March 2015 Moms
Options

Clicky- How often do you sterilize?

beatlesgal4beatlesgal4 member
edited May 2015 in March 2015 Moms
Happy Monday! Sitting here pumping in an empty office at work, I started thinking about all the bottles in my sink needing to be cleaned. I'm curious as to how often you sterilize bottles, pump parts, or whatever you have (if applicable). I know they say once a day, but I'm curious? Also, if you have a routine you like or a trick for making it faster or easier (ex: microwave sterilization bags, etc.), I'd love to hear about it! Thanks in advance!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Clicky- How often do you sterilize? 83 votes

I don't sterilize
25% 21 votes
Once a day
25% 21 votes
Several times a week
8% 7 votes
Once a week
22% 19 votes
Less than once a week
13% 11 votes
Special snowflake- explain in the comments
3% 3 votes
I just like to click on things
1% 1 vote

Re: Clicky- How often do you sterilize?

• Options
    Here's what I do right now: I soak everything in hot, soapy water and wash it all with a soapy brush/warm water after that. This is daily. Now, being totally honest, since I started back up at work, I only sterilize once a week on the weekend; however, this last weekend was so busy, I just didn't get to it. I do a combo of boiling and microwaving with the steam bags at the same time so that it takes less time, but it still feels like it takes forever! I feel guilty about it, but it just doesn't make it to the top of my priority list. Just how bad is it to not sterilize as much as is recommended??
  • Options
    Not officially back to work yet, but for now I've been pumping every day, sometimes twice a day. I soak the parts and in soapy water right after pumping, then I use the Munchkin brand microwave sterilizer, which works great! It fits all the parts plus two storage bottles (or one feeding bottle). I put all the bottles in the dishwasher and just sterilize them as they come out, then store them with covers on until needed. It seems to work for me. I assume once I start work, I'll probably clean and sterilize the parts when I get home so they'll be ready for the next day. That way I hopefully won't forget to store the milk from the day, too. I usually don't sterilize every day, but I think with pumping a few times at work I'll probably feel more inclined to wash everything right away.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I sterilize pump parts once a day in the microwave bag after washing them in hot soapy water. I exclusively pump so in between pumps I store the pump parts in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator- then wash and sterilize once a day.
  • Options
    I started off with the intention of sterilizing everything every day, however it's been 8 weeks since my daughter has been born and I've only sterilized twice. Bottles have never left the house and she's only taken the bottle a handful of times, so I don't feel that bad. I do think once I start pumping at work, I might sterilize about once a week.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    For SuzyQ and all the M15 losses

• Options
    I wash bottles with soapy hot water after use and about once a week I boil my bottle pieces in a giant pot for about three minutes. That's one thing I'll say for breastfeeding-- it was WAY less maintenance.
  • Options
    I said special snowflake because I sterilize them if they're new, or if they're particularly dirty due to me leaving the dishes sit for too long. This baby is mostly breastfed, so has only had a couple bottles while I'm away, but with my DD, I only recall sanitizing bottles once or twice.
  • Options
    Mic512Mic512 member
    I sterilize once a week & wash with hot soapy water in between. I exclusively pump but also have a busy 4 year old so sterilizing more is not realistic.
  • Options
    @AGM0616 I'll have to check out the Munchkin sterilizer! I've been using Medela, and there isn't much that will (or should) fit at a time.

My goal is to get everything cleaned right after work, and it usually works that way, but just in case LO is fussy that evening, I keep one set of pump parts in the fridge so I have an "emergency" backup. That is a rare case though.
  • Options
    Pump parts and bottles washed in hot soapy water after every use but time to sterilize is hard to find even with the steam bags (I have the medela ones so not much fits) would use dishwasher more but it takes hours and I only have 3 bottles and one set of pump parts so it's not realistic so I voted less than once a week in case I don't get to do it and my husband just won't lol. Did boil everything before first use though
  • Options
    I sterilize in the morning sometimes and always at night
  • Options

@AGM0616 I'll have to check out the Munchkin sterilizer! I've been using Medela, and there isn't much that will (or should) fit at a time.

My goal is to get everything cleaned right after work, and it usually works that way, but just in case LO is fussy that evening, I keep one set of pump parts in the fridge so I have an "emergency" backup. That is a rare case though.

Yeah, the Munchkin is a life saver! I would hate to have to boil everything! But to have a spare set for pumping sounds like a good idea.
  • Options
    I don't sterilize them much by boiling. Usually just wash them with hot soapy water. I only have 2 bottles this time I felt like there were to many with my daughter. So I decided I would only use 2 this time.