May 2015 Moms

Anyone dealing with tongue tie?

Our pediatrician and lactation consultant have diagnosed a moderate tongue tie for DD.  Breastfeeding is killing me and she's not very efficient at getting latched on and taking milk.  Anyone else dealing with tongue tie?  We go back to pediatrician on Friday to discuss whether to clip it or just try and take measures to accommodate (pumping, breast shield, etc.).    

Hoping that if we do clip it, it will help with breastfeeding & latch - but I'm so nervous it won't or she won't be able to "relearn" how to latch on?  Would love to hear from anyone if clipping the tongue tie really did make a difference with breastfeeding! 

Baby girl born on May 15, 2015!  (DS born 2011)

Re: Anyone dealing with tongue tie?

• My LO was tongue tied and she couldn't latch at all. We stayed in the hospital an extra day and had it clipped when she was 3 days old. By that point we had introduced the bottle and I was nervous she would never latch. It took about 2 days of practice after we had her tongue clipped but now she is 5 weeks old and she can switch between bottle and breast without a problem!
  • Clip it. It will likely make a world of difference.
  • Loading the player...
  • With my 3 year old we had this issue.  It wasn't caught until we were home from the hospital... still not sure how I missed that looking back on it.  We had trouble with breastfeeding and weren't able to get in to the pediatric ENT doctor for it to be clipped until he was six weeks old.  On top of his latching issues I had a low milk supply and we ended up formula feeding.  I swore through my whole pregnancy that if breastfeeding didn't work for us that I wouldn't beat myself up but when the time came and we made the switch I of course kicked myself for a while.  So, I hope that you get it clipped and breastfeeding works beautifully for you but please know that if you end up having to formula feed that it isn't the end of the world.  My son is thriving, always has.  It will be harder on you than baby.  Best wishes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just got this diagnosis from the LC today, my son is 9 days old. It's hit me really hard. We're going to call two ENTs tomorrow and I really hope we can turn things around.
  • I went to an ent and they would not do it. You may want to look into a pediatric dentist. They did my sons with a lazer and it was amazing. I did have to pay about 500 out of pocket until I can submit to his medical as it was done at a dental office. It helped a lot with sucking a pacifier but still have latch issues but primarily due to other things and not the tongue tie issue
  • @Amber Woods What were the other things that are preventing a good latch? Thanks for sharing!
  • SannikaSannika member
    My LO was diagnosed with a mild tongue tie at 3 days old by our family doctor. She recommended I see a LC which confirmed it and referred us to several ENTs. We just got the procedure done at 17 days old, and it was the best decision for us. Immediately after the procedure he handed me the baby and she nursed, barely cried. It took literally 3 seconds for him to clip it and it made a world of difference on my nipples!
  • Just got my son's lip tie clipped at 3 weeks yesterday & it's much better. ENT did it in office.
    Totally worth doing.
  • My son is 3 weeks old and was born tongue tied also. Hoping at his 1 month check up the pediatrician decides to do something about it as I don't want it to cause him any difficulties in his future.
  • My second had a severe tongue tie - right to the tip of his tongue. It never affected his latch but made him gulp huge amounts of air with every feed. We had it clipped as it would have caused speech problems later. The difference in his wind problems was immediate.
  • My son is 5 weeks old, had lip and tongue tie lasered by a pediatric dentist 10 days ago. Huge improvement with nursing since. He is still learning to latch properly, but is able to do so much better now! Procedure was worth it!
  • OlgaN15OlgaN15 member
    I'm starting to suspect my LO has a tongue or lip tie. I met with a LC since breastfeeding hurt, to see if his latch was the problem. Well, his latch looked good, so I was no closer to figuring out why it hurt so much. I googled a bit and discovered that babies could have what appeared to be a good latch and be tongue or lip tied, causing pain. I kind of hope this is the problem, because then something can be done about it.
  • My LO had a tongue tie - we had it clipped while still in the hospital. So glad we did - she switched between breast, bottle and Paci like a champ. I have low supply issues so we didn't have a option but to do the whole spectrum
  • Thanks so much for all of your comments!  We go to the ENT on Friday and I'm looking forward to hearing what they say. I've also heard that laser is preferred, if we can find someone to do it. (They seem very spread out across our state).  Definitely think we need to clip it ASAP, as she is gulping lots of air / can't latch very well. 
    Baby girl born on May 15, 2015!  (DS born 2011)
  • I have a tongue tied LO 4 days old and it runs on daddy's side of the family and I don't think we are going to have it clipped. I have no issues with latch or supply and he gets plenty to eat. We will watch it as he grows but as of now no reason to do it
  • My son was just born tounge tied... The day after we had it done the day after he was born at the hospital... He had to do a little relearning but his latch is much better. It will help prevent speech problems down the road. He didn't even cry and there was just a little blood. No reason not too
  • We had the same kind of issues with our daughter. The pediatrician diagnosed it on day 4 and we had it clipped by day 6 by an ENT. She sat in her car seat and cried a little but healed very quickly. My mom and best friend are speech pathologists so I knew the importance for later in life. As far as breastfeeding we are still working on it due to my low supply and flat nipples but my daughter is still using her tongue much more and I feel certain it will make impact in her future.