February 2015 Moms

In-Laws Arguing with Us over Introducing their dog to our Newborn

Hi Mommas! My son is almost 8 weeks old, time is flying by. My in-laws have a Rotweiller, who is a very sweet dog. They treat her like their baby, literally bring her out to eat with them, and when they come to our house, in the past we have allowed them to bring their dog. My husband and I don't own a dog. So before the baby arrived, we made a rule that for atleast 2 months the dog was not allowed over, and they would need to give us time to decide when it was right for them to be introduced. My in-laws continue to ask my husband about bringing the dog over, Im still not ready yet. I'm still in protection mode and really just don't want my son around a 100lb dog yet, no matter how good she is, dogs are unpredictable. We recently got into a huge argument with my inlaws over this issue where I had to make it clear that it was our house our rules, and that we aren't ready for their dog to come over yet. They don't agree with us nor respect our decision. I should also note they only live 30 minutes away. Anyone going through this or been through this? Help!

Re: In-Laws Arguing with Us over Introducing their dog to our Newborn

• I agree that you should be the ones to make the decision. However, at this point the baby is not mobile and would be completely supervised around the dog. It makes sense to me to let them meet now and get the dog used to baby. I'd be more concerned about them interacting when baby is crawling and could do something that might startle the dog. Just my two cents.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

• foxslawfoxslaw member
    We have a pitbull and she's great with our baby. Are you maybe being s bit unreasonable?
  • Loading the player...
  • I think this is completely your decision. I'm a dog lover, have dogs, let the baby around dogs etc. However my baby my rules. Your baby your rules. Your in laws got to raise their own kid and got to choose what they felt comfortable with and what they didn't. This is your child. I've had a rottie and I loved him, sweetest dog ever. Would I be keen on him being around my 8 week old baby? Probably not 100%, and he was my dog, not someone else's. You stand your ground. You need to let them know they need to respect yours and your husbands decisions. Period. Good luck and I hope all goes very well when your LO is introduced! :)
  • Our boxer is amazing and loving with our 3month old.
  • teemo87teemo87 member
    I know that dogs are amaizing and loveing creatures but i saw alot of scary vedios that dogs bite kids and babies.
    I dont want to scare you more but i know why you are worrying
    This must be your decision but if you are plannig to let the dog meet the baby, earlier is better because the baby is not moving now and you can keep him in your hands until the dog leave your home for some visits until you feel that the dog used to the baby.
  • I have three dogs. Two pits & 1 small dog. If this dog is going to be a constant in life, it's better to introduce the baby & dog as soon as possible so the dog gets use to the baby.
    Supervision is key and necessary. Also let me just add that most incidents where a child is bitten or mauled, is a situation that could have been 100% prevented. Odds are the dog showed signs before hand of annoyance and it is the responsibility of the dog owner and parent of the child to ensure the safety of both baby and dog.
    If you allow your child to start crawling or be handsy with a dog he's never met, you're asking for trouble.
    Plus your in law's dog might end up being your sons best friend.
  • I completely understand where you're coming from. Ultimately it's your call if you want the dog around or not, and they just don't have any grounds to be upset.

The issue in my mind is not the temperament of the dog. I'm sure she is so sweet and they know her very well. The issue is that in the very small possibility she gets jealous, or snaps, or just plays too hard, a rottweiler has the ability to do a lot of harm. Their jaw capacity and strength is amazing, they are bred for that. So while I've read that dachshunds are the most aggressive breed, no one is scared to have their baby around a weenie dog. You have good reason to be cautious.

I think if you allowed the dog over and took it slow it may not be the big deal you feel like it will be. At 8 weeks old your baby will not be pulling tails or ears, and will be able to get adjusted to the dog slowly. He will be held and never left alone. You can use the visits as an opportunity to expose your son to animals and teach him how to interact safely with them. If you don't trust your in laws to not leave the dog unsupervised with your son, then I wouldn't allow them to babysit. 

• I have three dogs. Two pits & 1 small dog. If this dog is going to be a constant in life, it's better to introduce the baby & dog as soon as possible so the dog gets use to the baby.
    Supervision is key and necessary. Also let me just add that most incidents where a child is bitten or mauled, is a situation that could have been 100% prevented. Odds are the dog showed signs before hand of annoyance and it is the responsibility of the dog owner and parent of the child to ensure the safety of both baby and dog.
    If you allow your child to start crawling or be handsy with a dog he's never met, you're asking for trouble.
    Plus your in law's dog might end up being your sons best friend.

I definitely agree! It's your baby and your rules 100%. I was a little worried about bringing my newborn around one of my own dog as she is nervous around new people and that's always been her temperment but found it so easy for her to see a newborn that doesn't move or fuss (she was sleeping). I'd be way more nervous introducing a crawling or crying baby!

Another trick - my husband took home a hat, clothes and blanket from the hospital to let the dogs smell her before we brought our LO home!

• If you do decide for them to meet, you might consider doing it at a neutral place. Taking your baby to their house might make the dog territorial, while bringing the dog to your house might be overwhelming and make the dog agitated. I would also recommend having in laws take a piece of clothing beforehand to let their dog get used to your baby's smell.
  • Your Inlaws need to get over it. It's a dog. I would think they wouldn't risk the relationship they have with you or their grandbaby over getting the dog introduced. Go with your gut, if you aren't comfortable, don't rush things.