Postpartum Depression
Options

Mental disorders and pregnancy

I am 12 weeks ftm. I have bipolar disorder. Was wondering if anyone else already had pre existing mental conditions before pregnancy even began. Did you stay on your medication? I did.

Re: Mental disorders and pregnancy

• Options
    You absolutely need to tell your psychiatrist that you are expecting. Some mood stabilizers are contraindicated in pregnancy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have bipolar and some other mental disorders. I was diagnosed in August of last year and with the support of my husband in last november I was able to stop all meds I was on just in time we got pregnant in december. Some days are more challenging than others. But I really believe in having a drug free pregnancy and my husband and psychiatrist agree. Although I wont be breastfeeding cause of family lactose problems when our little one is due in October so I prob go back on them after the birth just to keep my moods in order and lower the chance of post partrumdepression. Which im terrified of.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started a private group concerning this topic:

https://forums.thebump.com/group/641-mental-illness-and-pregnant-bfing-or-ttc

If anyone is interested in joining I welcome you to request an invite. This is a private group so anything discussed within the group can only be seen by other members of the group :)