July 2015 Moms

4 in 1 cribs, how much did you spend?

Im just curious as to how much money you ladies spent on a crib?  We really wanted a 4 in 1 crib so it would last him until he's 18, so we don't mind spending a little more because of this.  We went to Buy Buy Baby last night to look around and fell in love with one that is $700!  There was another one there that we also like which was $400, but we liked the $700 one so much more!  I'm feeling guilty though spending that much money on a bed, but then again with this bed we won't have to be bothered spending money on another bed ever as it will last until he's 18 or even longer.  And of course we will use one of their 20% off coupons, and with that coupon it will come to $560.  What are your thoughts on this?  Should we spend the money on the one we love?  Or go for the cheaper one, that will most likely serve the same exact purpose.  Decisions decisions...

Re: 4 in 1 cribs, how much did you spend?

• Make sure to find out if the 4-in-1 you love needs an additional rail to buy to convert it to a full-size bed or not. We have a Graco we bought for $125 in 2010 and one of the reasons I love it is because there's no extra parts to turn it into a bed. You just attach the back part to the head of a full-size (or maybe it's twin?) frame, and the front part to the foot of one.

I have several friends who have bought lifetime cribs but then when they're ready for it to be a full-sized bed they need rails that can no longer be purchased from the manufacturer. So IF you need rails, I'd plan on buying them now and storing them.

Also another thing to think of is bedroom style/tastes. Like will the bed grow even if you get new or different dressers or something? When your child is 14 or 15 will their bedroom furniture still be the same/coordinate? Just some thoughts...
    Mama to two crazy kiddos
    J -- 9/04
    L -- 11/10
    E -- 7/15

• hwood5hwood5 member
    I spent $300. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Ours cost $189. We bought the Stork Craft Tuscany off Amazon. It has great reviews.
  • $200 from BRU. I got $200 off of it. It's not the one I wanted but very few options around here.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• NYMominCA said:

Make sure to find out if the 4-in-1 you love needs an additional rail to buy to convert it to a full-size bed or not. We have a Graco we bought for $125 in 2010 and one of the reasons I love it is because there's no extra parts to turn it into a bed. You just attach the back part to the head of a full-size (or maybe it's twin?) frame, and the front part to the foot of one.

I have several friends who have bought lifetime cribs but then when they're ready for it to be a full-sized bed they need rails that can no longer be purchased from the manufacturer. So IF you need rails, I'd plan on buying them now and storing them.

Also another thing to think of is bedroom style/tastes. Like will the bed grow even if you get new or different dressers or something? When your child is 14 or 15 will their bedroom furniture still be the same/coordinate? Just some thoughts...

All of this. We spent $400 on the crib (but it was a gift), and it has all of the conversion pieces to go up to a toddler bed. I can't remember how much the conversion kit was; we didn't get one because we have a set of bed rails already that are compatible with the frame to take it all the way up to a full size.

Also, do you plan on having more children? Will you want to upgrade the older child to a different bed and then reuse the crib for a second child? This crib will likely be the full-size bed of our final child, and the others will get their own beds as the new arrivals come along. We're hoping to get more than 18 years out of it. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 170 at target!
  • We got the Babyletto Skip crib - it's a 3 in 1 not 4 in 1, so it stops at the toddler bed. Ours was $330. 
  • Got the davenport by babyappleseed from BuyBuyBaby.  It was expensive, but we got it as a gift from my parents :).  When we purchased it, it came with all the "other parts" to convert it.  I was not expecting everything to come with it, cause I thought you had to buy those separate.  The crib and dresser both feel very sturdy and that they can actually last until they are 18 :)
  • We bought a Graco crib from Target in 2012 for our DD and it has worked great for us for $199. Same as PP said, it doesn't need additional rails or anything to convert.
  • gmk1784gmk1784 member
    We got the delta haven 4-in-1 crib from target. It was $200 when we bought it but I did see it was down to $185 recently
  • So glad you posted this!

I have the Sorelle Yorkshire 4 in 1 crib from BRU It was $250 w/o the conversion parts which I figured couldn't be much more and this was a steal...
    just looked today
    Toddler conversion set-$100
    Full size bed conversion set-$200
    Pricing the whole bed at $550

If the crib you're looking at doesn't come with all the parts be smarter than me and see how much you will actually end up spending

Siiiiighhhhhhh :-<
  • $499 Verona 4 in 1. FTM thank god someone purchased it because I could NEVER afford that! lol
  • We bought the graco Lauren for all three of our kids it's a 4-1 and just uses a full size frame once it's time. We love that it was great for the budget and we have loved everything about them.
  • $500 for the crib, $100 for the toddler conversion, & $200 for the full size conversion at BRU. It's solid hard wood though so I think totally worth it especially if you consider the years of use.
  • qtjo5qtjo5 member
    If you plan to use a bed frame for 18 years, you should not go cheap on it.
  • mrsnalamrsnala member
    One tip I will add as a STM, dont waste the money on the toddler kit. the front of the crib comes off, and if you are really concerned that they will fall out (tho its not far at all to the bottom), you can buy one of those single bed rails they sell at Target/Walmart/etc. for ~$25

• I spent 400 on mine. I didn't wanna go to much more cause you never know the older they get how tough they will be with a bed an you have to get a new one. I don't plan on keeping mine til she's 18 but maybe a few years
  • WSatisfiedPWSatisfiedP member
    edited May 2015
    We bought an excellent condition babi italia crib and matching dresser for 350$ on craigslist.  It came with the toddler rail.  About a 1100$ set at babies r us.  Looks brand new and didn't break the bank!
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• We spent $800 on a convertible crib. If it's good quality that they will have until they go to college, why not get the best you can afford? We bought all pottery barn kids furniture so that it's the only time we buy furniture.