November 2015 Moms

Change tables?

I just wanted to get some more experienced mums advice on change tables, for those who bought a change table with their first how often did you use it? Did you find it lost it's "novelty" kind of? For those who didn't buy one what did you use instead? And did you find you end up changing baby wherever convenient when at home? Just looking at some money saving ideas Thanks ladies :)

Re: Change tables?

• I was thinking that I've not been able to find a changing table under $150 which seems ridiculous to me, thanks @magnolia0212
  • Loading the player...
  • I love mine I got it 2nd hand at a resale shop. It's a nice wood frame with canvas drawers. My son is a kicker so when I change him elsewhere I get a foot in the ladybits if I'm not careful. I honestly didn't think I would use it as much as I do. It was worth the $100 I paid for it.
  • We had one that came with the crib, but honestly could only use it the 1st 3 months. He didn't fit in one after that. I usually ended up changing him on our bed or couch
  • LSRooLSRoo member
    I didn't realize they still sell actual "changing tables". I didn't see many when I was shopping for DSs nursery furniture. We used a changing pad on his dresser. He is 19 mo old and I still change him on it!
  • Used changing pad on a dresser. I feel like changing tables are a waste of money personally.
  • I really didn't think we would use ours as much as we have. We use it to store the wipes, diapers, butt cream, plus a million other things and we have the trash can right next to it so it's handy to have everything at arms reach when dealing with a messy one. LO is almost 2 and her feet kinda hang off but it doesn't really bother her. Hopefully she won't need it anymore (fingers crossed for potty training) so we can move it to younger siblings room.
  • I just put a change pad on the dresser. And I always change both my DS on it.
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • EMLarieEMLarie member

We didn't buy one and started out changing DD anywhere in the house... floor, couch, bed, pack n play. There was also this attachment on the pack n play for changing diapers that we used right where she was born, when we were close to it. It worked out well for us!

• mamavbsmamavbs member
    I used a changing Matt with both of my children and I would change them wherever they were when we were at home! We were planning on putting it on top of the dresser we had but in the end we couldn't be bothered and I had a section with my son so going all the way upstairs was quite difficult.

One really good thing about using a Matt on the floor, is if they like being naked and want a few minutes to kick their little legs around- you can relax a little and sit next to them. Because they're not high up you don't need to worry about them kicking themselves off when they're starting to be more active! It's a good way of saving money If it's tight :-)
  • We were given one second hand from a family friend (I didn't intend to buy one and thought it was a waste of time) and I was surprised by how much we used it. It was a storage area for all his changing things and it was really comfortable having him at waist height. We stopped using it at around 6 months because he was so wriggly so now we just put his mat on the floor or change him on a bed.
    Putting a change mat on a dresser (as PPs suggested) might be just as good though. I felt the main benefit of the table was the height, putting less strain on my back.
  • I changed my son wherever. Bed, floor (carpet), couch, in the car lol I like the dresser and changing pad idea because sometimes my back would hurt from bending all the time but there really isn't a need for a changing table
  • Jame414Jame414 member
    Like many pp, I used dresser with pad on it and used a drawer to store supplies.
  • MjsternMjstern member
    I love my changing table. We use it all the time. My daughter is 11 months and we still change there.
  • We had one that came with the crib, but honestly could only use it the 1st 3 months. He didn't fit in one after that. I usually ended up changing him on our bed or couch

This. We did use it a little longer (like 6mo) and I liked that it had drawers (which we still use) but I wouldn't say it's necessary. Also, we used the changing station that came part of our pack n play when he was an infant.

• MoRay05MoRay05 member
    We used a changing on a dresser. Make sure you secure it so it doesn't slide around (mine came with a small tab and screw to secure to the back of the dresser). We only had it on the dresser for about 9 months then moved it to the floor bc DD moved around too much.
  • I bought a crib with an attached changing table. I used it for about 6 mo then moved to the floor. My brother put her on it when he got her up for her second birthday part, she looked huge on it. We use it now for pajama storage and if she doesn't want a stuffed animal at night
  • We bought a shorter and long 6 drawer dresser and put a changing pad on it.

