Multiples
Options

33 weeks and having trouble working, Any advice

SweetRucaSweetRuca member
edited March 2015 in Multiples

Hello,

I am a day shy of 33 weeks with Mono Di twins. This is my first pregnancy and I am a very petite so the pregnancy is starting to take its toll on me.  I have had a very normal pregnancy so far other than aches and pains that are to be expected. 

In the last week or so I have found it increasingly difficulty to make it through my work day. I am a medical office supervisior so it is a desk job but that does include alot of up and down and walking. I sleep 2-3 straight hours a night if I am lucky. It hurts for my to walk due to swelling and one of the babies being so low causing alot of pelvic pressure. I have also been having more and more cramping and irregular contractions.  I mentioned this to the nurse practitioner that I saw yesterday (I rarely get to see a doctor for my appointments) and she just brushed off my concerns and symptoms.  I was wondering if anyone else had issues like this and what you did to deal with the aches and pains and doctors that don't seem to care. 

Thank you in advance for sharing your story!

Re: 33 weeks and having trouble working, Any advice

• Options
  • Options
    I'm a couple days behind you and from what I've read and heard from other moms of multiples, the discomfort is par for the course. Of course if you experience rapid/sudden onset of swelling then you should always call the doctor.

For me, the hip pain (and now tingling/numbness) that comes from sleeping on my side is unbearable. I basically sleep sitting up in bed with a lot of pillows propping me up.

I take a warm bath with Epsom salt just about every other night to help ease the aches (bed bath beyond sells large bags scented with lavender or eucalyptus for about $6).

We are in the last weeks of this journey, so do whatever you can to rest your body. Prop your legs up on something in the office or ask if you can do some of your work at home?

I'm sorry your doc office isn't super attentive, they probably are so used to hearing these complaints that they forget that you are their patient who is looking for support.

Hope this helps
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @SweetRuca we must be twins! One day shy of 33w, petite, good pregnancy until now.
    I just spoke with my dr about this day. The sleeping issue she said if it was really troublesome, to take hydroxyzine, something she prescribed me last week for my PUPPPs and lack of sleep. She also told me Benadryl was an option to make me drowsy.
    I also have horrible pelvic pressure, cramping and painful at times contractions. She said unfortunately all normal, but we'd revisit these at my next appointment in a few days.
    Like pp, a nice warm bath does wonders-I took my first last week!
    Sorry not much help-but you're not alone! Good luck!
  • Options
    Not unusual to have aches and pains with any pregnancy (especially at the end) but even earlier with twins. At 33 weeks with twins, you're probably feeling like a full term mom with a singleton. My OB signs all twin patients out of work at 34 weeks (she delivers at 38 weeks) assuming no issues require being signed out earlier. I chose to work longer than 34 weeks - and worked until 35 weeks 3 days. That  was my choice though. I delivered at 38 weeks exactly, but was having contractions beginning at 19 weeks and was in L&D on three occasions before delivering due to contractions - luckily during all that time I never progressed until the very end and was 4+cm at my scheduled c/s.

However, I'd definitely follow up with your doctor or MFM - I'm surprised with mo/di twins you're not being monitored more closesly.

But - the aches, pains, sleepless nights, pressure, hip pain, etc.....all normal. but if it's hard to work you might want to consider starting your leave early.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for all your input. I am still working but I am putting in for my leave on Thursday.
  • Options
    LAO12LAO12 member
    Are you wearing a support belt? I wear the cradle and feel so much better! Working 4 days 10-12 hr shifts in the hospital. 33w3d. Get a belt if u don't have one already. Oh j am 5`1, petite and have gained 40lbs of all baby and belly!
    *** Siggy warning ***

DH: 31 normal
    Me: 31 tubal disease
    Married 2011
    TTC 2012
    Clomid x 2 with OBGYN: BFN
    IF testing 2013: blocked left tube, low AMH
    March 2014: Ectopic rupture, emergency surgery and D&C.  Absent left tube and now closed right tube
    October 2014: IVF with ICSI #1 - BFP (17r/14icsi/12f - 2ET 10/27; 7 frosties; Nov7 beta #1= 806; Nov10 beta #2= 2738; TWINS!!!!!  EDD late June/early July 2015)