Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Third Hand Smoke

Anybody ever heard of it? Believe in it?

Re: Third Hand Smoke

• Are you serious? It's not something to "believe in". It's an actual thing and there have been studies/articles about it.

https://www2.aap.org/richmondcenter/DangerFromThirdhandSmoke.html

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/third-hand-smoke/faq-20057791

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/tobaccocancer/secondhand-smoke

The cancer.org article says that the effects of third hand smoke are still being studied, and it's certainly not as dangerous as second-hand smoke but it still poses a threat.

• Very real thing. My mom smokes and it clings to every surface. Every item.

We got a dresser from her and had to clean it throughly and air our for sometime.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Very real. My boyfriend used to smoke inside, and when I got pregnant and we bought a house, I wouldn't allow any of the furniture to come with us. I banned his habit from everywhere but outside, his vehicle just now (almost a year later) starting to not reek and I can feel safe putting our son in it. 
  • Very real. My boyfriend used to smoke inside, and when I got pregnant and we bought a house, I wouldn't allow any of the furniture to come with us. I banned his habit from everywhere but outside, his vehicle just now (almost a year later) starting to not reek and I can feel safe putting our son in it. 

You do realize it's still on his body & clothes though, right?

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • When leaving the hospital after my son was born, the nurses instructed us to not even let anyone hold the baby that had previously been smoking before changing clothes. My mom is a smoker so we have had to ask her to change before holding him. Kind of awkward but it's our job to protect the little ones :)
  • Sorry I offended you. From what I've seen is that there is very limited data on it. I don't like it. I get so mad about smoking. My in-laws smoke and its annoying me, especially since its successfully messed up my MIL's health and she refuses to quit. My daughter had woke up sick the day after they left town from visiting. We told them they couldn't smoke around her and we hope they listened, but they wanted a day to be alone with her. Part of the time they were outside and I wonder if they slipped. She had bronchiolitis and I read to see what exactly that is and one of the causes is being around cigarette smoke. So I am hoping they respected our wishes, and maybe third hand smoke is the culprit.
  • @racheld924 we just went through the same thing with my in-laws :( talk about awkward when you tell them they have to change their clothes before they can hold the baby!
  • Sorry I offended you. From what I've seen is that there is very limited data on it. I don't like it. I get so mad about smoking. My in-laws smoke and its annoying me, especially since its successfully messed up my MIL's health and she refuses to quit. My daughter had woke up sick the day after they left town from visiting. We told them they couldn't smoke around her and we hope they listened, but they wanted a day to be alone with her. Part of the time they were outside and I wonder if they slipped. She had bronchiolitis and I read to see what exactly that is and one of the causes is being around cigarette smoke. So I am hoping they respected our wishes, and maybe third hand smoke is the culprit.

There is limited data on it but any smoke, regardless of second hand, third hand, whatever...COULD have negative effects.

I know it annoys you that your MIL smokes but you have to keep in mind that it's an AWFUL addiction and most people that smoke know it's bad for them, but it's really hard to quit. Even when someone does quit, the urge NEVER goes away.

This is your child so if you are worried or concerned they aren't respecting your wishes then you need to make those wishes perfectly clear. Again.

• Goodness, just forget I said anything.