August 2015 Moms
Options

3-hour glucose test nightmare

hi ladies, it's my first time posting, other than just responses, but I'm so frustrated I just need to hear what some others who have been through this might think.

I failed my one hour test (I think I ate too many carbs beforehand, and I was the last appt of the day). So I went in for the 3 hour.

My fasting blood sugar was 78, so that's awesome. Then for the 1 hour draw, 3 different nurses tried for half an hour and couldn't get blood from me, so I "automatically failed" that draw since they didn't get blood. I passed the two hour draw with flying colors, and then I failed the 3 hour draw by 3 POINTS. They drew my blood ten minutes early for the 3 hour draw, which seriously could have affected my reading.

Now, since I have 2 "failures" counting my "automatic failure", I technically failed overall. I have to finger prick for 2 weeks and self monitor before they diagnose me, but I am sooooo far beyond frustrated and anxious about this.

Can anyone relate to this? Any tips as i begin my self-monitoring phase? I feel like the incompetence of the nursing staff really set me up for failure. I'm a super healthy eater (who does enjoy the occasional treats in moderation), and I have never once been spoken to about inappropriate weight gain during this pregnancy.

I just needed to vent to a group of ladies who might understand my frustration and disappointment.

Re: 3-hour glucose test nightmare

• Options
    Wow, sorry to hear about this. I haven't been through this, but I'm difficult for some to draw blood from. I've poked many times because the nurse couldn't get it right. But for there to be failed attempts by three nurses seems odd. And not that you want to take the 3 hour test again, but I probably would have insisted on another test (and I would insist that I not be billed for it) because it was the staffs fault for the automatic fail, not yours. Otherwise I don't really have any advise. Hope your self monitoring goes well and it is nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Pregnancy hormones cause insulin resistance so even if you are a healthy eater and gaining weight at a good rate, you can still have GD. Don't feel like you did something wrong if you do. Just keep up the good work and hopefully it turns out to be wrong. Either way, it's short term.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That would piss me off so much!! I am going in for mine on Monday and I'm dreading it and hoping I pass. Why won't they just let you do it again in a week (even though it sucks)? Sorry I have no advice I just wanted to comisserate with you. Good luck and I hope you do well these next two weeks.
  • Options
    Seed0824 said:

Pregnancy hormones cause insulin resistance so even if you are a healthy eater and gaining weight at a good rate, you can still have GD. Don't feel like you did something wrong if you do. Just keep up the good work and hopefully it turns out to be wrong. Either way, it's short term.

^ this! Also I recommend arm pricks. They are a bit more difficult to get a large enough drop, but they cause a lot less sensitivity.
    Also if you decide to request a re-do, ask them to place a warm/hot compress on while prepping the sticking stuff. It helped me out big time.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    Yes echo above that often weight and diet don't affect who had GD so if you do have it it is not your fault by any means.

That said you don't want to be diagnosed with a false positive and it seems so much more annoying to have to monitor every day for two weeks than just to redo the test. I would demand a retest if it were me personally

• Options
    I'm a relatively healthy eater but have always been a little heavy for my height. I haven't gained any weight so far this pregnancy. I'm still wearing my pre-pregnancy pants with a belly band at 29 weeks!

That being said, they diagnosed me with GD after my 12 week appointment. My mom had it with her first pregnancy and, given my weight at the time, they diagnosed it from the first round of blood work.

It's a hassle. I test 4x a day, everyday. They even put me on a low dose of Glyburide because my morning blood sugars were a few points over where they would like for them to be. My midwife thinks I've been misdiagnosed but the OB who's in charge of the practice is insistent that I keep monitoring. I pretty much eat like I normally would and maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks I have a reading higher than target.

Sorry for the long explanation. Lol. 2 weeks of monitoring may seem like a pain but it's not that bad. I promise.
  • Options
    Where are you all having your glucose tests done? I just went to my local lab that is first come first serve. So I have phelbomtists who in general do a good job. I would demand a retest. In a nurse and start iv's and can draw blood if I need to but I am by no means an expert. We have a whole phlebotomy team for that. I would go to a lab instead of a Drs office.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Saratiff said:

Where are you all having your glucose tests done? I just went to my local lab that is first come first serve. So I have phelbomtists who in general do a good job. I would demand a retest. In a nurse and start iv's and can draw blood if I need to but I am by no means an expert. We have a whole phlebotomy team for that. I would go to a lab instead of a Drs office.

That's a good idea. I just had the test at my OB's office.
  • Options
    dkizz82dkizz82 member
    I'm so sorry. I came out of my 3 hour looking like someone had beaten me. I still have bruises and it's been a week and a half. I am hard to draw too but they got my first try every time. I would be so pissed!
    Pregnancy Ticker