Infertility
Options

How do you handle, "when are you having kids?"

If you haven't seen my other threads, my husband and I have been trying for about two years with no success. Unfortunately we have unexplained infertility. We had our second IUI a couple weeks ago and unfortunately that didn't work out and we were heartbroken to say the least. Today in a meeting I was sitting with my arms over my stomach (I'm subconscious about the weight I feel I've gained from medication), and a teacher asked me when my husband and I were going to have babies and thought maybe I was sitting like that to cover my pregnant belly. I didn't even know how to respond. Had a good cry when I got home! How does everyone else handle these questions?
TTC #1 since August 2013
Unexplained/ Endo
Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
IVF #1- BFN
FET #1- BFP; Ectopic pregnancy found at 7wks
FET #2- February 2017 BFP  Beta #1- 119 (8dp5dt) Beta #2- 475 (12dp5dt)

Re: How do you handle, "when are you having kids?"

• Options
    mandasdmandasd member
    I work a pretty demanding job and I get downright tired sometimes. Anytime I ever feel a little "off," my coworkers say "maybe you're pregnant?" I love them but it's very insensitive. It's like I can never be tired or get sick without raising these questions. People don't mean to be rude and dumb but there's plenty of ignorance!
    Me: 37 / Hubs: 42
    TTC: April 2013
    DOR: AMH .3 - 1.31 (it varies); FSH: 5.1
    Clinic NMCSD
    IUI #1 July/Aug 2016
    IVF #1 Sep/Oct Microdose Lupron Protocol - IVF cancelled only 1 follicle
    IVF #2 Feb/Mar Antagonist protocol w/estrogen priming - 0 eggs retrieved (empty follicle syndrome) 
    Donor Egg Cycle as soon as we find a match
  • Options
    @mandasand I have a coworker that does the same thing! They have no idea how hurtful it is. What do you say? I have a hard time not getting upset. I try to laugh it off but it's a real slap in the face.
    TTC #1 since August 2013
    Unexplained/ Endo
    Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
    IVF #1- BFN
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ambdtbambdtb member
    It's really hard to answer this! I usually just say.... Hopefully soon! And at that point hopefully they just stop asking. It's really difficult when you're having a hard time emotionally.
    Married 4-27-13
    TTC for 1.5 yrs
    41 yrs old; DH is 37
    April 2014 MC at 9 wks 
    Jan 2015 Clomid, BFN 
    Feb 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 1st IUI, BFN 
    Mar 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 2nd IUI, BFN 
    May 2015 1st IVF, 19 follicles, 18 eggs retrieved on May 20, 13 fertilized, transferred 1 Blastocyst on May 25=BFP!; froze 2 Blastocysts
    Full term healthy baby boy born on 2-11-16
    Jan 29, 2018: FET 
    Feb 8. 2018: BFP! :)
    Mar 6: weak heartbeat. :(
  • Options
    gkapgkap member
    I usually say 'when the time comes'
  • Options
    I usually laugh and say no im just fat and then they back off (this is kind of mean but I also think that having children is personal and people can be very ignorant to infertility issues)  I also tell people that we are not planning on having kids right now.  This way the questions stop.
    Me - 32 
    Husband - 32
    TTC #1 - since 10/16/2012 
    IVF#1 6/2015 BFN 
    FET 7/2015 - BFP

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mandasdmandasd member
    A simple. "No" stops the conversation in the moment but it never fails that the next time they say the same thing again.

Clinic NMCSD
    IUI #1 July/Aug 2016
    IVF #2 Feb/Mar Antagonist protocol w/estrogen priming - 0 eggs retrieved (empty follicle syndrome) 
  • Options
    I have the same issue at work @mandasand . It's so upsetting and I get angry. I say no I'm just really not. I know they're not trying to be hurtful, but they know about my infertility issues so I think they would be more careful. Fact is unless you've dealt with infertility in can never know how to speak to someone who does.
    Married February 2012 TTC 2 years 4 months Diagnosis: PCOS and dh low morphology 1 MC at 9 weeks
  • Options
    mandasdmandasd member
    10% is what people say and 90% is how you react. You can only control how you react and what you say. Let the other stuff go. This is advice from someone in your same situation.

I don't cry when my friends have babies because I don't have one. If I cry, I cry tears of joy. I am always the one that offers to throw the baby shower. I don't get sad when I see other people's kids. I don't feel bad I don't have any. It is what it is. I am still deeply hopeful that I can have a child but I don't let it eat me up and I don't let other people hurt me.
    Clinic NMCSD
    IUI #1 July/Aug 2016
  • Options
    @Alyeena I think that's great! I think about doing that sometimes but I'm still so emotional about it all. I'm afraid I'd either come off as angry or start to cry. Something to work towards!
    TTC #1 since August 2013
    Unexplained/ Endo
    Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
    IVF #1- BFN
  • Options
    I usually say "when the time comes" or sometimes I even lie and say when I'm finished school or I don't want kids I get asked sooooo much by my husbands family and I just brush it off I used to take it hard
  • Options
    AlyeenaAlyeena member
    @lilmissslp

I don't get angry or sad. Not when I let people know for the first time at least. It's not their fault we are infertile. And especially with close family and friends it makes me feel better that they know. Amd we can share our progress.

When people keep saying stupid shit tho! Even after they know... Then I get angry. It's like one of best friend's boyfriend, they have a 3 year old and he said to me one time "hey be thankful you can sleep in the mornings" I wanted to stab him! Like, I would like nothing more than to wake up to a baby in the morning.

So ya some people just never get it xD
    35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016

• Options
    I tried a lot of things over the course of 8 years - we're not ready yet, we're not sure we're going to, maybe someday, etc. People seemed to ask again later or comment on our age or other things that were nasty for someone struggling with IF. Finally I told the truth in a very concise way (like one sentence, we've tried but have medical issues, etc) and that shut them down permanently in most cases, although some people ended up revealing their own struggles, which I don't find to be a bad thing. It's always nice to know you're not alone. At least when it didn't shut someone down, I was getting encouragement not nagging questions. I know that's not for everyone and I generally didn't tell people that I was currently trying if I was (none of their business, really), nothing that invited requests for updates, just a simple, general statement of fact.
  • Options
    @PhoenixRyuu that's great advice! I like simple and to the point.
    TTC #1 since August 2013
    Unexplained/ Endo
    Medicated IUIs # 1-3 BFN
    IVF #1- BFN