Working Moms

Those of you who chose a daycare close to work.

How does your LO do with the commute?  This will be DD's first time in school.  (My mom has taken care of her since she was 6 months)  Anyway, I looked at preschools close to home and close to work and the one I liked the best is a 2 minute drive from my work.  My commute is 30 minutes.  DH works very long hours and leaves for work at 4:30AM so I will always have to do drop-offs and pick-ups so that's not a factor.  I was just wondering if the commute would be too much for DD.  She normally likes the car but I'm not sure how tired she'll be after a whole day of school.  Or maybe I'm just overthinking this.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Those of you who chose a daycare close to work.

• Our daycare is 1.2 seconds from my work. I work 15 minutes from home. My kids are older (4 & 2), and they do really well. I love it. I go over for class parties and lunch regularly. We have a DVD player we watch on the way home when they are tired.
  • Our daycare is near my work and it can take up to an hour to get there as traffic is a nightmare where I live. Daycare near home isn't an option as there aren't many high quality daycares and the significant traffic issue make it problematic.  He actually does pretty well during the commute.  He generally looks out the window and talks about things, plays with a toy truck or train, we listen to songs he likes, he plays with an iPad, etc.  There have never been any real issues and he doesn't fuss or anything for the most part.  The evening commute is about half an hour and he's fine as well.  He is tired from a full day of daycare so he kind of just chills out and is quiet Lol.  He can occassionally get crabby if we get stuck in traffic on the way home, but overall it isn't too bad.   I think if you prepare for it by bringing some things to keep her entertained, it would probably be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Daycare is near my work as well. Now, I am less than 10 mins away. I transitioned to a new position but before that, I was pretty much right around the corner between work and daycare. When she starts preschool in a year, she will be right down the street for me as well.
  • WLJ2WLJ2 member
    DS has been driving with me two work for about a year and a half now. The commute is between 30-60 min depending on traffic. He does great!