High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Type 1 diabetic mummy's

hi I have now been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes although my last two pregnancys I was type 2 , I am having a few hypos and days were my levels are hight ect

Re: Type 1 diabetic mummy's

• Options
    Are you over correcting from your highs? I have been dropping lots lately (16 weeks), and then BAM, this morning I was 19!!! I feel so guilty for letting that happen. I really wanted to get that number down so my sugars will probably go low before 9 today!
  • Options
    what is your A1Cs, im 7w4d and was 9 3 months ago but will be checking in may again!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been having lows a lot more often in the first 13 wks of my pregnancy.  It is my understanding that it is common and it is in the second and third trimester that the hormones really start working against the insulin.  Try to find a really good endo and a nutritionist if you can to help you through this pregnancy.  I have found mine to be incredibly important resources. Our bodies are changing dramatically and quickly and they have a good understanding of this with their medical background.
  • Options
    kedbachkedbach member
    I've been diabetic since 12 years old, so I have a pretty good handle on mine! Pregnancy is tricky! It either works in your favor, or doesn't. Mine, fortunately, has been great. First trimester my a1c was 6.4, this week it was checked and it was 6.0! I'm like wow, I need to be pregnant all the time! I do know, the further along you get, the more resistant your body will become to the insulin, you will begin to require more. Are you carb counting in order to take the correct bolus of insulin? And are you only on short-acting insulin, or long-acting as well? Carb counting really helps. I'm on an insulin pump, so it's easier. The key to good control is checking frequently. I am checking around 8 times a day, sometimes a little less, sometimes more. Definitely do not go more than 3 hours without checking, especially if you cannot feel the lows easily.
  • Options
    kedbachkedbach member
    Hi all, I created a Diabetic group, please join- it will make this easier!
  • Options
    Type 1 for 20 years, second pregnancy in 12 years! Definitely had forgotten what a roller coaster this was! Insulin resistance went straight through the roof in the first few weeks and now is leveling off and I'm getting all the lows...as low as 30 the other night...and that was after my first glass of juice!
    My dietician helped me tremendously! Made me feel much better than the dr! Told me that even though the dr thinks 60 is an appropriate level during pregnancy, that most of the time, 60 just isn't realistic for a type 1...too easy to drop off the cliff x