Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Sleep training with ongoing cold?

see8esee8e member
edited May 2015 in Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Hi all--

Our DD began doing long stretches during the night at about 8-9 weeks old, and about 14 weeks we started some light sleep training to try and eliminate her single MOTN feeding. Things were going well, but then she caught a nasty cold that she hasn't been able to shake for about a month (and she's 18 weeks now). It's been the worse over the past week, and we finally got her on some anitbiotics for a sinus infection. However, her sleep has totally gone out the window--waking up multiples times a night; unable to fall asleep without a pacifier; crying for much longer stretches. I can tell she doesn't feel good so I'm of the mind to put sleep training on hold until she's better...but does that create bad sleep habits?

Would love to hear your feedback or similar experiences! Thanks in advance for the insight.

(Cross posted in Jan 2015 Moms)

Re: Sleep training with ongoing cold?

• I'm not trying to be mean, and I know this isn't what you are asking but why on earth would you sleep train such a young baby? If she's waking to eat at night she must need the calories. 14 weeks is far too young to try to take that away and why would you even want to?

Nothing you do at this point in time will create bad sleep habits. Stop with that thinking. Your baby is very, very young and SICK so she needs extra attention right now. Whether it be a pacifier, snuggles or to eat in the night, you just have to do it.

I absolutely would not try any sleep training while she is sick and needy. I personally wouldn't have done any this young to begin with but you know your baby and the decision is yours...obviously.

• I'm sure you have the best of intentions so please don't get offended by my post and disregard it.

• Loading the player...
  • Jtsma10Jtsma10 member
    WOW!....Ok...so not sure how to answer after that response BUT..... My LO had a cold for about a month also, we tried damn near everything to get him to sleep. Dad was back at work after 2 weeks and I was back after 4 so we NEEDED our baby to sleep good during the night. We tried the swing, the carseat, even putting a neck pillow under his bassinet just to keep him propped up so he wouldn't cough and choke on his own mucus. I KNOW! Call CPS because I let my child sleep in a swing all night, or with a pillow underneath him to sleep! I would suggest, get rid of the cold first. Figure out how to get that to go away and then go back to the light sleep training method. It was obviously working for the first several weeks, I'm sure it will work again. Hope the cold goes away soon! 
  • Jtsma10 said:
    WOW!....Ok...so not sure how to answer after that response BUT..... My LO had a cold for about a month also, we tried damn near everything to get him to sleep. Dad was back at work after 2 weeks and I was back after 4 so we NEEDED our baby to sleep good during the night. We tried the swing, the carseat, even putting a neck pillow under his bassinet just to keep him propped up so he wouldn't cough and choke on his own mucus. I KNOW! Call CPS because I let my child sleep in a swing all night, or with a pillow underneath him to sleep! I would suggest, get rid of the cold first. Figure out how to get that to go away and then go back to the light sleep training method. It was obviously working for the first several weeks, I'm sure it will work again. Hope the cold goes away soon! 

You must feel guilty about the swing and that's why you mention CPS. Chill dude.

And of course you NEED sleep. Everyone does but sometimes the needs of your little tiny baby have to come first.

• Jtsma10 said:
    No, I felt like you standing there with your pitchfork and were after everyone who disagreed with you or thought differently. I've read your posts. 

I was incredibly polite to her, and helpful. You really should relax a little and have a little more confidence in your parenting so you aren't intimidated by me.
  • Jtsma10Jtsma10 member
    Thanks for your advice! I can't believe as adults people still act this way. And if you think incredibly polite is starting a sentence off with "I'm not trying to be mean" then you're trolling. 
  • Jtsma10 said:
    Thanks for your advice! I can't believe as adults people still act this way. And if you think incredibly polite is starting a sentence off with "I'm not trying to be mean" then you're trolling. 

Funny you mention trolling....sounds an awful lot like what you do with my posts. You are too funny. If you can't handle my communication style and my advice then ignore me. That's perfectly fine by me.
  • I agree with @Bigboobsmcgee .

It's way too early to sleep train.

@Jtsma10 : please please get some professional help, hun. All of your posts sound so angry, demeaning & aggressive. It's concerning to me that you feel the need to berate & act like this. It appears you are going through some real emotional turmoil & lashing out.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I agree with @Bigboobsmcgee . It's way too early to sleep train. @Jtsma10 : please please get some professional help, hun. All of your posts sound so angry, demeaning & aggressive. It's concerning to me that you feel the need to berate & act like this. It appears you are going through some real emotional turmoil & lashing out.
    I really thought I was the only one who thought this.
  • If you read her post, she was asking for advice on how to get her baby to sleep while she's sick. NOT on her parenting methods. You guys aren't Bump Admins, you can't just go around telling people they need help because they don't think the same way as you. 

Sorry if they come off sounding mean or angry, it's more of frustration of moms who shame others because of their parenting methods. 
  • Jtsma10 said:
    If you read her post, she was asking for advice on how to get her baby to sleep while she's sick. NOT on her parenting methods. You guys aren't Bump Admins, you can't just go around telling people they need help because they don't think the same way as you. 

Sorry if they come off sounding mean or angry, it's more of frustration of moms who shame others because of their parenting methods. 

Sigh. That's how the internet works. You put something out there but you cannot dictate the types of responses you get.

The OP isn't butthurt so why are you?

• Jtsma10Jtsma10 member
    edited June 2015
    If you look on my post on May 26, she liked it. So apparently she has nothing else to say then your advice as to "i'm not trying to be mean but..." wasn't helpful for her. So let's just end this before another discussion is closed because of our disagreements.