November 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone else trying to find a job?

Or is it just me? I have been out of school for a year. I have my degree, but no job prospects. We have been doing alright just on Hubby's income alone, but we are probably going to be moving so we will need some extra income.
Anyone else job searching or have any advice?

Re: Anyone else trying to find a job?

• Options
    I was offered a job Friday pending my background check. I felt like I went on a MILLION interviews. I'm glad I had them during first trimester because I was worried about judgement. I know they can't not hire you bc of pregnancy, but ultimately, you never know why you don't get hired somewhere.

GOOD LUCK!! it's stressful without being pregnant. Now, I'm really nervous about telling my future boss, but waiting for paperwork to be complete.
  • Options
    Yeah Im moving and possibly taking a new job as well. Its so stressful !!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    oaksemoaksem member
    I am literally in the same boat! We aren't moving anytime soon but I just feel like I really need to contribute. It's hard though! With baby on the way, I feel like I'll need to wait to jumpstart my career (if that what I want) so now I'm just looking for something that will give me some experience to help with a future job search. So torn! I could easily get any old job to help, and I really want to do SOMETHING, but husband insists on taking time to find useful job experience.
  • Options
    oaksemoaksem member
    @aprilwillis that's so great you got a job early! I know it's illegal for them to discriminate hiring someone because they're pregnant, but I'm in my second trimester and still jobless. Any advice?
  • Options
    Yes! I'm searching too. My second LO is on its way and I want to work part-time this time around. Last time I went down to "30 hours" - without a change in the scope of my role. It just didn't work. There just isn't room for a part-timer at the architecture firm I work at.

Plan A- I'm discretely asking around at similar firms to find an opportunity. I am very upfront about my impending maternity time. All the companies on my "A" list are small businesses who would be seriously impacted by extended time out of the office.

Keep the size of the business in mind. If you are looking at Fortune 500 companies they can probably handle you out of the office for a couple of months pretty easily. A small, 10-person company on the other hand would appreciate you considering the health of the business. But either way, employers should be working hard not to discriminate.
  • Options
    Me too! I was fired from my job at 12 weeks pregnant (whole terrible saga). Luckily my fiancé and I have been able to make it work, and I've had luck finding work. I recommend being really upfront about your pregnancy and honest about wanting time off. Companies are more likely to appreciate the confidence you bring about a tough subject and respect you more if you're upfront with them.

Just remember not to settle. Find a place that you truly believe will be good for you and the baby.