April 2015 Moms
Options

please tell me I am not a monster

My junior year of high school I moved two states away. Needless to say it was a very long and lonely school year with no friends. I met my husband during the first couple of months after I moved, when we turned 18 we got married and became pregnant with our first daughter Emily(3 1/2 now). I have been a stay at home mother since I became pregnant with our first daughter. Our marriage is amazing, our first child was such a blessing and made everything feel like it was fitting together perfectly. Emily is such a beautiful social butterfly, so intelligent, and raising her had been an absolute breeze. She listens to everything we tell her, she just doesn't do anything she isn't supposed too. She was the happiest and brightest baby, even during teething time she hardly fussed at all. Then we had our second daughter Abigail(7 months now) we were also very excited during the pregnancy and we were so excited to see our family grow. She has been just a delightful as Emily and watching her grow has been great. A couple weeks ago my husband and I found out that we will be having a THIRD child(I am currently 11 weeks along). We are still super excited to add yet another addition to our family, however, I am not sure if it is hormones or what. I have been extremely depressed the past month. Abigail has been teething and it seems like she is so unhappy. It seems like all she does is cry all day, every day.. No matter what I do she isn't happy. My daughter Emily seems like she has been acting out all of a sudden - and I am sure that it probably all the changes of having siblings, so this I can understand. I feel terrible, I feel like in my frustration of Abigail being so unhappy that I don't want to be around her, or interact with her. I push her off onto my husband because I just CAN'T listen to the crying anymore. Then I am frustrated that I am frustrated with my baby girl. To top it off I also feel horrible because right now finances are extremely difficult and we have had to ask for a lot of help from family. I am constantly asking myself - "Why are we having another child if we can't even afford to take care of the first two??" and then finally I am asking myself "why am I even a mother if I cant deal with the crying of my children?" I feel like a terrible, neglectful mother.

I don't know if this is hormones, or the excited burning out child after child. I don't know if it is because I stay at home day after day, I don't know what questioning all this means.. I have no friends and the only family I know in this state are my parents. I don't ask or have anyone babysit. Since my children have been born there have been 4 times that someone has babysat my children for a few hours. Right now I am just so unhappy about the way my life is, I feel stressed and depressed by everything going on. I love my children so deeply, I really do. I am just wondering if anyone can relate to these frustrations??

Re: please tell me I am not a monster

• Options
    Yes! I felt for awhile I lost all connection with my 2 and a half year towards the end of my pregnancy. I'm 6 weeks post partum and finally feel we are 'good' again. He acted out quite a but and since I was so exhausted I would lose my cool with him so quick. Both our world's were turned upside down. It will get better.
  • Options
    owlzzowlzz member
    Thank you, it means a lot that you posted your story for me. I'm trying to feel better but it's a day by day process. Hopefully I won't feel this way for long.
    Thank you again
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    erikaluna01erikaluna01 member
    edited May 2015
    You are not a monster! I too feel this way sometimes. What you are feeling are the consequences of being over worked and tired. It can make anyone feel depressed. You definitely need to take time for yourself. Leave the kids with your husband for a couple hours once in a while. Going out Without the kids makes one feel free. They grow up quickly and this phase will pass.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm so sorry your going through this momma! I can't really relate about the other children as I just recently had my first, but there are days when she seems inconsolable and i question my ability to be a good mother. As someone else said, a lack of sleep can make anyone feel that way, and I'm sure hormones don't help. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor for help or a referral to a therapist, DO NOT think for a second that seeing a therapist is a bad thing. Personally I love knowing I have an appointment with my therapist. Also, maybe look into finding a moms group for your area? I'm part of one in my area on Facebook called my breast friends and they have been sooo helpful for venting and advice, look for something similar! Best of luck, and know your not alone:)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    You may want to try joining/participating in your birth month. This is a group for moms who gave birth or were scheduled to give birth in April 2015. Good luck momma, you are not a monster!
  • Options
    First off, you are not a monster, you are just human. You sound like a great mother who is currently going through a rough patch. As PP have mentioned, making connections is important. Having an online community is great, but I can't stress how important it is for you to get out and meet people. I was at the park with a friend yesterday and she said she still meets up regularly with moms she met at swimming lessons four years ago when her son was an infant. Play dates are as much about the children as they are about the mothers.