December 2015 Moms

Worst baby names

In my last bmb we had a thread where we posted the craziest baby names we came across. 

I'll start...anything with a - in the middle that's supposed to be said Dash. Like "L-a" being pronounced as Ladasha.

Re: Worst baby names

• So one of my best friends works in pediatrics at a hospital that serves a poorer part of her community and she has shared some of the first names she's come across, and some really are that crazy. No, it's not orangjello but definitely some weird stuff.

August '18 March Siggy Challenge - You had ONE JOB

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • CMDDCMDD member
    DH delivers a lot of babies with out there names. I'll ask him to remind me of some... Whenever he gets to leave the hospital :p
  • lalg28lalg28 member
    I'm with just saying no to unique names. Several of them I hear now sound more like something I'd name my dog, not my kid. Poor children.
  • My husband just told me that a Facebook friend just called their kid Wonton. I mean really?
  • Elizabella85Elizabella85 member
    edited May 2015
    I personally dislike themed names for siblings. I have one friend from high school who was the sweetest, loveliest person....but I think she was a bit mean to her offspring. Hunter, Trapper, Willow and Ranger. Fine on their own, but all together they're a bit much!!! And she's not the only one I know who's done something like that, so it must be popular in some areas, but man!

Also when people pick first names to go with last names in a goofy way. My mom went to school with a girl named Christy. Everyone thought her real name was Christine because that's what she told people. However in high school people found out that her real name was actually Christmas....her last name was Carroll. Apparently she was born in December and her parents thought it was funny and somehow appropriate. Mom found her through their high school reunion FB page. She legally changed her first and last name when she got married.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Giving a child middle names like "helicopter".
  • I work at a university and some of the names that I see are ridiculous! How are they going to be taken seriously at a job interview? I also don't like crazy original spellings for names. When dealing with those students they always have to repeat the spelling and that must get annoying for them. 
    Due 11.16.17
    Baby Girl 12.9.15
    MC 2.1.15 @ 5 W - Chemical
    MC 4.7.14 @ 21 W - Turners Syndrome

• Diezel is probably the worst I've heard for a boy name so far.... What do some people think when naming their HUMAN children.... This isn't a dog sweetie. That name will be on applications one day..

Nevaeh is another I just CANT.. I can't. It's overused and ridiculous.
  • bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited May 2015

@bbiutmcph it may have been caused by the urban legend but I work at an inner city school and we've had a "la-a, we've had a abcde (pronounced absidee), we've had a kid pronounced asholee spelled ashole and we've had a kid pronounced shitheyid spelled shithead so they can't be that legend- and it's not someone that knows someone that knows someone they are in our school system in the last 10 years- we have strange ones like "phantay'sia, angelikalashara, acacia (pronounced asayseea) I could go on the list of strange names is endless after so many years in the system

I am sure you have encountered several unusual names however a simple google search will bring up a bazillion people claiming they swear they know people with these names (shithead, la-a)  ABCDE was actually on a news report report recently, so perhaps you do work in that school.  HOwever if all these people claiming they know these people were actually true they would be on record for the SS names, we would all actually know someone with them and they would be everywhere.  All the people who swear they know these people also say it's because they work in inner city or poor areas, again which just is the same from the original racial stereotype stories.  THe internet is FULL of people claiming they know they but again no one has ever provided proof they exist but lots of urban legend, snoops etc have investigated and stated not true.  

edit you should probably change your screen name to not your full email 

• bbiutmcph said:

@bbiutmcph it may have been caused by the urban legend but I work at an inner city school and we've had a "la-a, we've had a abcde (pronounced absidee), we've had a kid pronounced asholee spelled ashole and we've had a kid pronounced shitheyid spelled shithead so they can't be that legend- and it's not someone that knows someone that knows someone they are in our school system in the last 10 years- we have strange ones like "phantay'sia, angelikalashara, acacia (pronounced asayseea) I could go on the list of strange names is endless after so many years in the system

I am sure you have encountered several unusual names however a simple google search will bring up a bazillion people claiming they swear they know people with these names (shithead, la-a)  ABCDE was actually on a news report report recently, so perhaps you do work in that school.  HOwever if all these people claiming they know these people were actually true they would be on record for the SS names, we would all actually know someone with them and they would be everywhere.  All the people who swear they know these people also say it's because they work in inner city or poor areas, again which just is the same from the original racial stereotype stories.  THe internet is FULL of people claiming they know they but again no one has ever provided proof they exist but lots of urban legend, snoops etc have investigated and stated not true.  

edit you should probably change your screen name to not your full email 
    Any name that is used 5 or more times in a year is recorded by the SSA. You can search for them. La-a does not show up in these searches. 

