reading up on relaxation techniques. If you go in blind like i did, the chance that youll stick to your guns is probably pretty slim. But if you go in with knowledge of what to do to make it easier on yourself, your chances are better. And theres nothing wrong with an epidural if you do decide to get one, so dont beat yourself up if it comes to that.