October 2015 Moms

Caffeine Withdrawal Help

Any tips on overcoming the headaches of caffeine withdrawal. I only drink half a cup of coffee a day, but going without makes my head ache like no other...any tips?

Re: Caffeine Withdrawal Help

• Tylenol is my best friend.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• rue:Drue:D member
    Wish I had a suggestion. The headaches are why I can't quit caffeine.
  • Loading the player...
  • lots and lots of water, or spread the cup of coffee throughout the day. I drink a half cup in the morning and a half cup around 2-3 pm, usually helps!
  • If you go with less coffee each day rather than just going without, your body becomes used to the decreased amount. It's kind of like weaning off of the stimulant. Switch to half-caff and then decaf if you still plan to drink coffee but don't care for the caffeine. I'll continue to enjoy my 2 half-caffs a day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Great idea about the half caff!! I really enjoy my morning coffee. I just heard caffeine can cause low birth weight...anyone have anymore insight on ill effects or is caffeine really not THAT bad. I'm also lagging in at these 22 weeks (I think we may be having a growth spurt) so caffeine helps and head aches can not be tolerated :) Thanks for your help!! I'm so relieved I'm not the only one and can chat on here without having to feel judged. I have mych love for this group <3
  • aah1013aah1013 member
    For me when I've given up caffeine, my headaches usually are gone after 3 days. Have you tried to just ride them out?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doctor says it's fine as long as I limit my caffeine to about a cup a day. I stopped drinking all caffeine while trying to get pregnant and was totally fine without it until midway through the first trimester I started having daily headaches and the only thing that helped was a cup of coffee. I know some doctors vary on how much caffeine you should have but I think as long as you limit your intake it's fine.
  • Check the amount of coffee and mg of caffeine per oz. You can do a quick internet search to find out how much caffeine is in most things. My doctor says the concern is rooted in miscarriage in the first trimester. She is fairly conservative with most things (she doesn't even agree with NA beer), but when it comes to caffeine, she said a couple cups a day is fine. I have heard 150-200mg as a pretty common rule of thumb for daily intake for a pregnant woman. I certainly haven't cut it out completely :)

• I drank caffeine through my entire pregnancy with my first. Her birth weight was totally normal. I cut back but not significantly.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• I had severe migraines, in which I had to get an IV and meds, because I gave up coffee before getting pregnant. The withdrawals are intense and everyone is different. I used to drink only one medium coffee a day before pregnant. Now, when I'm in the mood for coffee I get a small coffee with half decaf. It seems to help. Or I treat myself to one pop a day. I recommend limiting yourself as much as you can, but don't over do it. You want to be as healthy as possible, but be comfortable at the same time.
  • This is going to sound crazy but my husband did a placebo on me. Lol. He put decaf coffee in my coffee container. And every morning he made my cup of coffee. I mean I was still getting headaches, but I justified it as a pregnancy thing. By the time the headaches went away he told me what he did. I flipped! Because I was an avid caffeine drinker.
  • My Dr has said as long as I stay under 200mg a day, then she isn't concerned. I have maybe a can of soda a day. My weakness is black tea though. For a few weeks between first trimester and second I did not crave caffeine at all. Then the headaches slowly returned and now I love it (along with anything sugary and sweet).