May 2015 Moms
Options

Induction and a big baby!

hi ladies FTM here! I'm 40w4d and was sent to the hospital yesterday for monitoring because my NST showed some decels in the baby's heart rate, turns out everything is ok after the ultrasound and further checking. However my fiancé is in the military and is headed over seas on June 12th so my doc scheduled me an induction for tomorrow night starting at 7pm! The ultrasound showed my little guy was a whopping 9lbs 1oz, and I have a relatively petite frame, any ladies experience a large baby and deliver vaginally with no issues? I'm a little nervous because I really have no experience at all! ;;)

Re: Induction and a big baby!

• Options
    My son was 8.8lbs and I had no issues. Got one stitch but wouldn't have even known if I wasn't told. Those ultrasounds can also be off by a few lbs. I wouldn't worry about it!
  • Options
    jrecinejrecine member
    Awesome, congrats to you! Thank you :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just went through a vaginal birth last thursday my baby was 10lbs exactly. The epidural didnt work so i had to do it naturally. Everything was fine other than when the baby was coming out her shoulders were stuck and she hurt it. So she had to spend a couple days in nicu until she could move it a bit better
  • Options
    My first was 9lbs5ozs and was born vaginally with no complications. I'm tall but have a slender frame. You can do it! Also, those late ultrasound measurements can be inaccurate so baby may be smaller than expected.
  • Options
    ali0608ali0608 member
    My first baby was predicted to be big and I had GD so they induced. Induction went fine and we had no complications. He ended up being 7 lb. 5 oz. It's funny looking back because he's only been called "big" when I was pregnant. Since then he's always been in the 50th or less percentile. (Now he's in the 10th.)
    This baby was predicted at 10 lb. 7 oz. And I had GD again. So they recommended a c section that same day (39 weeks). He was big, 9 lb 6 oz, but still not as big as they thought.
    So don't worry too much! Inductions aren't all terrible and the predictions can be off!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    jrecinejrecine member
    Thanks ladies! Hearing your experiences really help! :)
  • Options
    Dd2 was 9lbs1oz, a few days early. I'm also tall but thin and had a little tear but she came out in 2 easy pushes.

Dd3 was 8lbs8oz and came out with no tearing in one easy push, like 20 seconds. The entire staff stood their with their mouths open.

I wouldn't freak out, your body can do this! I don't call babies big until they're 10lbs ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    My baby was 9lbs 4 oz and delivery went great. I pushed for 30 minutes and only needed three stitches. With the epidural, it was a great experience!
  • Options
    My son was 9.9 lbs (12 days overdue) my husband and I are both generally small people. Delivery was fairly uncomplicated for me, but I ended up with an infection and he was delivered with forceps to help get him past my pelvic bone quicker so he had less of a chance of getting an infection as well.
  • Options
    I beat you all! My DD was an incredible 10lbs 2 oz and I did it vaginally and naturally. Only one stitch and the midwives debated whether I needed that one at all. I was so glad that nobody told me she was going to be that big (everybody was shocked - even the midwives) because I would have been scared. It was no worse than my DS who was 8'10. You can do it, it's what our bodies were meant to do!
  • Options
    I was induced last Saturday at 40w3d because my fluid was low. She ended up being 10 lbs 13 oz and I did deliver vaginally. I had some tearing and stitches, but it was about the same as my other two, and they were 6 lbs 14 oz and 8 lbs 4 oz!
  • Options
    jrecinejrecine member
    I give you ladies lots of credit! Hopefully I can be a trooper and pull through tomorrow! :)
  • Options
    My first was 9.1, second was 12.4, and I just had my third with a successful induction (first two came on their own) and she was 11.7. No GD but I am tall (5'11") as well as my husband (6'3") and big babies run in the family. I did have tearing with all 3 but nothing out of the ordinary. It was totally doable! Don't worry about it & try to enjoy the experience as much as you can :)