Abcde was used 11 times in 2014. It has been recorded every year (meaning at least 5 kids have been named that) since 1997.
    Ladasha, spelled as such first showed up in 1978. from 1986 - 2006 it had a streak, the highest amount of kids named it was 30 in 1996. It has not been recorded since 2010. 

Now if only people could stop sharing the OMG I totally know a La-a, and using that as a reason why littl Raelynn and Navy are totally acceptable names, maybe we'd have little less head shaking in the world.
  • CMDDCMDD member
    I've never actually seen Neveah but i would LOL at someone telling me they chose that as their child's name.
  • CMDDCMDD member
    navy. yes. this is making my day better.
  • My name is unique and I didn't like it when I was a kid cause it was always mispronounced. But I do love it now and I wouldn't change for the world. My name is Marchelle. (Like Michelle with a mar)

I dislike when people misuse C names and use a K instead. Or just misspelling names so they are more unique. Gets me every time. Just leave the original spelling please!!! Why make things harder for LO?

I also agree with giving your kids a name that won't get their resume banned from first glance. People judge by the name on resumes all the time!

• @Marchmellow2 I think your username is super clever :)
  • CMDDCMDD member
    i used to work with kids in a residential treatment center... names like Destiny, Precious, and some that reminded me of shapes like Octavia.
  • @Marchmellow2 I think your username is super clever :)

Thank you :x

• Marchmellow2Marchmellow2 member
    edited May 2015
    CMDD said:

i used to work with kids in a residential treatment center... names like Destiny, Precious, and some that reminded me of shapes like Octavia.

Those are stripper names! Plain and simple. Well not Octavia but Precious and Destiny? Total stripper names

Ps. there is nothing wrong with being an exotic dancer. IMO just wanted to clear that up.

• fioripfiorip member
    And another name I've seen among Hispanic parents is Daimond, inspired by diamond.
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited May 2015

@bbiutmcph I'm sorry you are so distrusting of those people on the web. Nothing I'm going to say is going to change your mind, but I will say that if you don't actually work in an inner city school, you shouldn't really talk about what's racial profiling and what's not. My job is no cake walk and I deal with many issues. If you think I'm lying, I'm sorry you can't trust others. On a side note, I have no idea how to change it, I've tried many times- and that's not my real email anymore so no worries

Thanks for assuming I don't know anything about inner city.  IN fact I live in one and have for the last 10 years.  Believe me I know how hard people actually have it and quite a bit about different cultures.  And you are right I don't believe a large majority of what is on the internet because a lot of it in fact bullcrap.  There is a lot of great things too, it all depends on what you use as credible and I like hard facts. .  @wassuphoes pointed out la-a has never been recorded, others (ladasha) sadly have but it's very very small in use.  

• Marchmellow2Marchmellow2 member
    edited May 2015
  • I have a friend that named her kids Hunter and Emerald... with the last name Greene. 

Another friend named her daughter Trendy Chanel. As a teenager she overheard someone call their daughter "Trinity" and thought they said "Trendy," and said ever since that would be her daughter's name. We thought her husband would veto that name... but I guess he didn't.
  • My cousin is a teacher in Detroit, two kids in her class are named DizYooneek Bush, and M'N*****(I don't need to finish typing that one, you can figure it out.) I wish I were kidding, but both are totes for real their legal names.
  • CMDDCMDD member
    Embuzz247 said:

My cousin is a teacher in Detroit, two kids in her class are named DizYooneek Bush, and M'N*****(I don't need to finish typing that one, you can figure it out.) I wish I were kidding, but both are totes for real their legal names.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • CMDDCMDD member

I'm worried this thread is going to turn left quickly- between names folks don't like that may be common in some communities to phrases like "in the inner city, I see a lot of..."

There is a thin, thin line between innate bias and prejudice, let's all walk the line carefully.

So I'm just going to be extra ridiculous and say I don't like names. If we all just went by numbers and shapes there'd be no problem.

- Square 8675309

i thought about that when starting this group. should they leave out where they have come across these names? What do you think of the name that @embuzz247 just mentioned?
  • CMDD said:

I'm worried this thread is going to turn left quickly- between names folks don't like that may be common in some communities to phrases like "in the inner city, I see a lot of..."

There is a thin, thin line between innate bias and prejudice, let's all walk the line carefully.

So I'm just going to be extra ridiculous and say I don't like names. If we all just went by numbers and shapes there'd be no problem.

- Square 8675309

i thought about that when starting this group. should they leave out where they have come across these names? What do you think of the name that @embuzz247 just mentioned?
    Sadly, I think someone is going to just walk the wrong side of the line. Even well meaning people can't prevent prejudice from showing. Then all Bump hell will break loose. Then someone is going to try and brush it off with a gif party. And I wish I was being funny.