Trouble TTC

Newbie - second IUI today

Hello all!

This is my first post so forgive me if it's too long. I am 29 and have been TTC for almost two years now. I came off of birth control in the summer of 2013 and had no period for the next 8 months. Finally, after seeing my obgyn, I was diagnosed with PCOS. He put me on Provera for the next 6 months but I remained babyless.

In December, DH and I finally saw an RE and found out that besides my PCOS, DH has some moderate issues with sperm DNA fragmentation. Our RE suggested we do 5 days of 50 mg Clomid & IUI, which we did for the first time last month. I responded well to the Clomid; my uterus was thick, I had no negative side effects and I produced two big fat follicles (I forget their size but they had me do my trigger shot the same day of the U/S and my IUI was scheduled for the next day). The day of the IUI, out RE didn't seem thrilled about DH's sperm, but she said it wasn't too bad. I was certain that after the 2WW I'd get my BFP. Unfortunately I was wrong.

We started round two this month with my Clomid dose bumped up to 100 mg. Yesterday we went in for the U/S and I had an 18 mm follicle on the right along with 20 mm and 24 mm follicles on the left. But wait...I should have known better than to expect ALL good news. My uterine wall is only at 6.7. They want a minimum of 7, but ideally > 8. My RE decided it would be okay to go ahead with the IUI today. This morning, we went in and DH's sperm was at 80% motility BEFORE washing and 90% after. Great news, right?!?! So why do I feel so pessimistic?

I want to keep my spirits high, but I feel like after two years of monthly BFNs, I can't afford to get my hopes up. I am obsessing over the thin uterine wall and worrying about DH's sperm DNA. I don't want to turn every conversation with hubby into fertility talk, but it is all I think about. How am I going to make it through the 2WW? Can anyone relate to this? How do you all find the right balance between being a Debbie Downer and unrealistically optimistic?

Re: Newbie - second IUI today

• Just try your hardest not to even think about if. Try to keep really busy. You're in good hands with the re and from what I have seen pcos girls have good luck with iui. Fingers crossed for you.
  • @przemosbabe
    Thank you for your optimism. I hope that your'e right! 
  • Loading the player...
  • KLake42KLake42 member
    I'm about to go in for my 2nd IUI this morning.

I don't have advice on finding balance, but I can relate to the struggle!  I'm going to do everything I can to put it out of my mind for this TWW, and just focus on self-care, doing good things for my health and my emotional well being.  I'll use this as an excuse to take good care of myself, to seek out the movies I really want to see, and make sure I find tasty (healthy) food to eat, like fresh berries and such.  And try to NOT talk about this all the time!!!

I don't know if I'll succeed, but I'm laying that out as my intention.  Fingers crossed for both of us!!
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Good luck both of you! I'm suppose to start IUI this month, if my follicles cooperate which they didn't last month. Fx for both of you!
  • It is so helpful to talk to people who are in the same boat as me. This process can be so lonely at times. If it wasn't for these message boards I would think that I was the only one going through it.
    @KLake42 how did your IUI go?
    @Boogaloou how far into the process are you this month?
  • KLake42KLake42 member
    @tishi8285 I think it went okay.  It was with a different RE than my regular doctor, and he was pretty certain that the timing was good, based on the LH reading from a blood test yesterday.  I reckon I'll trust him, though he was really skeptical about the usefulness of temping and charting (and the way he said it sort of rubbed me the wrong way).

But just mild cramping, nothing to complain about.  The only pain was when I paid (my insurance doesn't cover this).  

How'd it go for you?

I'm hopeful that the wait will be okay.  I'm not as wide eyed and hopeful as I was last cycle, and I'm a little more in the groove that this could be part of a process (so maybe I'll be less anxious about another BFN).  

But maybe... I had this weird thing happen yesterday.  I was driving home and a tree *almost* fell on my car (after some storms).  The trunk hit next to the car, but I saw all the branches coming down over the windshield.  I was sure I'd be squished!  And wow, did I scream!  But I wasn't hurt, and the car wasn't even scratched.  Maybe that means I've got some good luck! Or maybe, it's just perspective... maybe I'll get another BFN, but that's better than being squished by a giant tree!

Whatever works, right?
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• @KLake42 That sounds terrifying! You've got some good luck indeed! I'm glad to hear that you're okay.
    I can definitely relate to the pain of pulling out my card to pay! We could almost pay for a second house with this money!
    This IUI was more painful than the last time but really not that bad. The first time, I didn't bat an eye and I went back to work afterwards. This time I had some cramping and pressure for the whole day. But it was nothing that I couldn't handle.
    I hope that in two weeks that we will both be celebrating BFPs!
  • tishi8285 said:

It is so helpful to talk to people who are in the same boat as me. This process can be so lonely at times. If it wasn't for these message boards I would think that I was the only one going through it.
    @KLake42 how did your IUI go?
    @Boogaloou how far into the process are you this month?

Hey. Sorry it took so long to respond. Life gets so busy! Currently CD 8, super currently sitting in the RE office waiting to find out how my follicles are progressing. Fx they do which would be better then last month
  • @Boogaloou I'm keeping my fx for you too!
  • I just had my second iui yesterday, and I can completely relate. DH calls me a pessimist because I say things like "if we get pregnant". Just remember, you're not alone!

*bursts into song*

TTC since 2011