Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Horizontal indentation on back of baby's head

Everything in the hospital after DD was born is a bit of a whirlwind blur to me now, but when DD was born someone at the hospital mentioned that DD's head had a little bit of an indent from how she was carried.  (I think?) Now it just looks like there's a bit of a shape to her head in the back but it doesn't strike me as a flat spot.  More of just a horizontal indentation favoring the right side. I've read about posterior fontanels, but this seems bigger than  that.  Anyone else have an infant with a different head shape?  I assume if it's normal it should go away in a few weeks, but I am kind of wondering if I should bring it up at her one month visit next week...

Re: Horizontal indentation on back of baby's head

• Absolutely bring it up. My daughter had torticollis and plagiocephaly at birth so she has an odd shaped head on one side. In fact, even after physical therapy she still needs a helmet for a couple months so I'd ask your Pedi.

• This is a side profile pic.  Does this remind you of your DD?  The pics I find online are so hard to compare with.
  • Loading the player...

• This is a side profile pic.  Does this remind you of your DD?  The pics I find online are so hard to compare with.

So it's kind of a cone shape? DD turned her head to the right side only because of her torticollis so she had a flat spot on the lower right side of the back of her head. She did have sort of a ridge on the top of her head though, like the picture you attached.

I want to mention that my son had the same misshapen head and his corrected without any intervention. He didn't need physical therapy or a helmet. (Don't want to scare you or anything!)

I'd just run it by your Pedi and he/she might tell it's totally normal for a young baby. Do lots of tummy time and try to keep her off the back of her head as much as you can.

• Yeah, it's a ridge type of dent.  :/  Did your DD have the misshapenness at birth?  My OB told me all during my pregnancy that she was low in there, so I feel guilty about how she was carried even though I know I couldn't change it...:(
  • Yeah, it's a ridge type of dent.  :/  Did your DD have the misshapenness at birth?  My OB told me all during my pregnancy that she was low in there, so I feel guilty about how she was carried even though I know I couldn't change it...:(

Yes she had it at birth but she also has a seriously gigantic head. Like off the charts big. Both my kids do! 

I was carrying her super low for months though and that's why she had torticollis. Nothing we could have done differently and thank god it's not something life threatening or dangerous. Most misshapen heads can be fixed without any intervention at all.

• Thanks for all of the info!