Potty Training
Options

Did I Make a Mistake?

I starting potty training my triplet girls at a young, but very slower. At 18 months, we just started with getting used to the potty. At about 19 months, we would have them try every time before bath (3 times per week). If they would go pee-pee, we would celebrate. A few weeks after that, we would have them try every night before bed. We would talk about how they were going pee-pee. At about 21 months, we started adding in more scheduled potty break once they wake up and before nap or bed. And we would take them to the bathroom every time they would say pee-pee. They would go every once in a while. 
Well about 3 weeks ago, things really started to change. They would go to the bathroom and actually go pee-pee. It was several times a day. They still had some wet diapers but down to maybe 2-3 a day. The diaper wasn't as wet in the morning and the diaper from nap would barely be wet or dry. 1 kid even had gone poop a few times. So this weekend, I thought maybe we should try training pants. Well... it was a very frustrating weekend and 2 days of potty training. The first day, only 1 time was the potty used. They weren't even asking to use the potty and when I would suggest we try, they would say No. Day 2 went a little better as they would actually ask to use the potty, but there were way more accidents than the potty being used. My husband doesn't think they are ready at all. I was the one that wanted this. 
So after 2 days of training pants, we decided to go back to diapers and pull-ups. Was this a mistake to switch back? Was I pushing them before they were ready or do they seem ready? Ugh!!!! Hard to be a first time potty trainer. I have no idea what to do at this point. Any help you can provide me on where to go from here. Thanks!!!

Re: Did I Make a Mistake?

• Options
    It sounds like you had done excellent up until the training pants, and the one thing you probably don't want to do now is turn this into a negative thing. So now that you've gone back to diapers, maybe just chill out for awhile, go back to celebrating when they go, and then when you and your husband are both on the same page thinking your girls are ready (dry diapers in the morning when they wake up are a good sign), just commit to it and switch over to underwear. I think most parents doing that weekend-style training say that it takes 3-4 days for the accidents to cease, so be sure to stick it out at least that long. FWIW, we had a very similar style of potty-training with my son, EXCEPT for the fact that we first introduced the potty just before he turned 2 (when he started showing an interest in the toilet), and then we didn't actually pull the trigger on switching over to underwear until just past 2 1/2, when he started waking up dry occasionally. By that point, training was pretty easy.
  • Options
    I highly recommend buying and reading the ebooke from 3daypottytraining.com it come with unlimited support from a potty training guru (she's help train thousands of kids) but she very much says don't go back it can only confuse the kids. We potty trained DS the week before his 2nd birthday and he has been day and night trained since then. We still have occasional accidents but they are more a form of rebellion at this point (gotta love the terrible twos) and they are very rare and never when we aren't home (which is why I'm thinking rebellion).

We have put him in pull-ups twice because he had diarreah and called them his sick tummy undies.