Dads & Dads-to-be

How should a single dad handle his daughter's first period?

Hey I am dad of two girls. 10 and 3. Today my second oldest  daughter Catherine got her first period. I haven't had to deal with  this with my oldest yet. I haven't actually seen her yet I am about to leave work to get her. She had her period in the middle of class and  sounded embarrassed on the phone. She is certainly not going to open up to me about this.  What do I do? What do I say? If you were a young girl what would you need? I know these are childish questions but maybe I am a little scared and could use any advice. Ok I wrote this in a panic. Any advice appreciated. Wish me luck.

Re: How should a single dad handle his daughter's first period?

• Thanks in advance!
  • I'm just lurking. I assume she knows about periods and sex and that stuff?
    If so, then it's more the embarrassment that she'll need a bit of support and maybe space over, if she feels like the whole class knows or if she leaked onto her clothes.

Do You have a stock of sanitary supplies? I'd get a few different things for her: Tampons with and without applicators (they can be tricky to get the hang of and can feel uncomfortable at first attempt, and with and without applicator becomes a personal preference) Let her to know to take her time with them and try them out when/if she feels ready. I didn't try them out until my 2nd or 3rd period.

Pads. Gets some thin ones she can wear during the day that feel discreet (with wings is best it helps keep them in place), and some thicker ones for night. 

Then maybe another time a week or so after her period ends, ask her if she preferred any of the options so that you can stock up on her preference. (her period might not get regular for some time, so it's best just to have them on hand and she can have supplies in her school bag)
    You don't mention if her Mum is on the scene, or if she has an auntie around that she could turn to for advice, but if it's just you and the girls, then she needs to know that you're relaxed about it, that it's just part of life, and that her needing sanitary supplies is no more exciting than buying toilet paper, just something you need.  So also ask if she needs you to try and find a product that is better in some way (thicker or thinner pads, pads that are longer so that she doesn't leak out the back when sleeping, or more absorbant tampons or whatever she needs) 

She is going to leak at some point. It happens. It might be on her underwear or her bedding. Let her know that it's life and that it happens to the best of us. Putting the stain straight into cold water, will help stopping it set, and make it easier to remove.

Also see if she has any cramps, and get good at making hot water bottles (my Dad was awesome at it).

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but really just give her a cuddle and let her know you love her and that it's all terribly terribly normal.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • Actually just had another thought, a spare pair of underwear and a discreet little purse she can keep that and sanitary supplies in the bottom of her school bag might be a good idea to help her feel like she has what she needs if she gets caught out at school again, but that it's private and discreet that no one else has to know.

And if you don't already have a convenient rubbish bin in the toilet, get one so that she can discreetly dispose of pads and what have you.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Wow, this is incredibly helpful. Thank you @KateLouise!
  • KaLikeAWindKaLikeAWind member
    edited April 2015
    2 days late on this, but what the PP said is top notch advice. Agree on all counts and can't think of a thing to add.
    ETA - way to go single dad. I'm sure you handled this with grace
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know this is a little late, however I use cloth pads and sea sponge tampons and a mooncup. I know it's unusual, but it's just one of the many options out there. I like it because of the lack of chemicals, the fact that it's eco-friendly and the fact that I never run out or get caught out without enough supplies. Even if you're not ready for the 100% eco-friendly and reusable options, and that may be a lot for a 10 year old, the Bac-out stain treatment that Gladrags sells is awesome for getting blood out of everything and the Lunapanties that Lunapads sell are great period panties to wear when you're expecting your period so it doesn't bleed through when you get it and are incredibly comfortable, unlike going around with liners stuck in your panties all the time. You can't even tell the difference between them and regular panties, and if you get the extra pads to put in they're something you can roll up in your purse all the time for a just in case. They do make them in teen and tween sizes, so those would be good for your daughter to have so she's confident that she can avoid embarassment in the future.