Cloth Diapering

Flushable Liners

We have recently started some solids and I'm noticing that my son's poops are a little more gloopy now. I've been wiping off the gloop just with toilet paper but as he starts to eat more and more I know his BMs are going to get more solidified as we go. I'm thinking liners would be a good option for us until his BMs become plopable but we are on a septic system. Are there any liners out there that are truly septic safe or do I need to think about going the sprayer route (dunk and swish might not work since we have low flow toilets and not much water to work with to dunk in)

Re: Flushable Liners

• I use gDiapers and the liners are completely septic safe. I am not familiar with other brands so someone else may have other suggestions.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • I do dunk and swish in our low flow toilet without too much trouble. I also have a commercial size pot scraper (roughly the size of a 4x6 index card) that I use to encourage poop off with. I just keep it in an empty coffee container on the back of the toilet. Ds2 is 2 and he still doesn't have plopable poops very frequently.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a really old house (118yrs) and even on municipal sewage I don't trust the system enough to flush them. I've washed a few by accident and they come out in really good shape, so they hold together for a while. I used them for daycare and when out (and threw in garbage) at home I used a sprayer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I used a sprayer and it always worked for us.  It was a lot more powerful than I expected.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• This may not work, but what about paper towels?
    ? PgAL/PAL Welcome ? My Chart ?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • As a PP said, gDiapers flushable liners are septic safe, but also costly. The liners could end up costing you more $$ than disposables would. If that's not a problem for you then you're good to go! I think the sprayer is the best idea though.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've read (on Angie's List) that plumbers do not recommend flushing "flushable" wipes.  While I would certainly love the convenience, our house was built in 1958 and I think it has the original clay sewer line.  I'm still pregnant with our first so I can't speak from actual experience, but flushing the wipes makes me nervous.  Don't think I'd wanna risk it.
  • We had a news/community story on them and they basically said, even though they're rated as 'safe to flush', they're really not.  And this was even for big city sewer systems, nevermind home septic beds.  I won't be using them.
  • GuennieGuennie member

I've read (on Angie's List) that plumbers do not recommend flushing "flushable" wipes.  While I would certainly love the convenience, our house was built in 1958 and I think it has the original clay sewer line.  I'm still pregnant with our first so I can't speak from actual experience, but flushing the wipes makes me nervous.  Don't think I'd wanna risk it.

She wasn't asking about wipes, she was asking about liners, which are completely different. Not the same thing. :)

Op, if you want to try them but don't want to spend a lot, as you start to be able to predict when your lo will poop you can just use a liner that time of day and skip it the rest of the time. That's what we do so I really don't end up spending much because they last a long time.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • This is almost a zombie thread, but I'll add my two cents anyways. I use reusable liners (bummies and our family cloth). My LO is still breastfeeding, so easier to deal with poop, but a dunk and swish or sprayer would work for toddler poos. As well they protect the dipes if I have to use a cream with zinc and keep them clean.