Babies on the Brain

To be serious about TTC or to not.....

Hey everyone, I'm new here.  Just wanting to share some of my thoughts....we are finally ready to start TTC and I'm somewhere between past ready to be prego and scared to death.  Also, I have a lot of things driving me to want to be ready and other things wanting me to wait before I start using ovulation tests next month.  I've only just stopped using BC, so this upcoming cycle will be my first off BC.  We have not used any protection or methods to try to prevent a pregnancy, but I've heard many people it takes a few months usually so I'm not expecting it.  I'm so ready for baby, but we have a few possible trips in the early Sept and maybe early Oct and I'm not 100% sure I want to be prego for those. On the other hand, I'm not getting any younger and neither is hubby. And I've already been waiting it feels like years for this to happen, to say I have baby fever is an understatement.....any advice from the group?  Thanks!

Re: To be serious about TTC or to not.....

• I TOTALLY understand your situation. We are on the fence about when to TTC. We finally agreed we want to, just can't decide when. I am getting off BC in 2 weeks and after that won't be using anything to prevent pregnancy either. We have trips and even a destination wedding to go to in Oct and Nov and are just not thrilled with the idea of traveling while I could be possibly pregnant (I get horribly sick for no reason all the time when we travel so that might make it worse) but we also don't want to wait too long. I am already older than I wanted to be to start and the hubby said after a certain age (coming up soon) he doesn't want to try.....completely at a loss for direction but I think at this point we might wing it and see what happens. After all when it does happen you kind of just have to roll with it!  :) Good luck and happy baby making!!!
  • Don't put your life on hold because you "could" be pregnant in the fall. It can take a healthy couple up to a year to conceive and you have a 20% chance each month.
  • Loading the player...
  • I understand the feeling of being nervous and not quite ready. There are a lot of things I love in my life that are 100% not pregnancy compatible. However, we know we want kids, so we just decided on a timeline and are going for it. I'll do all the normal things in my life until I'm PG.

As for travel, we're planning a vacation for next March, when I could be pregnant if it were to happen quickly. We'll also have a ton of weddings next summer that I could be pregnant for. I figure pregnant women travel all the time and I'll make it work and have fun. I do plan on getting travel insurance so I can cancel if I medically need to. Most travel insurance allows you to cancel for the mere reason of healthy pregnancy.
  • We tried for almost a year to have my first and planned a trip to Yellowstone. I thought it would be a conception vacation. I ended up prego 3 months before the trip but went anyway. I was so nervous about altitudes and such but it was fine. The geysers made me nauseous but otherwise it was ok. We skipped the canoe and horse riding though. Plans change but you can still travel and enjoy life while you are pregnant. Don't let that stop you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think you should wait until after your trips. Not that you can't have fun whilst pregnant but it might be a nice way to enjoy yourself before getting KU. It also seems like you are still processing the idea of it. A few months won't make a difference if you don't feel like you "need to get pregnant now!"

I felt like this last year (we were planning to TTC in Nov 2014). Just having the time to process and go on a trip or two meant that when we started TTC I was 100% ready (even while freaking out :)) )

Good luck!
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016