December 2014 Moms

Baby sign language

I'm starting to teach LO the basics (eat, more, milk, finished, mom, dad) and just wanted to see if any other moms were planning on trying sign language. I think LO is still too young to sign back but figure it's never too early to start!

Re: Baby sign language

• I know a few people that have taught their LOs sign language and it seems to work for them to a certain degree but it's probably not something I would do. I'd rather take that time to teach them words rather than signs
  • I'm pretty sure that DC teaches sign language- I'm not sure at what age they start?  We'll probably try the basic ones (more, all done, eat, etc) until DD can use words.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @jpagano113 I think this type of sign language is to help them communicate before they can say words. And to help them communicate with friends/family who might have a hard time understanding their words. From what I've read it actually encourages them to communicate more!
  • diz1313diz1313 member
    We did a few words of sign with our son and it helped SO much. He could tell us when he was hungry, dirty, or thirsty long before he could talk. We taugh him eat, more, diaper, milk, water, and thank you. I plan to do the same with the girls.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • @diz1313 how early did you start? And when did you notice him signing back?
  • I plan to teach signs to my son, just need to learn them myself! How long does it take babies to catch on?
  • diz1313diz1313 member
    I started signing to him as soon as he started paying attention to what was going on around him. The first time he signed back was probably about 7 months. He learned "more" pretty fast.... it's an easy sign and it was good he wanted more of. Ha!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I have been taking a class called " baby fingers" in which we learn songs like "I like to eat apples and bananas" and the signs along with them -it's a fun class - not sure what my 5 month old is retaining - but I'm learning a lot . I find myself singing and signing the alphabet to her a lot!
  • I have an aunt who teaches sign language to deaf babies. When I told her I was planning on using baby signs, she said now (5 months ) is the perfect time to start. As long as you are consistent your baby should begin using the signs between 7-9 months.
    Baby signs is not used instead of speaking, but as a means to communicate with baby before they can speak. Babies who have means to communicate before they can speak, tend to be less fussy. I began using signs this week. I love you, mom, dad, more, food, milk, up, all done, and a few more.