June 2015 Moms
Options

Is there a polite way?

Ever since the long trip to l&d last week, people have been calling or texting nonstop to ask about the baby and when she'll be here. Most of them don't bother to check in when I'm not pregnant. I haven't been feeling like myself anyway since I don't feel like being as active as I'm used to and not working. As much as I love this kid, it's driving me crazy that all anybody cares about is her and not that I need sleep or rest.

I don't want to whine, but hints don't work and I have had 7 different people contact me today. It's been a minimum of 3 every other day and I can't ignore them or they call back. DH and I have both tried telling them I'm fine and need rest but will let people know when there is news or she's here, depending on who it is. No one seems to understand and the constant phone ringing is making me crazy. I need the phone on because my grandmother is having surgery, but I need a break.

Anybody have any suggestions on polite ways to get people to stop calling or texting nonstop? A few more weeks of this might make me lose it on somebody.

Re: Is there a polite way?

• Options
    Ignore them.
  • Options
    If you have an iPhone, I believe there's a way you can put it on "do not disturb" mode. I don't have an iPhone so I am not sure how to do this, but I've heard that you can set it so that only certain calls, texts, etc. can get through. That way you'd only hear from whoever's calling about your grandma, but your phone wouldn't wake you up for calls/texts from anyone else. 

Those of you with iPhones, am I totally crazy or is this a thing?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly, I would just turn the phone off and reroute grandma updates to hubby's phone. Good luck!
  • Options
    I have an android that barely works. It's time for an upgrade, but we're waiting on contracts to expire. I tried ignoring people but the phone kept ringing and DH is at work for a few more hours 45 minutes away.
  • Options
    mlindzzmlindzz member
    Perhaps try ending each conversation as you have been, by reiterating that you need rest, but by also adding that YOU will contact them when you're up for a chat or visit.

If they still don't listen, let your hubby be filter calls so you aren't having to deal with them. Good luck! Hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I think I may do something along those lines.
  • Options

If you have an iPhone, I believe there's a way you can put it on "do not disturb" mode. I don't have an iPhone so I am not sure how to do this, but I've heard that you can set it so that only certain calls, texts, etc. can get through. That way you'd only hear from whoever's calling about your grandma, but your phone wouldn't wake you up for calls/texts from anyone else. 

Those of you with iPhones, am I totally crazy or is this a thing?
    This is correct. :)
  • Options
    Yes ma'am this is a thing! Add the select few that you need to stay in contact with to your favorites list and then on the do not disturb setting click accept calls from favorites only.
  • Options
    I am sure they are just concerned & excited, so try not to be mad at your loved ones. I havent really had anyone check up on me & honestly it can get kinda sad. Just saying be thankful. They are being nice. But the vm is good idea, also respond by text & already have a good paste & copy message ready. Also pick a person to update ppl & that can relay news if anything happens of concern. You don't want to cry wolf & shoo everyone away, then be alone when something happens.
  • Options
    When I had gone to hospital cuz I was experiencing crazy stuff. I did NOT tell anyone but my mother. Then, when I arrived back home I told MIL...she was good, just limit detail...not further. Of course she told Grandma in Law. I got the feeling she was upset i wont share the info because i am fine. She kept asking what happened, I told her I am fine and I don't want to talk about it. So, ignore them. Tell them you are FINE and you will call them when it arrives.
  • Options
    I have an android and you can block calls ok it too. Do you have a samsung? Hubby has a dnd on that only allows calls from me after 9pm til 6am. So on android you can do it too. I've avoided telling people I'm going to the hospital, I had to go 3 separate times, luckily I told no one and neither did hubby. I told my mom the next day and she told everyone but that I was also fine. Not making that mistake again, next time peeps get to know anything is with a pic of lo. Also hope your grandma does well in surgery.
  • Options
    My setting is under blocking mode on my s3 galaxy.
  • Options
    Restrict the information your sending out. We are getting annoyed by the texts/calls but we are also not giving away any information. Unless your family you don't know our due date. People are asking when I'm due, I say June, now the questions are starting about induction. We aren't even in June yet!

We are being induced in Monday, immediate family only know this. We will then stem our announcements over the week or so. We also have to be respectful with our announcements as hubby's family is overseas and my siblings are all working away and won't be home for a week. I don't want a single photo on Facebook or announcement until our families get the privilege of skyping us to meet LO and also my family returning from work and getting to meet baby.
  • Options
    Tell them you are going to start charging per text / phone call.....

Seriously though , I would just tell them one final time you will let them know... Then block those numbers pending "go time"
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I have an android and you can block calls ok it too. Do you have a samsung? Hubby has a dnd on that only allows calls from me after 9pm til 6am. So on android you can do it too. I've avoided telling people I'm going to the hospital, I had to go 3 separate times, luckily I told no one and neither did hubby. I told my mom the next day and she told everyone but that I was also fine. Not making that mistake again, next time peeps get to know anything is with a pic of lo. Also hope your grandma does well in surgery.
    I have an android (Samsung Galaxy 4 mini) and had no idea it had this feature! Thanks for this info, I'm glad to know it just in case I end up needing it! :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Great advice! I will plan on doing that!
  • Options
    LAO12LAO12 member
    Love the VM idea!!!
    *** Siggy warning ***

DH: 31 normal
    Me: 31 tubal disease
    Married 2011
    TTC 2012
    Clomid x 2 with OBGYN: BFN
    IF testing 2013: blocked left tube, low AMH
    March 2014: Ectopic rupture, emergency surgery and D&C.  Absent left tube and now closed right tube
    October 2014: IVF with ICSI #1 - BFP (17r/14icsi/12f - 2ET 10/27; 7 frosties; Nov7 beta #1= 806; Nov10 beta #2= 2738; TWINS!!!!!  EDD late June/early July 2015)