November 2015 Moms
Options

Anatomy scan at 17 wks?

I am 14+5 weeks. I went to the doctor today and she scheduled my anatomy scan for June 15th, I'll be 17+2 weeks. I'm excited to find out the sex of our baby but I'm worried that it is too early to check everything else. I know that they are usually scheduled between 18-20 weeks. When I was pregnant with my son I didn't have the scan until 20 weeks. Anyone else have an early scan? Either this pregnancy or with a previous pregnancy? Were they able to see everything and get all the measurements needed?

On a side note we got to hear the heartbeat for the first time today, I cried :-)

Re: Anatomy scan at 17 wks?

• Options
    My doctor scheduled mine for 16, I asked her about waiting until 20 and she said no need we can tell at 16.... Here's hoping ;)
  • Options
    I'm having mine at 17 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We wanted ours scheduled at 19 weeks since my inlaws would be in town and wanted to tell them the sex in person and doctor said no we need to do it as close to 20 weeks as possible.
  • Options
    With my daughter I went at like 16 weeks and they couldn't get everything they needed so I went back 2 weeks later and they got the rest of the measurements. We didn't find out the sex so I don't know if they were able to clearly tell or not at either.

I'm going tomorrow and will have the tech write out what the sex is and put it in an envelope for my husband and I to open together when he's home from work. I'll be 18
    Weeks 4 days tomorrow so hopefully they can see everything they need to see and baby cooperates!
    YCSWU
  • Options
    Mine was right at 16w and tech and doctor said it was fine. As long as they can get clear shots you are good. Sometimes, you may have to go back and get certain things redone if baby is in awkward position or can't get a clear shot. Mine were all clear and doctor said everything is looking perfect! Also, it depends on the tech and their experience.
    Married: 6.28.14
    TTC #1: 2.1.15
    BFP: 2.23.15 EDD: 11.6.15  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mrspruemrsprue member
    I got a 3D scan at 16 weeks and they were able to show me.
  • Options
    The secretary scheduled mine for when I would have been 17+3. I asked my doctor about it the other day and she told me to reschedule it for 20 weeks. She said 18 is the earliest they will do them at their office because they want to wait until the vital organs are developed enough to get good views of them. They can tell sex pretty easily around 16-17 weeks but I'm more concerned with heart, lungs, brain, etc. so I chose to move it back a little.
  • Options
    Mine is scheduled for 19 weeks same reasons as previous poster we are team green so no need to worry about the gender just anatomy development
  • Options
    Mine was 18.5 weeks last time. It'll be closer to 20-22 this time.
    I might double check because I wouldn't want to have to go back twice. My insurance charged extra for each ultrasound. We ended up needing to go back last time because she was covering her face and they couldn't get measurements. It got expensive.