TTC After a Loss

How long did you wait after M/C before TTC?

My fiancé and I experienced a loss on April 15th 2015. We didn't wait as long as we were told and had sex on the 21st. Can this cause me to possibly have a M/C again? Or any abnormalities with the baby? We are very eager to start trying again. Are there any consequences to trying so earlier after a M/C?
I had a natural abortion. No scraping needed.

Re: How long did you wait after M/C before TTC?

• Unless your Dr has recommended you wait, I don't know if it is necessary to wait.
    Sorry for your loss and best of luck.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had a MMC just back in March. I underwent a D&C procedure on March 3rd, Dr told us no sex for 2 weeks to ensure that my cervix had time to close then they wanted me back in for a follow up exam at 6 weeks. I had my first AF after the procedure which started April 3rd, follow up on the 14th and Dr said we were clear to TTC. I was told to wait because of the D&C but with a natural mc unless your Dr tells you that you should wait I believe you're OK.

Just an example... My sister had a natural mc at around 5-6 weeks and got pregnant again on the next cycle. My nephew is now 4 years old and doing great. Ultimately, listen to your Dr. They will be able to give you a personalized answer based on your health and history that we don't know.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey thistle, sorry to hear about your loss. I was told to wait 4 weeks until I dtd again but that wad only because I had to have a stitch in my d and c. If not it would have been when the bleeding stopped and I was ready. As long as you feel emotionally ready to try again go for it there is no evidence that not waiting will cause another mc. Good luck x
  • My dr told me to wait for 3 months or three cycles before trying, otherwise the chance of having another MC might be high.
  • My doctor told me I don't have any higher of a risk for miscarriage if I try again right away then I did before. I had a natural mc at 6 weeks on Easter at my 2 week follow up he said I can try again right away. We are currently ttc now
  • Hey thistle, sorry to hear about your loss. I was told to wait 4 weeks until I dtd again but that wad only because I had to have a stitch in my d and c. If not it would have been when the bleeding stopped and I was ready. As long as you feel emotionally ready to try again go for it there is no evidence that not waiting will cause another mc. Good luck x

This is false.  
  • I'm so sorry for your loss.

You need to follow your doctors advice to wait after a miscarriage. Having sex before your cervix has closed puts you at risk for infection.

There are many mixed emotions that are up and down following a mc. As someone more than 7 months out from a loss please believe me when I say there will be highs and lows that you cannot be prepared for until they happen.
  • DrthVdr said:

I had a MMC just back in March. I underwent a D&C procedure on March 3rd, Dr told us no sex for 2 weeks to ensure that my cervix had time to close then they wanted me back in for a follow up exam at 6 weeks. I had my first AF after the procedure which started April 3rd, follow up on the 14th and Dr said we were clear to TTC. I was told to wait because of the D&C but with a natural mc unless your Dr tells you that you should wait I believe you're OK.

Just an example... My sister had a natural mc at around 5-6 weeks and got pregnant again on the next cycle. My nephew is now 4 years old and doing great. Ultimately, listen to your Dr. They will be able to give you a personalized answer based on your health and history that we don't know.

But her doctor DID say to wait.  

One example doesn't prove anything, but good story bro.  
    I never said one example proved anything. My advice is to listen to your doctor. Giving one example of a successful pregnancy after a natural mc doesn't PROVE that everyone will have one any more than someone having a second mc proves the opposite.

If you actually read what I said then you will see that I said "unless your doctor tells you to wait" which implies listen to your doctor. I did not say that she would be OK just because my sister was. The example was given to show that you aren't automatically doomed for not waiting, not to say that you shouldn't do what your doctor says. My sister wasn't told that she needed to wait, however.

Didn't think I needed to explain simple logic but thanks for trying to denounce what I said because you didn't understand it.
  • DrthVdr said:

I had a MMC just back in March. I underwent a D&C procedure on March 3rd, Dr told us no sex for 2 weeks to ensure that my cervix had time to close then they wanted me back in for a follow up exam at 6 weeks. I had my first AF after the procedure which started April 3rd, follow up on the 14th and Dr said we were clear to TTC. I was told to wait because of the D&C but with a natural mc unless your Dr tells you that you should wait I believe you're OK.

I never said one example proved anything. My advice is to listen to your doctor. Giving one example of a successful pregnancy after a natural mc doesn't PROVE that everyone will have one any more than someone having a second mc proves the opposite.

If you actually read what I said then you will see that I said "unless your doctor tells you to wait" which implies listen to your doctor. I did not say that she would be OK just because my sister was. The example was given to show that you aren't automatically doomed for not waiting, not to say that you shouldn't do what your doctor says. My sister wasn't told that she needed to wait, however.

Didn't think I needed to explain simple logic but thanks for trying to denounce what I said because you didn't understand it.

