September 2015 Moms
Options

Must-have reading?

I just finished "Expecting Better" by Emily Oster and "What to Expect When You're Expecting". Both were filled with pretty sound, practical advice. "What To Expect.." was more comprehensive but I'm not sure if it's anything you couldn't get through internet searches or "The Bump" website. "Expecting Better" went into more detail about certain supposed "fallacies" in OB/GYN medicine- good food for thought for the intellectual who likes to have hard evidence before making decisions.

As a FTM who tends to over-prepare by reading every book, magazine, or research study she can get her hands on, I was wondering if you resourceful ladies (and gentlemen if you are out there?) care to share any "must have" books or other resources about anything pregnancy or parenting related? I'd love to know what empowered or inspired you the most...

Thanks in advance!

Re: Must-have reading?

• Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    Oh my I have a big list but let me think off the top of my head as I'm in bed and all my books are downstairs.

-Pushed by Jennifer Block
    -Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin (she has a couple other titles too)
    -The Thinking Woman's Guide to Better Birth (I think author is Henci Goer)
    -Penny Simkin has a couple books
    -Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake
    -Michel Odent has some but haven't read them

I'm sure there's more but these are books I tend to turn to that I can think of in my sleepy state. I'm not a fan of What to Expect. I'll check out Expecting Better. That sounds up my alley just from the title alone.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have just finished "The best friends guide to pregnancy" it was quite informative and funny. It was much lighter than some of the other books I have read and gave an honest "friends" opinion and all the icky details :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    On Immunity by Eula Biss
  • Options
    Whole-brain child. Great book on how to teach lessons versus just get through the day. Lots of science behind emotions, learning, and memory. Only halfway through but would definetly recommend. I've highlighted so many pages.
  • Options
    kehagskehags member
    I've just started Whole Brain Child too @Knottie30725733 & am liking it so far.

I second Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. Also The Birth Partner (pretty sure that's Penny Simkin) Mindful Birthing & I just started Birthing From Within, which comes highly recommended but so far seems a little too hippie dippy, even for me.

I also love the Birth Without Fear blog.
  • Options
    I second @kehags Mindful Birthing, I love that book.

Also one of my momma friends was raving about Baby Meets World: Suck, Smile, Touch, Toddle: A Journey Through Infancy. I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet but it's on my list!
  • Options
    I re-read a pregnancy book: You Having a Baby, by Roizen and Oz

Mostly I like to read parenting books birth is a great milestone but parenting lasts a lot longer! :-) I have read a lot, but these are the ones I keep on my Kindle, will refer back to, and have probably influenced my parenting - and compassion for other parents the most!

The 5 Love Languages of Children, by Chapman

The Attachment Parenting Book, by Sears

Attached at the Heart: 8 proven parenting principles for raising connected and compassionate children, by Nicholson
  • Options
    @verveine407 I love the original The Five Love Languages by Chapman!! I have loaned that book out countless times and always get it back quickly, because they couldn't put it down! I had no idea they had a children's version! Thank you!
  • Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    LoveLee85 said:

@verveine407 I love the original The Five Love Languages by Chapman!! I have loaned that book out countless times and always get it back quickly, because they couldn't put it down! I had no idea they had a children's version! Thank you!

You can take the quiz online too! Sometimes kids express all five so quickly it can be difficult to narrow down their main love language. So check out the quiz online. There's one for adults too (but I figured mine out pretty quick lol! Quizzes are still fun).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The children's one is great! My DD1 is, of course, a little like me and a little like DH and a whole lot like herself. I love being able to love her on her own terms! I make sure to express my affection for her in all languages but wow it feels great when I see her light up because she really "gets" that I love spending time with her. :-)
  • Options
    The Happiest Baby on the Block, Harvey Karp (sp?)
    Mayo Clinic's Baby's First Year (really practical information month by month about the new baby)
    Bringing Up Bebe (it's more of a memoir, but still a good read)
    Babywise (read the book, but not any of the crazy websites out there)
    Your Baby and Child, by Penelope Leach

• Options
    To help you decide on baby items, Baby Bargains(the purple 2015 edition) is a good resource to use.
  • Options
    29jmicks said:

To help you decide on baby items, Baby Bargains(the purple 2015 edition) is a good resource to use.

@29jmicks does it just have all the store items, but says the best bang for your buck, type stuff?!
  • Options
    lisahe1lisahe1 member
    edited May 2015
    Jenny McCarthy's book about pregnancy (the name escapes me) is a must read. Straight talk and absolutely hilarious!! My girlfriends have passed it around amongst ourselves.

The Mayo Clinic Guide to Pregnancy

Babywise

I have others on my Kindle, I'll check and edit this to add them later. :)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Keep them coming!
  • Options
    Brain Rules for Baby - by John Medina

It has awesome information on baby's developing brain. Happy reading!
  • Options
    @dksandall I got that book for my partner since it's right up his alley and he's been really getting into it!
  • Options
    Husband Coached Child birth by Dr. Robert Bradley was a game changer for us. It's a little old school as he was doing most of his work in the 50's - 70's but we ended up taking the Bradley Method birth classes after reading the book and feel so much more prepared and informed about the birth process. His entire premise is a natural childbirth that brings the couple closer together as a culmination of their love.
  • Options
    Yes, it has store products as well as brands dealing with babies and pregnancy. It is broken down by different brands and their ratings. It does have suggestions for "best bang for your buck." I also used online ratings, but I found the book quite comparable to online ratings. A lot of my colleagues suggested the book to help compare different brands of a particular product. I think it's a good reference tool for first time moms who have no clue where to start with their registry.
  • Options
    If you plan on doing any baby sign language, I read and practiced the signs in "baby sign language basics" or another baby sign language book so i could start with her early.  Signing really helped her communicate her needs and now, as a toddler, we have fewer of the typical "toddler meltdowns" because she can't communicate what she wants/needs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Jenny McCarthys book Belly Laughs is a fun, humorous read. :)
  • Options
    If you are planning on breastfeeding, a book like "the breastfeeding answer book" is good to read ahead of time and have as a reference for afterward.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I second the sign language book and breast feeding book. This list is a good idea since there are so many things that I have forgotten!