LGBT Parenting
Options

Share what made you choose your donor

We wanted someone who was Scandinavian, athletic, well rounded, had red hair or reddish hair, blue eyes and was tall.

We totally agreed right away on our donor. He fit the bill completely. I liked him because he was so sweet on the audio interview. Some guys seemed a little cocky but he was totally genuine and sounded so sweet and a little shy (like my wife.)

What made you pick a donor?

Re: Share what made you choose your donor

• Options
    We started out by eliminating CMV+ donors (I'm negative), then selected A+ blood type (both my wife and I are A+). That narrowed down the field quite a bit. From there, we looked for blue eyes and dark hair (similar to my wife - although these weren't musts, we had to start somewhere!). After that, we just started wading through. Pretty soon, we found someone who likes trivia and baseball (two of our favorite hobbies) and whose birthday was the same as one of my favorite great aunts. Bonus: Jewish ancestry (again, not a must, but a positive for sure). Just yesterday my wife was looking back at the longer profile and said "wow, this guy is really an extrovert!" - we're both more on the introverted side, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.
  • Options
    KLake42KLake42 member
    We had to screen out CMV positive, and also focused on profiles with negative blood types (I'm O neg).  That really narrowed things down!  We didn't expect to find someone with naturally blond hair and blue eyes (like my wife), but we started there, and found a guy who has French ancestry (like her), and is artistic (like her), and athletic-- neither of us are really athletic, but we love hiking and and kayaking and outdoor adventuring, and we value how fitness can make it easier to get out in the world and do things, so that seemed like an advantage.

Then we listened to the audio interview, and both fell out laughing at how much he's like my wife!  She's creative and ADD, and this guy's conversation was very much "I'm really love playing my guitar, and wow I love hanging with my creative friends, and blah blah blah SQUIRREL!!"

I don't mean to discount how ADD can lead to struggles in school, but some of my favorite people in the world are diagnosed ADD, including my wife, and I love how their brains work.  I always have.  This guy didn't have a diagnosis on his profile and maybe doesn't actually meet the criteria, but he does seem to have the high energy, charm-the-world, bright-eyed spirit that both matches my wife, and makes for a good balance to my quiet, low key, introspective nature.

Also, his baby picture showed kind of a big nose, and my wife also has a prominent French profile!  His baby pictures included a ten-year-old-ish photo, and he had a confident, charming smile.  In the audio interview, he was definitely flirting hard with the interviewer (who was giggling and flirting back), so I'm going to presume he managed to keep that charming grin as he grew.

So, based on his profile, he's really similar to my wife, and seems to have qualities that would make a good balance to me (active and extroverted, where I'm not).  That could make for a wild child, but I love the idea of a confident and happy kid!
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    2brides2brides member
    We chose based on DP's coloring (blond/blue) with a clean bill of health (both for himself and his family.) We switched donors 3x over our 9 cycles.

In the end we ended up with a light brown haired kid with brown eyes and a light brown haired kid with green eyes. ;)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We narrowed the search by looking for someone with similar looks (light brown hair and green eyes) and ethnic background (German) as my wife.  It didn't hurt that he was a lawyer who enjoyed surfing and had "celebrity good looks. :-P  I put one of his kid pics next to one of my wife and we were shocked at the resemblance. :-) Can't wait to meet this baby (or babies)!
  • Options
    We initially searched for RH- blood types (I'm carrying and am O-) but struggled to find a donor we liked all of the characteristics of that was also RH-.
    Because my first two children had positive blood types (I had Rhogam shots through my pregnancies) we decided that was not a deal breaker for us.
    We wanted a donor with Scandinavian genes, interest in arts (preferable) and intelligent. Healthy family history.
    Ultimately decided on a donor who is 6"2, blonde hair, blue eyes, artistic, healthy and a PhD in medical research.
    Got pregnant after our first insemination :)