High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Type 1 insulin adjustments

I'm 27 weeks with my second, and holy crap have my insulin needs gone up a ton in the past few weeks. I think I remember this happening with my son, but not until 30 weeks.

I've done adjustments every other to every day for the past week and I hate seeing the high numbers that are still popping up randomly. We get one part of the day straightened out and then another time of day needs adjustment. Blerg.

How are the other Type 1 Mommas doing out there?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Type 1 insulin adjustments

• Options

I'm at 16 weeks with my first so I'm still trying to figure out my changing insulin needs.  For me so far I'm battling major low BG's (like I'm talking daily numbers around 1.4-1.6 mmol/L aka mid 20's mg/dl).  I have hypoglycemic unawareness so I usually can't tell on my own that I'm dropping.  My doctor is not too pleased...

I've been lowering my basal rates and trying my best to count carbs but so far I'm still getting low way too often.  I test every few hours and rely heavily on DH to tell me if I'm slurring or to take care of me for the middle of the night lows that happen when I'm sleeping.

I'm trying hard to keep my blood sugars where they should be but it's so much more difficult now that I'm pregnant than it was before.  I'm sure when I get closer to where you are (27 weeks or thereabouts) that I'll start with the insulin resistance too and that'll be a whole new learning curve!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I found with both pregnancies I had to really decrease my rates for the first 20 weeks and then started increasing after that.

I'm sure you know, but just keep checking your numbers frequently, hourly if you have to. Those are some really low numbers! Do you have a sensor with your pump? That might help too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks, that's good to know.  From what I've read I thought I was way off and that my resistance should be kicking in by now but I feel better that the same thing happened with you (ie having to decrease your rates for the first 20 weeks)!!

Yes, I am testing often, some days it's hourly, other days or times of day it's every 2-3 hours.  I have reminders set on my pump to test after I've given myself a bolus and besides those I just watch the clock and test often anyway... I'm sure I could do better because those lows still sneak up on me.  I don't have a sensor with my pump (totally would love one though)... I use an Animas pump.

I think the worst thing is that with my hypoglycemic unawareness, I can be walking around, feeling, talking and functioning completely normally at those low numbers and if I haven't tested to catch it soon enough, pretty soon I go from acting normally one minute to being passed out on the floor the next.  If I didn't have my DH around to rescue me at times like that I really don't know how I'd survive :s  For the most part, I do catch them with testing but it seems I need his help at least once a week or so.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had jumps at 22 weeks, 27, and now at 31 weeks. Seems to come on suddenly for me, but my MFM is happy as long as we catch it within a couple days. At 31.3, I'm now on almost twice my prepregnancy insulin dosage.
  • Options
    I'm 16 weeks pregnant and my basal is currently 1/2 what it was before I got pregnant. I had a ton of lows the first 10 weeks or so, but it has been better the past few weeks, and my CGM has really helped me catch them before I get too low. MFM said my insulin needs should start to increase in the 2nd trimester, and if it doesn't, there may be a problem with the placenta. I'm concerned because I haven't become insulin resistant at all yet, but from what some of you are saying, you seem to be experiencing the same thing. That makes me feel a little better.
  • Options
    This week has been hell for me. I'm already a ball of stress from not having my control as tight as I want it (I actually got smacked by my endo at my last appointment for being too strict with where I expect my control to be) and this week has brought with it another massive hike in my insulin needs. I broke down crying when I had to raise my max basal rate on my pump to accomodate the newest round of resistance. Just hit 27 weeks on Monday

• Options
    kedbachkedbach member
    Hi all, I created a Diabetic group, please join- it will make this easier!

I'm in my second trimester, and while my a1c is 6.0, I have found my insulin requirements are increasing!
  • Options
    jham201jham201 member
    I am currently 15 wks into my first pregnancy.  I was hospitalized last weekend with severe hypoglycemia.  I have a CGM with my pump (thank God) and the sudden drop in the middle of the night caused the alarm to go off, waking my husband.  He couldn't wake me and the ambulance had to transport me to the hospital because I was completely unresponsive.  So terrifying!  I am 15 weeks and have been experiencing some lows but this was exceptionally severe.  I have also been trying to keep the BGs down because I was told that it is the highs that negatively impact the baby.

I also have the unawareness and was prone to sudden swings prior to pregnancy.  (I am very sensitive to physical activity and my body is working very hard right now growing this baby.)  I have found the CGM to be a lifesaver....literally.  Baby and I are thankfully fine now, although I was temporarily put on half days at work for the week after the incident.  If you are experiencing similar problems, this device might be worth investigating.  I got it a few years ago due to hypo unawareness and it was one of the best decisions I have made for my health and has been so helpful during my pregnancy.
  • Options
    Mine is complete opposite. My insulin resistance shot up, from the first moment I got pregnant. I'm 8 weeks now and it's just starting to let up. Now I'm getting crazy lows around 11pm...dropped to 30 a few nights ago! Scary!