August 2015 Moms
Options

help needed....

I know there are tons of posts about this but I don't feel like searching for them. My DH has recently started a new job and we will now be able to get a real good car seat for the baby. How do yall search for car seats and what do you use to determine what's best for you? I know safety is important but now a days car seats can't be on the market without passing safety standards. What specifically should I be looking for in choosing a car seat?

Re: help needed....

• Options
    Thj417Thj417 member
    I just searched reviews... My top choices Britax, Graco and Recaro. I had used my cousin's britax convertible so we upgraded to that for our first born. Also, look into reviews that mention how the seat fits in your car. I think babies r us will let you "try them on" - other stores might too?!
  • Options
    Britax gets great reviews, but they are SUPER pricey!!! Chicco gets good safety reviews and their travel systems are actually affordable. Graco's systems are hit or miss. Get the Baby Bargains book...it's like a consumer's report guide to all things baby....it's awesome for pricing and reviews of products.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree w pp that Baby Bargains is a great resource for car seat reviews and reviews on many other products

• Options
    Carseatforthelittles on facebook you tell them the car and price point and they will give you the best and safest car seat. Easy
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We have britax, more expensive than some... But cheeper than others as well lol. We love the system that goes with it, it's sooo easy to go from car seat to stroller. Strollers fold and unfold with one hand, which helps when you have baby and other things to manage. Plus great safety reviews.

If say research different brands for safety and price range you're willing to spend, then head to a babies r us or buy buy baby and get yours hands on them. Try getting them in and out of the base and stroller; put your purse in the seat to see how comfortable it would be to carry with actual baby weight in it, and go with the one that blends safety, price, and usability
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We use Graco for the infant seat/carrier and then Recaro for convertible and booster seats :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 30   DH: 32   
    TFAS since May 2013
    8/14 - Bloodwork showed heterozygous MTHFR gene mutation and elevated AMH (but no cysts)
    9/14 - HSG, Hysteroscopy and laparoscopy showed tubes clear, but found and removed Endometriosis, scar tissue and 2 small benign masses on my tubes.
    11/14 - Daily ultrasounds confirmed that my follicles are not releasing the egg and every other day blood draws showed very low progesterone... DH's SA was near perfect
    12/14 - moving onto meds!!! Hold up!!!  Surprise BFP after only taking the progesterone!  Now what do I do with all of the other meds we already paid for?!  Due at the end of August 2015 Beta#1- 4434 @ 22DPO  Beta#2 - 7335 @ 25DPO Beta #3 - 14429  @ 28DPO
  • Options
    My husband researched consumer reports and decided on the Graco travel system car seat/stroller.
  • Options
    gulimzgulimz member
    I got a uppababy bassinet/stroller, so now I'm waiting till mid June for the uppababy mesa car seat. It's good quality, safe, lightweight, and the fabric is machine washable!!!
  • Options
    gulimz said:

I got a uppababy bassinet/stroller, so now I'm waiting till mid June for the uppababy mesa car seat. It's good quality, safe, lightweight, and the fabric is machine washable!!!

I just heard that the Mesa been delayed again to mid July, which is cutting it close depending on when in August you're due :(. We were just talking about what to do about this last night!
  • Options
    gulimzgulimz member
    Really? Hmmm. That would be terrible! I preordered it and my ship date of 6/15 hasn't changed yet.. my due date is 8/13 , so if there is a delay, worse case scenario, I'll get the maxi cosi (which is another one that i really liked) as a back up and we can always put it in my hubby's or my mom's car. But that really upsets me if it's not out by the time she is =(
  • Options
    gulimzgulimz member

I know there are tons of posts about this but I don't feel like searching for them. My DH has recently started a new job and we will now be able to get a real good car seat for the baby. How do yall search for car seats and what do you use to determine what's best for you? I know safety is important but now a days car seats can't be on the market without passing safety standards. What specifically should I be looking for in choosing a car seat?

My husband did a lot of research on the Internet beyond just consumer reports (which only list graco, Chicco etc - all car seats are safe. . But Chico and graco aren't the greatest made ) . He did hours of you tube videos comparing one brand with another. We finally decided on a recaro travel system, uppababy, and buggaboo, - the people at buy buy baby helped us tremendously about reviews and the make of the material, and we wounded up going with the uppababy
  • Options
    gulimz said:

Really? Hmmm. That would be terrible! I preordered it and my ship date of 6/15 hasn't changed yet.. my due date is 8/13 , so if there is a delay, worse case scenario, I'll get the maxi cosi (which is another one that i really liked) as a back up and we can always put it in my hubby's or my mom's car. But that really upsets me if it's not out by the time she is =(

We just ordered ours from an Amazon seller last week, so hopefully you are higher on someone's wait list since you ordered earlier! They told us that Uppababy is releasing some in mid-June, but hasn't told them how many they'll get. They don't think they'll get more than 4, and there are 36 people on their pre-order list. There is supposed to be a bigger release between mid-July and mid-August that will cover all the pre-orders and be enough for general availability, so you're probably ok for 8/13 either way. I'm due 8/7, so we felt that would be cutting it a little close. They offered to substitute the Nuna Pipa with adapter, which is what I think we're going to do.
  • Options
    I have a 3.5 year old. We got a Britax marathon for him when he was born, straight to convertible. I like that the belts don't ever have to be rethreaded. I wish I would've bought a Diono for several reasons though, life span, size, etc. I will now be buying him a Diono and putting baby in the marathon. Logistically it is making the most sense to do it that way, then he can use the Diono hopefully until he is 8 or so and then baby can use it, etc.

I baby wear so having an infant seat was not a factor in my decision to purchase.

But in all honesty, car seats have to be safe to be sold in the U.S. It is 100% a personal choice on what you purchase.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We went with Britax travel system after a lot of research and polling our experienced friends.
  • Options
    My infant seat from DS is a graco so we will keep that. DS is currently in a britax. He's 3.5.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker