Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Can an OPK be wrong? How reliable are they?

This morning, cycle day 10, I got a negative opk.

My obgyn told me that days 10 to 15 after my period are ideal to be intimate. He told us to be intimate today, Saturday or Sunday, and again on Tuesday. 

Can an opk be wrong or I am thinking that maybe I used it on an incorrect day? I am new to opk’s. I was temping but I stopped although not correctly either as I was using an ear thermometer. Have to buy a bbt.

Thank you for any replies. 

Re: Can an OPK be wrong? How reliable are they?

• Options
    bsckgb7bsckgb7 member

The only cay to confirm ovulation is by temping.  Are you temping?  I ovulate around CD20-24 so if I assumed CD10-15 was me fertile period, I would completely miss it. 

But to answer your question, it's very easy to miss your LH surge using OPKs (lots of ladies on here never get +OPKs).  That's why temping and CM are also very important. 

• Options
    You are only going to get a +OPK when your LH (luteinizing hormone) is surging.  This can happen anywhere from 12-48 hours from your first positive reading (depending on when you picked up your surge - the beginning or end).  It's not surprising that you didn't get a +OPK on CD10.  

About one week before my general O time, I will use an OPK around the middle of the day up until I get a +OPK.  

They're not going to be wrong, and they are very reliable if you are using them correctly (don't use them with FMU, as an example).  Best of luck!

Pregnancy Ticker

Me: 26 | DH: 27

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    bsckgb7bsckgb7 member
    lilcip said:

My obgyn told me that days 10 to 15 after my period are ideal to be intimate. He told us to be intimate today, Saturday or Sunday, and again on Tuesday. 

Can an opk be wrong or I am thinking that maybe I used it on an incorrect day? I am new to opk’s. I was temping but I stopped although not correctly either as I was using an ear thermometer. Have to buy a bbt.

QFP
  • Options
    lilcip said:

OP, how long are your cycles typically? Without temping/charting it's hard to determine when you are ovulating.

OPKs are accurate in that they measure the amount of LH in your urine. Once you receive a peak reading, you might ovulate 24-48 hours later. However, you can have several LH surges in your cycle. Only temping will confirm that ovulation has occurred.

I suggest you take some more time to lurk around this board because this kind of information is everywhere around here. 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • Options
    lilciplilcip member
    Thanks.

I will.

I will do a search also. 
  • Options
    Of course they can be wrong! You should really read some posts on this board. :)

Do the tutorials on fertility friend and read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weshler.

There is no way for your OB to predict your future fertile days.  Bodies do not work like that.

My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    Time to look for a new OB if he's predicting when you will be fertile.
  • Options
    My temps indicated I ovulated last month but I never got a + OPK, so I def. think they can be wrong. That's why I really like doing both to have some backup information. OPKs also seem touchy due to time of the day, dilution of pee, etc.

However, I agree with other posters. The calendar method is not reliable. You should go ahead and buy a BBT since you already expressed interest and start using it. Good luck!
  • Options
    Last month I started using the OPKs on CD10 and didn't get a positive until CD17.  Mine turned positive with FMU, but I've read that others only got a positive in the late afternoon.  As some people have shorter surges that only last a few hours.

How long is you cycle typically?  I have 2 different brands and they both had a little chart on what days to test.  I bought the cheap (Wondfo) for 3x a day testing and the Clear Blue digital for FMU testing.  Both turned positive on the same day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Time to look for a new OB if he's predicting when you will be fertile.

Or test his advice, and if he's correct, spread the word about his fertility psychic abilities!
  • Options
    Past 2 cycles I have gotten 2 positive opk 5 days apart(ie not helpful)... First cycle got bfp which ended in mc just in tee now for this cycle. Opks... Are great if they work for you. But they don't for everyone and you won't know if that's you till after the fact.
  • Options
    g8trkimg8trkim member
    I used them for two months and both times it said I never ovulated. I got pregnant so obviously it was wrong. I've heard they can be inaccurate depending on time of day and other factors. I don't plan to use them again. It was just one more source of stress for me.