August 2015 Moms

Baby shower #3

Have any of you mothers of more than 1 had a baby shower for the others? I am at #3 and we have only had the typical first one. By the time #3 is was on her way we had sold most of the big stuff, but we have taken care of it, now it's the little things, MOSTLY diapers BUT the most important thing I want to do is invite friends and also have them donate to a Down Syndrome association. Any suggestions or do you think it's rude to create your own party!??

Re: Baby shower #3

• I don't think it's rude to throw your own party, but it is rude to expect gifts. If you want to celebrate baby #3 with your friends and family, by all means do, but I wouldn't register or call it a shower. If you want to hold a down syndrome fundraiser that's a completely different party. You could incorporate celebrating your baby into some of the "games" used to raise money. Like a due date / baby weight / etc. raffle. Be care of laws though, at least in my state raffles require a license to be legal
  • Have any of you mothers of more than 1 had a baby shower for the others? I am at #3 and we have only had the typical first one. By the time #3 is was on her way we had sold most of the big stuff, but we have taken care of it, now it's the little things, MOSTLY diapers BUT the most important thing I want to do is invite friends and also have them donate to a Down Syndrome association. Any suggestions or do you think it's rude to create your own party!??
    If you want to honor the baby I would host a sip n see after the baby is born. I would find it a bit rude and presumptuous to be invited to a party thrown by the parents where they want me to donate to a charity organization. I personally also find diaper raffles or requesting specific gifts (or gifts in general) to be rude.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have friends who are throwing me a shower for #3. I didn't ask, and this is our first girl. We have most of the big stuff, but need clothes and diapers and a few small things. But I never would throw a party/shower for myself. I think doing a fund raiser if you want is ok,but not as a party for your baby.
  • I am of the mind that if you have to ask then chances are it would be viewed as rude, at least within your circle.  In my circle showers are for FTMs, a shower for second or third child would be frowned upon, I have never been invited to one.  Certainly hosting your own shower would be considered tacky and rightfully so IMO.  Unlike most other parties the purpose of a shower is to 'shower the mother with gifts', so unless you are comfortable wandering asking people to buy you things or your child things then it just shouldn't be done.  Furthermore to specifically ask for certain things, a diaper shower or to donate to a charity is in poor taste. 

I would suggest a few things.  1) host a sip-in-see after the baby is born 2) have sort of a last hurrah before baby comes, a girls' day out or a BBQ at your house, make no mention of shower or gifts, just an excuse to get together with friends 3) have no party and use the money to put toward diapers or donate to charity of your choice.