July 2015 Moms

Starting job a month before due date

Ok. So, I've been wanting to work for this company for about 3 yrs and finally got an offer and start in 2 weeks( a month before due date). This will be a huge blessing for my family that has struggled to the point of losing just about everything. And as of 2 days ago we were told we have 30 days to move because the landlord wants to move in. Ahh stressful I know!!! Anyways, here is where I need advise- I have lost 2 jobs as soon as I announced my pregnancy with each baby because we are in an at will state. Should I immediately say something and not try to hide my bump, should I wait for a little bit to show I deserve to be there and then say something? I'm terrified that either way being out for 6 weeks a month after being hired will make me lose what we so badly need to survive. I am extremely honest but obviously doing so in the past hurt my family.
What do you think?

Re: Starting job a month before due date

• I'm not sure how they didn't notice your bump when you interviewed, or how you can hide a bump this far along... And how long would you be proving yourself before you told them? Most jobs have a 90 day "probation" period anyway, and you'll give birth well before that. Plus it's been my experience that you need to give a fair amount of notice before taking time (especially an extended amount) off. I can't help but think that maybe your best bet is to have a chat with HR on your first day (or sooner...) and see if maybe you could just start after you have the baby. I don't think they'll love training you and then you leave for 4-6 weeks and they risk having to retrain you.

It sucks, but unfortunately a month before birth isn't really a great time to be starting a new job.
  • Did you visibly show your pregnancy at the interview?
  • Loading the player...
  • When they offered the job to you I would have mentioned the pregnancy...I am aware that you have lost jobs in the past due to pregnancy, but maybe if you mentioned it first thing and since you have been trying for 3 years, maybe they would have made a deal with you to accommodate the situation. (I don't know if you told them, I'm assuming you didn't, and I also don't know what kind of job it is that you were hired for) in my past experiences, just being up front first and showing that I am willing to work hard and do my job above and beyond, they cut me some slack...Good luck!
  • HandreeHandree member
    I say go in there, kick ass and show them that you are deserving of the job, and then break the news. At least you will have tried to show them that you are worth waiting for. 
  • mrsb30mrsb30 member

I'm not sure how they didn't notice your bump when you interviewed, or how you can hide a bump this far along... And how long would you be proving yourself before you told them? Most jobs have a 90 day "probation" period anyway, and you'll give birth well before that. Plus it's been my experience that you need to give a fair amount of notice before taking time (especially an extended amount) off. I can't help but think that maybe your best bet is to have a chat with HR on your first day (or sooner...) and see if maybe you could just start after you have the baby. I don't think they'll love training you and then you leave for 4-6 weeks and they risk having to retrain you.

It sucks, but unfortunately a month before birth isn't really a great time to be starting a new job.

I agree with everything you said, but not having a visible bump is quite possible. I'm almost 31 weeks pregnant and nobody can tell I'm pregnant. I realize it's not the Norm but it's possible.
  • mrsb30 said:

I'm not sure how they didn't notice your bump when you interviewed, or how you can hide a bump this far along... And how long would you be proving yourself before you told them? Most jobs have a 90 day "probation" period anyway, and you'll give birth well before that. Plus it's been my experience that you need to give a fair amount of notice before taking time (especially an extended amount) off. I can't help but think that maybe your best bet is to have a chat with HR on your first day (or sooner...) and see if maybe you could just start after you have the baby. I don't think they'll love training you and then you leave for 4-6 weeks and they risk having to retrain you.

I agree with everything you said, but not having a visible bump is quite possible. I'm almost 31 weeks pregnant and nobody can tell I'm pregnant. I realize it's not the Norm but it's possible.
    Agreed if you didn't know and didn't know me you probably wouldn't know. Not everyone gets a huge bump.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• AR25AR25 member
    Thanks ladies! I actually am bigger so some of my work clothes work with not showing off the bump. The job offer has been through their recruiter in another state. I have to pass all background checks and things and then start. I will be working under a higher up in a huge company. Not a lot of training needed because I've been in the industry for 5+ yrs.
  • You are under absolutely no moral or legal requirements to disclose your pregnancy!!!  

