March 2015 Moms

Hand foot and mouth disease!!!!

gdamore11gdamore11 member
edited May 2015 in March 2015 Moms
Our 15 month old nephews will be in town tomorrow from Ohio to meet their cousin (my 11 week old) for the first time. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law just found out that their boys have hand foot and mouth disease a couple days ago!!! I'm totally freaking out about even letting them see their new nephew and introduce the cousins...but this is their first time here to even see him and they're staying for two weeks! Luckily they are staying at my father-in-law's place, but we will still be getting together as a family. I feel like I can't completely keep them away from my baby, but I'm just so worried about him being exposed to this when he's so little. We called our pediatrician and she said that it's really only contagious 2 days before, and two days after it starts, but I've read some conflicting advice online that says it could be contagious for a couple weeks. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm just so torn because we were so excited for our boy to meet his aunt and uncle and cousins for the first time :-S

Re: Hand foot and mouth disease!!!!

• Mic512Mic512 member
    Listen to the ped. DS had it but not this little. Try to avoid to close contact during the contagious period. Wash your hands a lot!
  • Do you have a baby carrier like a moby wrap? You could wear your little one during the first few days of get-togethers , that way your nephews can't really get their hands on him. We had my 1st sons bday party when my 2nd son was less than a week old.. I just warned my family "I will be wearing him so that we don't play pass-the-baby and expose him to everyone's germs! :)" by being upfront and making a joke about it, no one expressed disappointment... To my face at least haha. At that point I figured, hurt a few feelings or keep my baby healthy!
    Whatever you do, good luck! And lots of hand washing
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with what others have suggested, including your pediatrician. It is really a mild illness in general, but does tend to be contagious. Exposure while pregnant is pretty dangerous (high chance of miscarriage), but otherwise it's mostly just annoying. Washing hands, avoiding tons of contact, wearing baby... Take every precaution you can, but no need to quarantine anyone.