December 2014 Moms
Options

Rolling over trouble

jbird1222jbird1222 member
edited May 2015 in December 2014 Moms
DS is having a harder time rolling from his belly to back. He can do it, but he always puts his arm down by his side and then tries to roll over his arm. It looks very uncomfortable and much harder than just rolling from his elbows. I keep trying to correct him but he still does it!

Edited because I didn't proof read....

Re: Rolling over trouble

• Options
    That is what mine did too. She was still able to roll over even though her arm was trapped under her. Eventually she did it. It will happen when u least expect it. And your cutie will make it look like it was a piece of cake.
  • Options
    stejjystejjy member
    My little dude seems to have forgotten how to roll from his tummy to back, since he learnt back to tummy. Apparently it's common when they're learning a new skill, then they will just suddenly "get" it and there's no stopping them!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    WulfgarWulfgar member
    My LO is still not too interested in rolling over yet.  She is getting close to crawling at times though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My baby is just over 5 months and he's accidentally rolled from belly to back many times and once from back to belly a month ago. But he doesn't know he can do it and cries when he's placed on his belly. I'll probably ask the pedi about it if he hasn't learned by our 6 month checkup.
  • Options
    diz1313diz1313 member
    Our girl are just awkward trying to roll in general. They seem to just get all of their limbs in their way. Ha!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    abcmom12abcmom12 member
    edited May 2015

"At 5 months your baby will probably be able to lift his head, push up on his arms, and arch his back to lift his chest off the ground. He may even rock on his stomach, kick his legs, and swim with his arms. All these exercises help him develop the muscles he needs to roll over in both directions – likely by the time he's about 6 months old."

Don't freak out yet.  My DD apparently rolls often at daycare but hardly at home with me unless she does it by accident.  She does scoot across the floor on her back with her feet like crazy and rotates herself this way instead.  Attempts and any movement or arching is a positive sign.

Remember, don't judge your baby's development by others!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    My DS just rolled over from belly to back for the first time today "on purpose" with some prompting with a toy over his head. He has yet to roll from back to belly... but he didn't get much tummy time up until last month because he despised it! He's going to be 23 weeks tomorrow... pedi said just to keep working on it and lots of tummy time. She rolls him very easily while he's on his back by taking one leg and crossing it over the other, he tends to follow and pop up. To get the reverse, while on his tummy, she tucked one arm across (under) his chest and gently pulled so that the rest flopped over. Hoping he gets it on his own soon!