We did every diaper change on it. I'm not one to change in the living room. It grosses me out.
    It also saved our backs to not have to bend over as much.
  • CEB37CEB37 member
    I have a pad on the dresser. I keep one in the family room too and change on the floor during the day when we're out there.
  • I'm expecting number 4 and never felt a changing table was necessary. With #1 we had one that never was used. Save your money.
  • My mother told me I had to have one so I would not have to bend over all the time . I got one but only used it a couple times. DS never stayed still and I was always afraid he would fall off. Also DS room was on the 2nd floor and our main living space was on the first floor, I did not want to climb the stair for every diaper change.
    I ended up taking the pad off it and out basket on it so we could use it for toy storage.
    We usually just changed him on the floor. We were gifted extra diaper bags with the portable changing pads, so we kept a few stocked with all the diaper supplies in different rooms of the house.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are in camp put the pad on the dresser. We just made sure to get a dresser that was a certain height for comfort.
    We secured it using Velcro.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • My sister in law said get a normal dresser they can use forever. Once they start to roll you won't want to put them up there anyway and use carpet. I got a dresser that has a little lip/edge on sides and back. Figure that will work out well but can still look like a normal dresser after and put stuff on top.
  • Changing pad on dresser definitely...also, how old are you? Lol! My first 3 I was early 20s and never used mine. Plopped them down wherever I was...floor, couch, bed etc and changed them. Last 2 were my first csection and late 20s/early 30s. That sucker got used religiouly. I'm too old to be climbing around on the floor and furniture with a teeny one anymore. And too tired to chase them when they take off! Changing table helps with that :)
  • kwaldykwaldy member
    This is my first pregnancy so I won't be able to say how much I used it. But I probably wouldn't have bought one if it hadn't been included in a set I bought off a family friend for pretty cheap. Some people find it easier to just change baby on the floor.
  • Marchmellow2Marchmellow2 member
    edited May 2015
    I love my changing table! I still use it every time I change my 1 and half year old son. Mine was 2nd hand and I think that's the single piece of furniture I use the most.

ETA: I think a changing pad on a dresser is great idea. If my changing table wasn't free then I would've did that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cagey22cagey22 member
    We use a changing pad on the dresser upstairs in the nursery, but have a changing table downstairs.

The changing table is the one item that everyone told us we wouldn't need, so we didn't get one. Two weeks after little one was born, we picked one up from Craigslist and I love it - would not want to live without it and still use at one and a half years old.

We us it to store Diapers, wipes,creams etc and it's great having a designated 'station'. We also have tupper ware containers full of clothes for changing outfits. We spend very little time upstairs, so it has been brilliant to not have to go up and down stairs every time we need to change LO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Used the change pad on his dresser until about 8 months when he became to mobile. Then we started changing on the floor for safety :) And we still have a useful dresser and don't have to store a change table.
  • Change pad on the floor since day 1! Works like a charm. As long as you don't have any physical limitation that would prevent you from getting up and down then you're golden!
    I was terrified of her falling off a table so that's why we used the floor lol
    YCSWU
  • Thanks everyone for your input! I'm only 23 so I have no limitations on my movement (yet lol) I think I'm definitely going to go with the dresser and pad idea, my sister insists it's a bad idea (however she has a husband who bought her everything she needed ;) ) but I have no intentions of letting my new born flail around at a height like that so I think it's a great idea! Thanks again everyone x
  • I took both of the pads that they put under me at the hospital to use as changing pads.
    They worked marvelously. Now that we are potty training and out of diapers with my first we stick the pads under her at night just in case she has a "leak."
  • mag9812mag9812 member
    I'm a FTM but like others have said, we got a dresser that matched the crib and are planning to put a changing pad on top of it. It just seemed more practical and cost-effective since it's a piece of furniture our LO can use much after they are out of diapers.