June 2015 Moms

NPR: In a dinner rut

I'm making my grocery list and I have found myself in a rut. I make the same stuff every week. What are your go-to easy recipes?

Re: NPR: In a dinner rut

• This is the DH and me's favorite recipe recently:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017161-oven-roasted-chicken-shawarma

It's super easy to make & we serve it with hummus and a lentil salad or a tomato and cucumber salad.
  • I'm always game for spaghetti with meat sauce and an obscene amount of parmasean cheese (although with my GD, I've had to reign in the pasta a bit, annnnnd only do whole wheat pasta- which I don't mind). 

Other go-tos
    - Tacos/fajitas
    - Fish and Chips (fries)
    - Homemade Pizza on Tortilla wraps (or homemade dough if I'm feeling up to it). 
    - Soup and Grilled Cheese
    - Chicken fingers and spinach salad
    - Chicken and veggie stirfry (with either Teriyaki, Butter Chicken, Korma, Spicy Peanut sauce) and rice and/naan if appropriate.

Can you tell I live with a 2year old? Haha
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • mccall35 said:

I'm always game for spaghetti with meat sauce and an obscene amount of parmasean cheese (although with my GD, I've had to reign in the pasta a bit, annnnnd only do whole wheat pasta- which I don't mind). 

Other go-tos
    - Tacos/fajitas
    - Fish and Chips (fries)
    - Homemade Pizza on Tortilla wraps (or homemade dough if I'm feeling up to it). 
    - Soup and Grilled Cheese
    - Chicken fingers and spinach salad
    - Chicken and veggie stirfry (with either Teriyaki, Butter Chicken, Korma, Spicy Peanut sauce) and rice and/naan if appropriate.

Can you tell I live with a 2year old? Haha
    DH eats like a 2-year-old. So he would like a lot of this stuff. Lol.
  • ElRubyElRuby member
    Take out :)
  • Lol i was going to suggest a pasta too! I toast pine nuts and garlic in a pan with olive oil and then take the pan off the heat throw some butter and arugula in it and then douse the noodles with patm, its amazing
  • I make a lot of pizza casseroles (pick any one on pinterest). Also recently found recipes for baked hot wings, baked breaded mozzarella sticks, stromboli, spicy spaghetti, and made up my own for grilled chicken breasts. My recipe is basically coating the chicken with onion powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, seasoned salt, and black pepper, grilling it, and then topping with a choice of hot sauce and warming for a few seconds in the microwave before serving to let the sauce soak in.
  • at my place we are always trying to eat cheaper, so things like homemade hamburger helper, pasta with various sauces/veggies, rice and beans, pork chops, potatoes served different ways.
    one thing you could always look into is different cooking sites, i like to check out budget bytes when i dont know what to cook.
  • The best thing I've made lately was a slow roasted lamb shoulder. It was pretty easy too - make a marinade by whizzing mint, coriander, ginger, garlic, honey and vinegar in the blender, then once marinated just stick it in a low oven and leave it for 4-5 hours. Then shred it with two forks and serve it with pita bread, heated marinade, yoghurt and a chickpea and feta salad. It was really good, and we had yummy leftovers for days.
  • All recipes I find on Pinterest
    Skillet lasagna
    Chicken parm (I use Panko crumbs instead of bread crumbs)with spaghetti
    Burgers with sweet potato fries
    Steak with loaded baked potato
    Roasted chicken Or a pot roast and some Bob Evans frozen mash potatoes (they are so good)
    I've even used a rotisserie chicken to make enchiladas with. It's so easy!
    Loaded nachos

I haven't been eating light at all!