Infertility

Number of cycles and supplements

Hi all,
We will begin IVF in August, giving me 3 months to prep my body by eating healthy, taking supplements, and acupuncture. Our doctor has recommend going with the two cycle program. My husband thinks the doctors tells everyone that. He just wants to know why so we will talk to the doctor again for an explanation. Just curious if Bumpies here went with ATTAIN upfront or took a chance and went for 1 cycle?

I was also reading about DHEA and I asked the doctor and she said she does not recommend taking it...she said there is no harm taking it but likely no benefits. Thoughts?
Me: 37 / Hubs: 42
TTC: April 2013
DOR: AMH .3 - 1.31 (it varies); FSH: 5.1
Clinic NMCSD
IUI #1 July/Aug 2016
IVF #1 Sep/Oct Microdose Lupron Protocol - IVF cancelled only 1 follicle
IVF #2 Feb/Mar Antagonist protocol w/estrogen priming - 0 eggs retrieved (empty follicle syndrome) 
Donor Egg Cycle as soon as we find a match

Re: Number of cycles and supplements

• jnissajnissa member
    Actually, DHEA without careful monitoring *can* have negative side effects. It is a pretty powerful androgen, which is a male hormone. So if your dosage is wrong for you it can throw off hormone balances in the body altogether. It *does* have positive outcomes for the number of IVF follicles and *good* eggs retrieved. But you need to be very careful with how much you're taking and be prepared for the types of side effects are similar to anybody with too much androgen (acne, hair growth in non desirable places), etc. My RE actually recommends it since the benefits are supported by science but "recommends it with caution and perhaps not the first time." I didn't use it on my first cycle and likely won't this time. But I did use the following supplements:

- Coenzyme Q10 - also recommended by my RE and supported by science. it's an antioxidant that helps strengthen follicle walls for better retrieval results
    - Vitamin C and Fish Oil - during my first cycle I was working full time and my diet wasn't as good so I supplemented omegas and vitamin c. I'm home full time now and not doing this for my second cycle.
    - Calcium, folic, b+ - I just took these because I'm not able to take prenatals because of the iron. 
    - I also reduced caffeine and drank more red wine than hard liquor

The two cycle thing is not a marketing ploy, I promise. Your RE is really running the stats that most couples take more than one cycle to be successful. Many of the women on this board have done multiple cycles. We didn't do a two cycle package because we had already saved enough money to pay for up to 3 cycles at full price, but if not we likely would have. I know 3 or 4 people who got lucky on their first cycle, but I know double that amount who needed multiple cycles. The truth of the matter is that in some cases there's an element of the first cycle being diagnostic. You can pick the protocol that seems best for you, but to a certain degree how your body responds the first time may be a better indicator of the best protocol for you moving forward. Honestly, the way I would look at it is, "Would you rather lose less money if you don't need the second cycle or spend more money if you do?"If it's not a financial issue, then there's no need for the two cycle package. But if you're really playing the odds/statistics you're probably ahead of the game with two.
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• mandasdmandasd member
    @jnissa - all the supplements that you mention I am also taking. And, if I was to think about it logically (it is hard you know), following the doctor's advice is best. I don't want to take anything that is not recommended, so I don't think I'll try the DHEA. I have been reading more about it and even though it is recommended with those with DOR, new studies are saying it can do more harm than good for those with DOR.

We have enough saved to do 3 cycles as well. However, I am curious from a financial standpoint, why couples would choose to do ATTAIN over paying for each cycle individually? We don't get the military discount if we do ATTAIN, on the high side, one cycle would be $21k and 2 cycles ATTAIN is $27k. I know we are guaranteed 25% off Ganirelix and Pregnyl with the First Steps program (automatic 25% off for military). I know we will not qualify for the additional discounts based on our income.

I feel like we should do the PGS (if something comes back from bloodwork) or the PGD. With our age, I want to get the best chances.

Me: 37 / Hubs: 42
    TTC: April 2013
    DOR: AMH .3 - 1.31 (it varies); FSH: 5.1
    Clinic NMCSD
    IUI #1 July/Aug 2016
    IVF #1 Sep/Oct Microdose Lupron Protocol - IVF cancelled only 1 follicle
    IVF #2 Feb/Mar Antagonist protocol w/estrogen priming - 0 eggs retrieved (empty follicle syndrome) 
    Donor Egg Cycle as soon as we find a match
  • Loading the player...
  • Cin2014Cin2014 member
    edited May 2015
    Hello,

My husband and I started IVF and my doctor has me on birth control, DHEA 25mg, baby aspirin 81mg and prenatal vitamins until I start with my hormone shots in about 3 weeks. I decided to change my diet so I could be healthier for myself and baby for when the time comes!

If you don’t feel comfortable taking DHEA, start with prenatal vitamins and baby aspirin 81mg. I also added the following to my diet since they help boosting fertility.