BFP#1: 03/05/14 | EDD: 11/11/14 | MC: 04/10/14 | D&C 05/01/14 [Molar]
    BFP#2: 10/15/14 | EDD: 06/25/14 | MC: 12/02/14 | D&C 12/04/14 [MMC]
    Current Status: RE appt 01/20/15 & Cleared to TTC
    Plan: Baby Aspirin, More (raw) folate, PNP, Iron, diet
    DX: MTHFR hetero C677T, ANA+ Homogeneous, Anemia. Ige sensitivities: gluten, egg, dairy
    All AL Welcome<3
    “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”
    We will never forgot our angels<3

• Whats a "Natural Abortion"? A D&C, pill, or letting nature run its course? 
  • Whats a "Natural Abortion"? A D&C, pill, or letting nature run its course? 

The medical term for "natural miscarriage" is a "spontaneous abortion" maybe that it's what you are thinking of? I personally don't like the term because an abortion has such negative connotations.
  • DrthVdrDrthVdr member

DrthVdr said:

I get your point.  I just don't like to encourage irresponsible and unsafe behavior in any way.  
  • We weren't told to wait, but we conceived again after our loss and it was Unfortunately a blighted ovum. Whatever your doctor says is usually best and its always good to give your body time to heal.
    M & B
    miscarriage - September 2012 @ 9 weeks
    blighted ovum - November 2012
    BFP!!! - July 2015
    Amelia, my sweet little rainbow baby born March 4, 2016
  • Give your body and heart time to heal! And please, follow your doctor's orders. Your doctor is a medical professional and probably has good reason to advise you to wait a certain amount of time.

Good luck TTC again when the time is right and recommended!
  • The advice that most physicians give is opinion based on experience. Many Drs are experts in their fields but there is no reason that getting a second opinion is a bad or il advised idea. (Choose your second opinion wisely) but please don't blindly listen to your doctor. You know your body and while they make recommendations they are not black and white directives. If you are uncomfortable talking with your dr maybe you should find another one.

My dr gives a blanket 3 cycle instruction however with further inquisition she says she likes for people to wait but is less firm. (Knowing when to schedule your first appointment is a primary reason for wanting people to wait)

My husband is a physician and we begun reading many studies so we can be better informed and have decided to start right away. MC was 5/3.
  • The advice that most physicians give is opinion based on experience. Many Drs are experts in their fields but there is no reason that getting a second opinion is a bad or il advised says. (Choose your second opinion wisely) but please don't blindly listen to your doctor. You know your body and while they make recommendations they are not black and white directives. If you are uncomfortable talking with your dr maybe you should find another one.

My dr gives a blanket 3 cycle instruction however with further inquisition she says she likes for people to wait but is less firm. (Knowing when to schedule your first appointment is a primary reason for wanting people to wait)

My husband is a physician and we begun reading many studies so we can be better informed and have decided to start right away. MC was 5/3.

Getting a second opinion isn't a bad thing but getting that second opinion from a bunch of internet strangers who know nothing about you and your circumstances is NOT a smart idea. The internet doesn't know what is going on with your body and if it is medically safe for you individually to try again, hence the outpouring of advice to listen to your doctor. Please don't encourage people to ignore what their doctor says based off of internet research.
  • @KadzoKimbia does Dr Google have your medical history and the ability to determine your specific circumstances? Before you attack my opinion (because you happen to disagree) take into consideration that you contradicted everyone on the thread who said she should listen to her doctor by saying not to. And you recommended that she get a second opinion, which she did... From internet strangers who know nothing about her circumstances or medical history. I wasn't disagreeing with you that she get another opinion if she felt her doctor might not be giving her the best care. I was simply reenforcing the fact that a board full of strangers is not a replacement for a medical professional. Google makes people paranoid for no reason because symptoms of different conditions can be very similar. For example, abdominal cramping could be anything from gas and indigestion to a burst appendix. Or worse. Does a computer know what is wrong with you? Do a bunch of strangers on the internet know that? No. But your doctor, who has access to your medical history, that can examine you personally will be able to give you a much more reliable answer. Encouraging someone not to listen to their doctor is like telling someone to take a blind leap off a cliff. It might me a high cliff or just a short drop but you don't know. They could be perfectly fine but they could also die. I know that example is a bit extreme but the point is that you don't know what you don't know.
  • Never said not to listen to her dr. But too many people only listen to their dr without doing their own due diligence. There are a number of studies that have been done very recently that state conceiving directly after a natural full miscarriage does not increase chances for another. Google is not where these are found. She could have also been asking a 'group of Internet strangers' where she could get another opinion. Or mearly asking for personal experiences which you seem to have a hard time grasping.

The best thing someone can do is go to their dr armed with as much knowledge they can. Only then can an individual make the best decisions for themselves with the guidance and clarification of that information from their dr.

What if no one who had stomach cramps ever went to the dr? A lot more people would die of the burst appendix. But thanks to our access to information people are living longer and catching potentially deadly illnesses at a much higher rate.
  • My doc told me to have sex when I was ready and I didn't have to wait any allotment of time. She said that with the technology they have using measurements, they can tell how far along women are.
  • The use of the word "scraping" in the OP makes me cringe. PTSD from D&C, much? Just saying...
  • My Dr told me that if you didn't technically miss a period, like I did then there is no medical reason to wait a certain amount of time. Its what's known as a chemical pregnancy. Your body produces the hormone because you did in fact conceive but it just did not plant into the unterine lining.