2nd Trimester

Short cervix

I'll be 22 weeks tomorrow. Found out a week ago that my cervix was 2cm so they told me to take progesterone suppositories and get it checked every 2 weeks until 36 weeks. Yesterday it was 0.9cm. So scared I'm going to lose my baby girl. We were supposed to go on our baby moon on Thursday (2 days from now) but decided to cancel our trip last night. So disappointed, so scared of what might happen. I work in a hospital, long days on my feet plus a hellish commute. They said nothing about bedrest. I am counting the days until 25 weeks and viability. I'm scared to start the nursery or buy any more baby stuff because I don't know what is going to happen.
Anybody else going through this? I had a LEEP procedure 14 years ago, when I was 20. Maybe that weakened my cervix? This is my first pregnancy.

Re: Short cervix

• I am truly shocked that you are still working, and that your doctors aren't taking a better care of you. Shouldn't they give you an emergency cerclage immediately? Please do take this seriously and yell at them if needed. 0.9 cm is EXTREMELY short at this stage. And bedrest does help and is very needed in your situation. My cervix got only 2.3 cm short - and I was told not to walk for more than 15 minutes per day, and not to spend more than 20 minutes standing or even sitting upright. I had a cerclage as well (which totally helped - now my cervix stays at 4 cm and I don't even have to be so careful anymore (I'm 31 weeks now).

Are you being seen by a high risk doctor? That's what you need, and you need it right now. 
    Me: 41; DH: 49
    Married in 2010. 
    Laparoscopy for endometriosis - July 2010.
    BFP#1: Jan 2011; MMC March 2011
    BFP#2: Nov 2011; Blighted Ovum December 2011
    Diagnosed with high FSH and DOR - January 2012
    BFP#3: (Gonal-F, Trigger + TI) - May 2012; DD born Jan 2013 (c-section because of partial placental abruption)

December 2013: FSH 27, AMH < 0.03
    A few medicated TI cycles in 2014.
    BFP#4: (Gonal-F, Trigger +TI) - Nov 2014; DS born July 2015

• Thank you for your concern! I saw my obgyn yesterday and cried and begged her to let me have the next 3 weeks off work so I could make it to 25 weeks (viability) at least. We'll check in then but I'll probably go back to work (maybe modified hours?)
    I have an appt with the perinatologist today. I think because I'm so early still they aren't as into interventions? Or maybe just because it's kaiser? I have no idea.
    The doctor was opposed to bedrest but there is a difference between bedrest and 12 hours on your feet at stressful job and I'm glad I was assertive and got what I needed.
    So awesome you made it to 31 weeks! Anything past 30 would be such a blessing to me! Or maybe I'll go all the way to term with super short cervix, it's so hard to know!!! Right now it's just a wait and see and hope for the best...
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so glad you talked to your ob/gyn.... Please do take a good care of yourself now! Better exaggerate with that bedrest than cause more problems....  But I also hope this other doctor will recommend more action... Even 25 weeks isn't that safe yet - those babies so often have health problems later in life. I know it isn't easy - I am just lucky because I work online, so being on bedrest wasn't an issue at all...

Gosh, I do hope all will go well for you!

And yeah, I hope I am wrong, but my feeling is that it could be because it's keiser... for some it seems to be all about money, and it's so scary to me! (and I heard about very many women having their cerclages even later in their pregnancies!)

Me: 41; DH: 49
    Married in 2010. 
    Laparoscopy for endometriosis - July 2010.
    BFP#1: Jan 2011; MMC March 2011
    BFP#2: Nov 2011; Blighted Ovum December 2011
    Diagnosed with high FSH and DOR - January 2012
    BFP#3: (Gonal-F, Trigger + TI) - May 2012; DD born Jan 2013 (c-section because of partial placental abruption)

December 2013: FSH 27, AMH < 0.03
    A few medicated TI cycles in 2014.
    BFP#4: (Gonal-F, Trigger +TI) - Nov 2014; DS born July 2015