Good Luck with everything!!

Lentils and Beans
    These plant-based proteins are high in fiber and B vitamin, and are also a good source of folate and iron. If you choose a canned variety, check that it’s free of BPA, a chemical that can negatively affect your estrogen levels. To get the full benefits, aim for at least two meals per week.

Eggs
    The crown jewel to any TTC diet, organic eggs are packed with a high concentrate of vitamins and minerals, along with amino acids like choline, which improves follicle quality. Like folate, it helps prevent neural tube birth defects and aids in brain development. And don’t forget to keep the yolk—that’s where the good stuff is.

Walnuts
    All nuts have their benefits, but they’re not all created equal. Walnuts are high in fiber and one of the only vegetarian foods that contain omega-3. Plus, they’re filled with magnesium, which helps produce progesterone and increase blood supply to the uterus, helping with fertility. Magnesium can also ease morning sickness symptoms that women typically face in the first trimester. Like most nuts they’re high in calories, so limit your daily intake.

Salmon
    Wild salmon is a great protein alternative to meat and poultry. The fatty fish is one of the best sources of omega-3 and DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid), which is really important for fetal brain and eye development. Overweight and obese women are particularly DHA-deficient, so it’s
    a good nutrient to load up on before getting pregnant. Just keep in mind, while salmon isn’t a fish with high mercury levels, there can still be trace amounts, so you should limit your intake to 12 ounces per week.

Greek Yogurt
    You probably thought sticking to low-fat dairy is the healthier choice, but that’s not the case when you’re trying to boost your fertility. Luckily, it only takes one daily serving of full-fat dairy to improve fertility odds, so grab a container of Greek yogurt for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Not only does it contain more calcium than milk, but it’s packed full of probiotics and two to three times more protein than a cup of regular yogurt. It’s also a good source of vitamin D, which helps the follicles
    in your ovaries mature, and it strengthens bones and boosts immunity. Not a yogurt fan? Aim for 1,000 mg of calcium daily, whether it’s through a cup of full-fat milk, one ounce of cheese or another source of dairy. Just don’t take this as a cue to eat a bowl of ice cream every night (as tempting as it may be)—too much full-fat dairy will increase your saturated fat intake, and end up
    hurting your fertility.

Quinoa
    You should aim for at least 50 percent of your daily grain intake to come from whole grains, and this gluten-free carb takes it a step further as a great source of protein, folate and zinc. Plus, it’s high in fiber, which can help with constipation, especially around your period. Swapping animal-based proteins for plant-based ones like quinoa helps increase
    your odds for conception, says nutrition expert Hillary Wright. Since the complex carbs help stabilize your blood sugar and regulate your cycle, it makes it easier to determine your peak fertile days.

Avocados
    Another great way to get your daily dose of folate is through avocados. The green, skinned fruit contains vitamin K, which helps your body effectively absorb nutrients while maintaining hormonal balance. It’s also high in potassium, a key to regulating blood pressure. Okay,
    avocados aren’t exactly low-cal, but they’re mostly made up of monounsaturated fats (that’s the good kind), so one a day is fine. Typically it’s best to buy organic fruits and vegetables, but you can save a few bucks here since the thick skin makes it hard for pesticides to seep in, says nutritionist Kim Ross. A great way to eat it: Spread one-third of an avocado on multigrain toast and drizzle with olive oil, another known fertility booster. It contains a high
    concentrate of vitamin E, which is known to stabilize and protect cells from oxidative damage, a plus for women with PCOS or diabetes.

Leafy Greens
    Eating dark green veggies like spinach, kale and Swiss chard is one of the best ways to take in essential prenatal nutrients like calcium, iron (especially important when you’re menstruating) and folate, which also protects against birth defects in the brain and spine that can develop in the first few weeks of pregnancy. Since it can take a few weeks to
    even know you’re pregnant, it’s important to load up on plenty of folate while you’re TTC. Most women don’t get enough from their diet though, so the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends taking a daily vitamin with folic acid (the synthetic version of folate) to reach the suggested 400 mcg dose.

Citrus Fruits
    Not only are oranges, grapefruits and other citrus fruits one of the best sources for vitamin C, they’re also packed with potassium, calcium and folate—a B vitamin that can help you get pregnant by regulating ovulation and creating a healthy environment for eggs. You should aim for at least one serving of citrus fruit each day (try a medium-size grapefruit, a large orange, three clementines or one kiwi) in addition to another serving of fruits.

Berries
    Blueberries and raspberries are loaded with natural antioxidants and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients, which help boost both female and male fertility. Like citrus, they’re high in folate and vitamin C, which can help with fetal development down the road. Berries are also a good source of fiber and can aid weight loss (women at a healthier weight tend to
    have less trouble conceiving), so aim for at least one cup a day.