Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Fashion or function for your baby's play mat?

We live in a small house so our padded play mat is in the living room on show for all guests to see. Instead of the classic rainbow colored, or teddy bear motif play mat, is there any harm in getting something more modern/design friendly that is easy on the eye for adults and goes well with our furniture? After all, this is pretty much replacing our living room rug.

Are we going to impede our babies development if we got something with a chevron pattern, or something modern looking?

Is anyone else in the same boat here with fashion or function?

Re: Fashion or function for your baby's play mat?

• We live in a small house so our padded play mat is in the living room on show for all guests to see. Instead of the classic rainbow colored, or teddy bear motif play mat, is there any harm in getting something more modern/design friendly that is easy on the eye for adults and goes well with our furniture? After all, this is pretty much replacing our living room rug.

Are we going to impede our babies development if we got something with a chevron pattern, or something modern looking?

Is anyone else in the same boat here with fashion or function?

Ok, I'm really not trying to be mean but are you serious with this post? More specifically, the bolded question. Please tell me you aren't actually thinking about this are you?

You are totally overthinking this AND this is something that only you can decide. It's your house, buy whatever you want.

• I agree, overthinking. Mostly because I didn't know there were specified play mats. Get a rug, throw a baby blanket down during the day. Pick it up in the evening. Boom, problem solved.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ours is in the middle of the living room as well! This is what I went with. Not super trendy but not rainbows and letters either. I got it from the sports section at Walmart.
  • VMRRN23VMRRN23 member
    You should get whatever pleases you. With my first we used a play gym, then just a blanket once he was older and crawling ( he would spit up on it everyday, so it got washed frequently). We actually used the north gates super yard with 2 extension panels so it was a big square.
    With our 7 month old who is army crawling, I still using a blanket on the rug , but I planned on getting a picnic waterproof blanket ( so the spot up doesn't soak through to my rug). I also have those foam abc mats, but I don't care for the look and would put a blanket on anyway so the spit up doesn't get through the seams. One step ahead had the foam mats that look like wood flooring.
    You'll use the baby gym the first few months anyway, and they can be bright colored. I don't think it really would effect development what you chose.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just discovered the little floor mats that you can take outside! ( I know they can pretty much all go outside but this one has a plastic bottom to keep moisture away :)   ) SO it folds up and tucks away. quick and easy clean up if you are expecting company. We are not trendy people so we for sure just have it out in the living room at all times!
  • Thanks for the responses. I think play mat manufacturer marketing had got to us, laying the guilt down that bright colors, pictures etc were needed for our baby's development. We'll proceed with the play mat that looks good in our living room!

Can anyone recommend any play mats that are padded, wipe clean, and have a nice modern design for the living room?

I like the idea of a baby blanket on the rug but doesn't it slip / bunch up? 
  • jdanczykjdanczyk member
    edited May 2015
    This is the one we have: Infantino Twist & Fold It is lightly padded (more so than others) and very easy to set up/take down.  It wipes clean easily & also goes in the wash easily.  I personally think it's got a nice design to it but also contains the colors/patterns intriguing to little ones.
    imageimageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker