Trouble TTC

HSG question

Hi everyone!
I'm kind of new here, just starting to get investigated after a little over a year of TTC.
I'll be scheduling my HSG in the next week or so and I was just wondering how long the procedure took and thoughts on how painful it really is. The prep sheet says some people may need to take1/2 a day or a whole day off work afterwards and I was wondering if I should expect to have to take off work that day, or if it should be okay to return to work right afterwards.

Thanks in advance!

Re: HSG question

• tiffk10tiffk10 member
    I think everyone is different. Mine was pretty quick, maybe 20 minutes. I thought it was painful, and my tubes were open. I've heard that it can be more uncomfortable if they find blockages. I scheduled mine for the afternoon so I didn't feel the need to go straight back to work. I probably could have if I had needed to, but I'm glad that I was able to go relax at home afterwards.

Me (26) Him (27)
    Dx PCOS November 2010
    21 cycles TTC
    HSG April 2015 - all clear!
    May 2015 - 5 mg Femara cycle days 3-7 BFN
    June 2015 - 7.5 mg Femara cycle days 3-7 BFN
  • dbrandodbrando member
    Hello @graphicgranite!

I had my HSG done about a month and 1/2 ago.. It was not too bad. I have a tipped uterus so it made the procedure a bit uncomfortable, but I can't really complain of any 'real' pain. The entire procedure was about 15 to 20 minutes for me as well. I had taken some pain meds about an hour to ha half hour before the actual procedure. I think you'll be fine.. just try and relax during and take slow deep breaths! Best of luck to you!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hello
    My was about 30 minutes. I took some ibuprofen before I went, and I think that helped alot. It was uncomfortable for me, but not very painful, but they did not find any blockages. I spotted the rest of the days as well. I would have been able to go back to work, but DH and I took the day off together.  I had mild menstrual like cramping that day. 
    Me: 24  DH: 25
    Married 2010
    TTC #1
    PCOS
  • Hi there!
    I had my HSG done in January and I had a reasonably unpainful experience. My RE told me that if you tend to have painful cramps during your period that you will likely have more pain during your HSG. My cramps are usually pretty mild, so for me it was more discomfort that I felt than actual pain. I didn't even take a pain killer. I went straight from the HSG to work. I am a high school teacher, though, so I don't do much physical work. The cramps lasted for maybe a couple of hours and I had some very mild spotting for about two days. Good luck!
  • I had mine last week and also took Advil before I went in. What made it painful for me was the fact that the dye didn't go in the first time and she had to start over. It took about 20 min and only experienced mild cramping that evening. But I would recommend taking something for the pain an hour or so before going in. Hope all goes well.
  • I got one at the end of January. I agree with everybody else it was about 15-20 minutes after getting checked in at the front desk. I didn't really have any pain or cramping, but my tubes didn't end up being blocked. I could have gone back to work afterwards, but a movie day at home with the hubby sounded much better :)
  • Hi again, just wanted to say thanks for the tips, I had my hsg yesterday and it was a little painful but very quick. I took Aleve beforehand and I'm sure that helped. Thanks again!
  • Thanks for all the advice. I have to have one next week and I was getting scared.
  • woodrachwoodrach member
    edited June 2015
    New here. What is an HSG?
  • woodrach said:
    New here. What is an HSG?
    It's a special kind of ultrasound where they inject dye into your uterus to check for blocked tubes and other structural anomalies.

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Hsg really depends on the person and the condition of your tubes. I just had one done a bout 2 weeks ago and I did take 800mg ibuprofen 1hr before but quite honestly I don't think it helped. The experience was quite uncomfortable especially since I had the RE, the radiologist ,a med student and my husband in the room. The process was about 30 mins. The worst part for me when when the dye was injected I felt extreme pain on my right side, then I later found out that it was partially blocked, hopefully that's not the case for you
    Married 03.30.12
    TTC Since September 2011

Me: 27  DH: 28, 
    Dx: PCOS/Block right Fallopian tube
    Treatment: clomid.

• I've been TTC for two years now but have not yet gone in for any testing. My obgyn said she could schedule the basic tests....is this one of them? My insurance does not cover any infertility treatment which is one reason I haven't done any testing.
  • smd1225 said:
    I've been TTC for two years now but have not yet gone in for any testing. My obgyn said she could schedule the basic tests....is this one of them? My insurance does not cover any infertility treatment which is one reason I haven't done any testing.
    Yes, you definitely need an HSG, an SA for your husband, an ultrasound to get your AFC (on day 3 of your cycle), bloodwork to get your AMH,  bloodwork 7 days after ovulation (if you ovulate) for progesterone, plus more bloodwork to check thyroid, A1C, etc

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc