Baby Names
Options

Camille, Camilla, Camelia...?

My grandmother, whom I adored, was Mildred. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the worst name in the world! I'd love to honor her with a name that lends itself to the nickname Millie, Mila or something similar. Thoughts on the above or other options?

Not a fan of Millicent. I do love the name Mila by itself, but I'm not sure if the style goes well with DS, who is Theodore (we call him Theo). It feels a bit trendy, whereas we tend to gravitate toward more traditional names.
BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.

Re: Camille, Camilla, Camelia...?

• Options
    Love Camilla or Camille!

Other names that could use "Millie":
    Emily
    Milania
    Amelia
    Emilia
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I think Mila and Theo are fine together! Mila isn't my cup of tea because it is trendy, but it's as close as you're going to get to your GMs name as you can get considering your previously mentioned dislike of Mildred and Millicent. My next choice would probably be Camille.

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    saham07saham07 member
    Camilla and Camila are 2 different names....and pronounced differently. Camilla = Ca-mill-a. Camila = Ca-MEE-la. Mila= MEE-la. If you are going for the Mill sound, I would go with Camilla. Camilla is very pretty. I know someone with a daughter named Matilda with the nn Milly.
  • Options
    love all 3

• Options
    It's a shame you don't like Mildred. I think it's an awesome name, and I love it with Theodore! I do also like @saham07 suggestion of Matilda nn Milly. For my personal taste, I prefer your M choices over your C choices.
  • Options
    I think Camilla (ca-mill-ah) NN Millie is a great fit with Theo. I have always loved the nickname Millie :)
  • Options
    1 vote for Camille
  • Options
    I like Camilla the best, but all are nice.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    I love Millie too! Camille and Camilla are both beautiful. I think they both work with Theodore.
  • Options

It's a shame you don't like Mildred. I think it's an awesome name, and I love it with Theodore!

Really? I always loved it just because of who my grandma was, but the name itself always reminded me of mold or mildew. It doesn't feel like old lady chic to me; just old lady.

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    g8trkimg8trkim member
    I kind of like Mildred but I can understand it's not for everyone. Your other suggestions are nice, but to me it's turning Mildred into a totally different name and kind of defeats the purpose. I think Millie would be adorable! I would use Mildred or Millie as a MN.

• Options

It's a shame you don't like Mildred. I think it's an awesome name, and I love it with Theodore!

Really? I always loved it just because of who my grandma was, but the name itself always reminded me of mold or mildew. It doesn't feel like old lady chic to me; just old lady.

Yeah, really! LOL but I like alot of dusty old names :-) to me, Gertrude (as an example) is old lady not chic, and hard for me to picture on a child. But Mildred to me reads more "solid citizen," or "community bake sale," but also "little girl hosing a tea party." I feel exactly the same about Astrid.

I wasn't saying you aren't entitled to dislike it or anything like that- you're probably in good company with plenty of people who don't care for it. I just meant since it has such a meaningful connection for you, it's too bad you don't like it (especially since I happen to think it's perfect).
  • Options
    I love Mildred!
  • Options
    I like Camille and Camilla, or even just mila by itself. But Camelia sounds too much like chameleon so don't use that (from the title of your post).
  • Options
    I like Camille best out of those choices. Also like Camellia, but that doesn't go as well with Theodore. Also like the previous suggestion of Matilda.
  • Options
    I love Camille and Camilla.
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I like Camilla the best!