August 2015 Moms
Options

Should I swap doctors?

Hey ladies. So I am not sure if I should swap doctors. Since about Feb I have been asking about preeclampsia because my weight has been out of control. As the weeks progressed I started having other symptoms and just recently my blood pressure spiked. Just yesterday they mentioned how my weight has jumped significantly over the past two weeks and that since I have a history of retaining water that they are concerned that I have preeclampsia so they took blood and I am doing the 24 urine test next week.

I am pretty upset because my gut has been telling me that something was wrong this entire time and I kept asking and kept calling and they kept brushing it off. I am 30 weeks 5 days today. Would you stick with the dr or would you go to a new practice? I don't really want to change because I do like the doctors, they are nice and friendly and I really like that they are so close. I am only about 20 mins from them and the hospital. My friends and family are pushing for me to go to a new doc in the city, which is about 30-45 mins from me. I am hesitant because: I don't want to travel so far,  I don't want to have to miss so much work for the apts and I don't want to start over again with a new doc. Side note, I live in the burbs of Atlanta, so traveling to and from the city is a nightmare because of travel. If any of you mommies like in Atlanta and think I should swap, who do you recommend?

What would you ladies do?

Re: Should I swap doctors?

• Options
    If you are about to be diagnosed with pre-e and your monitoring would increase a lot and traveling is an issue, I'd say no. That being said, not trusting your provider with your care is not good. Could you articulate to them that you are dissapointed in their care thus far? I know it might be uncomfortable to say everything you're thinking, but maybe there are explanations and the communication has been lacking. Some providers are clueless to how patients feel unless you're really upfront with them. If their explanations don't put you at ease, then maybe that's the sign you do need to move providers.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Personally, I'd stay. Your doc sounds pretty on top of it. Pre-e can't be diagnosed with one symptom alone, they really don't consider it until the other symptoms show up as well because a lot of the time the other symptoms never show. Protein in your urine, weight gain, or high BP alone don't really mean a whole lot unless they begin to occur together. Now that that has changed, they seem to be responding accordingly. If you do have it, they'll obviously keep a close eye on you and baby. However, if you feel like you can't trust your doctor, that's a different issue and you should switch. It will cause you worry and stress that also isn't good for baby. Good luck mama!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would just stay. I went into labor during atl rush hour and it took us so long to get to the hospital that I was sure he'd be born in the car (luckily he wasn't). If you're 20min away I'd say that's a lot better than the 45 turning into 1.5+.

That said, you can always call another provider and ask their opinion. It sounds to me like they were trying to cover all their bases first. Would have done anything different had they diagnosed you sooner? Are you and the baby okay? To me, that's what matters.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It doesn't matter what symptoms you have pre ecclampsia is diagnosed with blood pressure and proteinurea. It also only comes after 20 weeks so feb is far too early for it to have been pre ecclampsia. Seems like they are on top of things, but if you have a bad feelings by switch
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thj417Thj417 member
    edited May 2015
    Fellow Atlanta suburb momma here... I totally hear you about that drive. I'd look for another OB near the hospital you're already at. I was originally referred to an OB 45 minutes away from me near Northside, and I had to pay for parking while there. I never went back. Lol!! It really depends on where you live honestly.... I chose to go to Cartersville OBGYN; I live in Acworth and it's the same distance to Kennestone. I wanted a smaller hospital that was more family oriented. (And one of my friends works at Kennestone in L&D, weird!) if there is the rare chance you also live in Acworth, it's worth looking at. Otherwise, stick to what YOU want, hospital close by, not having to deal with traffic, etc. Surely there are other practices that service the same hospital you're already at. Good luck...

Edit - since you're so late in pregnancy maybe just look for a second opinion and keep your doc you already like.