TTC After a Loss
Options

Introduction

Hi ladies- sad to be here with you all but I figured I would stop lurking, come to terms with our loss, and start taking advantage of the love and support offered here.

We had a MMC on May 13th, (11 weeks, baby measured 8), and a D&C on the 14th.

We are not wasting any time and are actively TTC. I've ordered IC OPKs and tests, and plan to start testing when I get them until they turn negative, and then start w OPKs.

We have never had problems getting pregnant, and I've always been regular, so I'm terrified of what the D&C and post-op infection may have done to my cycles. I'm optimistic another pregnancy will happen soon (by end of summer, maybe??), but I'm not mentally prepared for the thought of this journey taking longer than anticipated. Just praying and trying to stay positive. The days seems to pass so much more slowly lately...

Re: Introduction

• Options
    So sorry for your loss. 
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss.  I agree, the days just seem to keep dragging along.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am very sorry for your loss. Welcome to the board. Just something to think about, given the D&C and post-op infection, you might seriously consider waiting an extra cycle before trying again. Given the big picture, waiting is always safer and if you aren't in your 40s, won't have a negative impact on your chances of having a successful pregnancy. However, if your uterus and lining isn't fully healed and ready, success too soon does have the potential for another loss. Aside from the added grief of back to back losses, and the potential for overwhelming guilt at not waiting one extra cycle, there is also the very real risk of developing Asherman's scarring in the uterus if you need a second D&C. The choice is completely yours, and talking to your doctor is always appropriate, I just wanted to point things out from my experience that you may not have thought about.

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage

• Options
    I appreciate the feedback @MrsGargoyle! I've actually seen some research that says the sooner the better when ttc after loss, but I know there are mixed opinions out there. Thankfully, the post-op infection was caught very early at the first sign of fever, and as of my last appointment hadn't set back my healing any.

I go in tomorrow for my 2 week follow up, and I assume I will have an ultrasound to make sure my uterine lining is healing like it should. Asherman's syndrome is a very real and present fear, and I also have early endometriosis, so I feel like a ticking time bomb sometimes... 

I think as long as my uterus looks good from a medical standpoint tomorrow, we will continue with the plan of TTC this cycle. Of course if waiting becomes medically necessary, we will prevent until next cycle. 

• Options
    edited May 2015

That's great, I am glad your doc is following your case closely and taking the extra precautions needed.

Unfortunately, the research that suggests a woman is 'more fertile after a loss' is suspect in its conclusion because of the old causation vs correlation speed bump in research. There is a very strong argument that the finding that most women become pregnant early after a miscarriage is likely because most women do not have underlying causes of miscarriage unrelated to random genetic flaws of the lost embryo, and therefore have nothing that might delay or prevent a subsequent pregnacy. Likewise with the study that suggested that women who get pregnant within the first 6 months after a loss are more likely to carry the subsequent pregnancy to term and have a live birth. I am not suggesting that you aren't one of the ones more likely to have a successful pregnancy swiftly, please don't misunderstand me on that, even mild endometriosis can be workable. It's just an interesting interface glitch between findings and conclusions that laymen, doctors, and even the researchers themselves struggle with (both in medicine and non-medical fields), and that interface glitch is something that interests me.

I hope your u/s goes well and you are cleared to try again!

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage