January 2016 Moms

No energy at all

I know pregnancy can cause fatigue and I have been dealing with it since week 5. I used to run at the gym 3 times a week and could not even run more than a quarter of a mile without feeling exhausted. I am now 7 weeks along and now I have no energy to do anything at all. I sleep 11 hours a night and still have no motivation to move and take numerous naps. It is even tough for me to stay focused on TV and/or my computer. I used to be a multi tasker, but now my husband will catch me staring into nowhere's land with a laptop on my lap.

It's starting to concern me now since it is getting worse. Now I am wondering if this is really fatigue or if this is turning into some sort of depression, which I have a history of when I was younger. Does anyone's fatigue feel like this as well?

Re: No energy at all

• mickle1mickle1 member
    edited May 2015
    Hi there -- I'm a very energetic person. In addition to my full-time job, I work out almost every day and teach yoga. I'm up at 6:30 and fall asleep at midnight. No naps. No yawns. I am a well-oiled machine....

Until pregnancy!! I have taken a 3 hour nap every day for the past week and my energy during workouts is definitely low. I'm listening to my body and giving it what it's asking for, but it's not fun or easy. My husband keeps laughing at me because this is so out of character. My advice is to be patient, find at least one thing that you can do each day that's outside the house (social, exercise, etc.) to make sure that you don't get stuck in a rut.

Sending positive energy your way!

TTC since 2/15
    BFP: 5/12/15
    EDD: 1/19/16

• EbiejayEbiejay member
    I'm in the same boat! I'm usually energetic, lots of running. This last week I've not had the energy to do much at all, my runs are pathetic, and today I got smacked in the face with real fatigue... 2 naps, not able to focus on anything, even climbing the stairs has me wanting to lie down!

Most likely you're just hit hard by pregnancy fatigue, but if you're really concerned it could be depression then see your doctor about it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I also have a history of depression. I have been medicated, and since then off medication for a few years now. Since I've been pregnant, I sleep ALL. The time. Like just as much as you've described. I think it's relatively normal. You are growing a human, even though you can't see it, and the energy has to come from somewhere! However, check up on your thoughts and attitude. Only you know your heart and what's going on inside. As far as being sleepy, I think you're okay. Do not put off getting help if you catch yourself in a funk.

Try getting some sunlight (it battles depression). Even if you don't have the energy to go on a walk, go to the park and read a book, or maybe even sit on your porch. Just as long as you're getting some sun.
  • This sounds like me in both my pregnancies. My OB said that this is the fatigue equivalent of Hyperemesis Gravidarum. Some people get morning sickness, others get it to a horrific level... The same applies here but with exhaustion/fatigue. I most definitely suffered last time and I can feel the same starting this time too.
    Be very careful and as one poster said just give your body what it's asking for. Especially if you don't have to be doing anything else.
    Be careful driving too, driving fatigued slows your response time down hugely and can actually be worse than being drunk.
    I didn't rest enough last time and I paid the price later in the pregnancy and after the birth, just take it easy.