Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

My Story (a little long)

Last Thursday (5/14), I went to my 16 week checkup excited as I knew that my 20 week ultrasound was the next milestone. After my doctor could not find the heartbeat with the first Doppler she went to get another and I could sense that I needed to be prepared. She sent me over to the hospital to have an ultrasound done. The screen wasn't even facing me and the tech did not show me the screen so I figured the news was grim (we had a 10 week ultrasound and all was well there). My doctor called with the news that there was no heartbeat and that it appeared that the heartbeat likely stopped shortly after our first ultrasound. The on call Ob scheduled the D&C for the next day. I was given the option of doing the home route, but they figured I would need a D&C anyway due to it being 16 weeks.

Unfortunately, I gave my husband a pretty big scare during the procedure as I started bleeding and needed a uterine balloon type of device. Thankfully, I stopped bleeding and the balloon was able to come out the next morning. I spent the night in the hospital (the nurses were wonderful) and was greatful that I chose the D&C route. Doctor had told my husband that it could have been disastrous. The preliminary results indicate that I had a partial molar (half of the placenta was normal and half was molar). Had my first HCG check yesterday (5000 something), so it looks as if that is moving down based on some charts I found online.

The doctor thinks it was all a fluke. She said they'll just plan on doing two IVs right away and having blood on standby. She's not sure if the bleeding was due to it being partial molar or if there was something else that caused it. Said we could try now, but would prefer that we wait until the HCG level is zero. I'm 31 and we have a perfectly healthy 8 year old. My husband and I allowed life to delay us trying until last year for a second child (we were fine with one and then I started having second thoughts). I think I would like to give it a shot again, but maybe I am being stupid. It doesn't help that I had a previous c-section (no complications just couldn't progress) so my husband was already worried before this all happened. Sorry this is so long, just wanted to get this all out there.

Re: My Story (a little long)

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.  I also had a missed miscarriage, and know the feeling of going into an appointment thinking that everything was perfectly fine when it wasn't.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    I am sorry for your loss. Like you and @bntfroggie u went in thinking all was well after having had a good us at 9 weeks and baby had stopped growing shortly after that unbeknownst to me. We have a healthy 2 y.o. And I just turned 26 at the end if march. It is hard to grasp that it is just a fluke when you are otherwise healthy and you hear of people smoking and whatnot having healthy babies. It sucks but I pray we don't have to go through this pain again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss -- how heartbreaking to find out at a 16 wk ultrasound.  :(  However, I just want to say that you are definitely not stupid for wanting to try again.  Statistically, if you've only had one miscarriage, your odds of having another are the same as anyone else's, and if you've had a live birth in the past, your chances of a successful pregnancy are even higher.  So while this experience is horrible, awful, and traumatic, it doesn't mean that there is anything from a physical standpoint that would prevent you from being successful in the future! Sending you positive thoughts!
  • Options
    jess30jess30 member
    Thank you it helps to hear from others that have gone through this awful experience.