It would be ideal if you were in a situation where you could comfortably talk with HR, the recruiter, or your supervisor about your pregnancy beforehand.  But you are not:  you are cash-strapped.  I TOTALLY understand.  If you need the money and the job, then go in there and kick some butt, Mama!  
    What a challenge to move + start a new job at this stage of pregnancy.  But you can do it, and you will!  Get as much help as possible with the move; take it easy on yourself.  The first month of work will be easier because they will give you time to train, to learn your coworkers' names, to navigate your new surroundings.  
    I wouldn't tell them a thing until the day you go into labor.  Call in sick.  Tell them that you are in the hospital and that you are OK and take the next work week off.  Then contact HR and tell them you are pregnant.  Of course, research all company policies beforehand and be prepared to defend yourself from any backlash.

If you think they can or will fire you for not disclosing your pregnancy (I don't know anything about "at will employment") then consider the cost of your upcoming move.  Will you make enough money in the one month of working to compensate for the cost of the move (whose cost will be financial, physical, and emotional)?  This would be my only reason to disclose the pregnancy beforehand -- if you think that you may be fired after you begin work, that you would lose more by accepting this job than you would gain from it.

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW JOB!  
  • Also, depending on the position you just got hired to do, they may really be able to work without that position for 6 weeks with no problem. Unless you took over for someone still there to train you, I'm sure they have been without someone in that position for at least a little bit. So I would go to work, tell your manager about your pregnancy as soon as your feel comfortable. I do feel that as a manager I would be MORE upset if you didn't tell us at all, as opposed to, being honest from the get go. They hired you, and right to work state or not you can still sue them if they fire you. 

I *believe" not sure though, that they just don't need to disclose why they fired you under the right to work law. Doesn't mean it's not illegal for them to fire you based on your pregnancy status.  
  • Most jobs have a 90 day probation period where you can be fired or "let go" for pretty much anything.  Also, you will have only been there for about a month before you are expecting to take extended leave.  Do you know if you would even qualify for leave?  Most places don't have benefits like that start immediately.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • AR25AR25 member
    Thank you for these last 3 comments! So uplifting and helps me consider all aspects of it. I realize that with everything going on that sleeping on it (as many nights as need) and hoping our choices get us back on our feet and then some. I hope to be upfront as possible and protect my family with balance. Thanks so much for being here for me Mommies!!'
  • mrsb30mrsb30 member

You are under absolutely no moral or legal requirements to disclose your pregnancy!!!  

It would be ideal if you were in a situation where you could comfortably talk with HR, the recruiter, or your supervisor about your pregnancy beforehand.  But you are not:  you are cash-strapped.  I TOTALLY understand.  If you need the money and the job, then go in there and kick some butt, Mama!  
    What a challenge to move + start a new job at this stage of pregnancy.  But you can do it, and you will!  Get as much help as possible with the move; take it easy on yourself.  The first month of work will be easier because they will give you time to train, to learn your coworkers' names, to navigate your new surroundings.  
    I wouldn't tell them a thing until the day you go into labor.  Call in sick.  Tell them that you are in the hospital and that you are OK and take the next work week off.  Then contact HR and tell them you are pregnant.  Of course, research all company policies beforehand and be prepared to defend yourself from any backlash.

If you think they can or will fire you for not disclosing your pregnancy (I don't know anything about "at will employment") then consider the cost of your upcoming move.  Will you make enough money in the one month of working to compensate for the cost of the move (whose cost will be financial, physical, and emotional)?  This would be my only reason to disclose the pregnancy beforehand -- if you think that you may be fired after you begin work, that you would lose more by accepting this job than you would gain from it.

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW JOB!  
    I personally would not advise not saying anything until you go into labor.
  • mrsb30 said:

Same with me. People who don't know me would never guess I'm pregnant and I'm 34 weeks. I guess being plus sized kinda helped that lol But to the OP, good look with the job. I commend you for even being able to work at this late stage or for being so WILLING to work! I'm a teacher on summer break and it couldn't have come at a better time! I am TIRED all the time! Lol anyway, I hope all works out for you.