July 2015 Moms
Options

Frustrated (Leave rant)

So this entire pregnancy I have been very focused on making sure that I do everything right, both in terms of my baby but also in terms of my job.  This vent is focused on my job.  I made sure that we didn't start trying to get pregnant until I knew that I would be FMLA eligible and then I was focused on making sure that I would still be getting paid while off.  Because of that, I haven't taken a single day of vacation, I worked hard last year to ensure that I could roll over the full week that is allowed, I researched and asked HR (which is the group that I work for) about what my best path was.  I am eligible for 30 calendar days of extended sick leave, then I have to use all of my vacation 5 weeks, and then I was told that the company has a trust that is used to supplement any time that wouldn't be covered. 

So I talked to my co-worker who is on the Trust Board that decides this and she told me a number of times that I was approved and that there was no problem.  I just found out that I was not approved and that everything isn't fine.  She flat out lied to me.  If I had known, my husband and I would have planned very differently and started saving - specifically for the period of time that I wouldn't be paid.  Since I was told that we were good to go, we didn't.   I feel as if the trust is based on antiquated ideas and purposefully excluded pregnancy because this is an old boys club type of environment.  Now, I am going to have to go unpaid for a few weeks and then if the baby gets sick or I get sick, I will have to take more unpaid leave in addition to the 12 weeks of FMLA.  

I know that I am lucky that I get anything at all, but I just feel lied to and frustrated.  We have to improve on the maternity leave situation in this country.  Why should women have to be penalized for having a child?

Okay, done with rant.... sorry :)

Re: Frustrated (Leave rant)

• Options
    That is ridiculous!!!! You may have some sort of legal case but you probably know better than anyone since you are already working in HR.

This countries mat leave policy is assenine but everytime I see petitions going to the government about this there are never enough signatures. I think women after they give birth forget about how difficult it can be during those first few months after baby is born.
    Something has to be done but we have to be the ones to do it. The last petition I signed needed 100,000 signatures and after two weeks only 7,000 people had signed it.
  • Options
    ckrandackranda member
    I know how you feel. I signed up for short term disability and soon after found out I was pregnant. Well because you need to have it for at least 10 months before being able to use it, I wouldn't get anything. And my work only provides the 12 weeks FMLA. So I get to go 12 weeks with absolutely no pay. We've been saving like crazy and DH has a great job but I still feel so stressed its not going to be enough.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a teacher, and since I am due in the summer, I get nothing. I can take FMLA leave at the beginning of the year (which I will have to, since bubs won't be old enough for the day care that we want by the time school starts), but that's it. If I had the baby during the school year, I would get six weeks of paid leave (using my sick time, which I saved up so I could use it for pregnancy). We're in the same boat, trying to make sure that we save up enough money to cover the time I take at the beginning of the year (I only plan on using 4 weeks since it's unpaid). Maternity leave policies in the states are DUMB.

Ideally I would have had a winter baby, but it took us over 2 years to get pregnant, so I can't be overly choosy about it. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    My disability insurance could cover me for 6 weeks but apparently it doesn't kick in until after 60 days of being out. I can't afford that and hate that no one explained that when I signed up for it two years ago. I'm also a teacher and will have to take some time off more than likely. We're trying to save but DH just got diagnosed with a medical condition that took him out of work for two weeks and could again if he needs surgery.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    That's crazy, heads up ladies :) we are strong women and you will all get through this :D
  • Options
    My recruiter stretched the truth about the company's short-term disability policy when I was interviewing. I came over from a company that offered 12 weeks at 100% pay to a company that offers 6 weeks at 60% pay (after a 15-day waiting period). My situation is way better than what most women have to work with, but I was pissed when I found out that the "11 weeks" that STD pays out is a maximum only applied to certain accidents/illnesses and that even C-section births are limited to 6 weeks. I would have negotiated a whole lot harder if I had known. 

Side note: pretty sure my coworker got 11 weeks STD after he had a nervous breakdown. 'Cause, you know, penis.

image BabyFruit Ticker

Married 10-15-2011
    BFP 10-30-2014
    Baby's due 7-08-2015

• Options
    kate5all said:

My recruiter stretched the truth about the company's short-term disability policy when I was interviewing. I came over from a company that offered 12 weeks at 100% pay to a company that offers 6 weeks at 60% pay (after a 15-day waiting period). My situation is way better than what most women have to work with, but I was pissed when I found out that the "11 weeks" that STD pays out is a maximum only applied to certain accidents/illnesses and that even C-section births are limited to 6 weeks. I would have negotiated a whole lot harder if I had known. 

Side note: pretty sure my coworker got 11 weeks STD after he had a nervous breakdown. 'Cause, you know, penis.
    That's BS!!!! I would be infuriated!!!
  • Options
    Did you have any of the approvals in writing? If so you could still be entitled to it...I'd see a lawyer if you have to! We don't get any paid leave at our work Unless you save your time. We accrue annual time and sick time..but it's not much. I get about 3 weeks sick a year and 4 weeks annual plus 4 personal days...you can carry over everything but the personal days. Luckily I also have short term disability which will pay me about 70% for one month. I also saved a bunch but still only have enough for 12 weeks.
  • Options
    I get nothing! Zilch! Nada! On full bedrest as of this week at 31 weeks! Just spent 3 days in the hospital. At my job there is no maternity leave, I couldn't get short term disability because of diabetes and my state offers nothing for maternity. So I will be completely unpaid until I can get back after the babies are here. Sigh......
  • Options
    twindlej said:

I get nothing! Zilch! Nada! On full bedrest as of this week at 31 weeks! Just spent 3 days in the hospital. At my job there is no maternity leave, I couldn't get short term disability because of diabetes and my state offers nothing for maternity. So I will be completely unpaid until I can get back after the babies are here. Sigh......

I'm so sorry to hear this. Are you in the states? The American system is messed up!
  • Options
    twindlej said:
    Short-term disability insurance is such a pathetic apology to mothers. This is for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIhKAQX5izw

image BabyFruit Ticker

Married 10-15-2011
    BFP 10-30-2014
    Baby's due 7-08-2015